1.    #1  
  2.    #2  
    I went to a store w/c lets me play around with the xda. its really good. the screen is hi-res. its very light n compact, and its build quality is good. the store owner says the battery last 2 days.
    its pocket pc with gsm and full gprs.
    I purchased three of them from my local T-Mobile (Voicestream) store in San Diego a couple days ago. They are officially out.

Slightly thinner, however a bit taller and quite a bit heavier - has a nice solid feel. Great phone integration - GPRS works FANTASTIC when you have good signal strength. It is flaky in when low. Speeds up to 170K (they claim) however in reality about 60K - still impressive. So far, works as advertised.

T-Mobile is pushing really hard in California/Nevada and is running some REALLY agressive pricing for the next month to try to win business. They use all the Cingular towers with their own switching equipment so you get good coverage without the congestion.

Anyway - out goes my truely wonderful Treo.
  4.    #4  
    hi, thx for the info man. currently I am leaning towards buying an xda. how long does the battery last? can you put midi,wav or mp3 sounds as individual ringtones?
    It uses .wav files for the ringtones. The inport routine will automatically convert a variety of formats including MP3's to use as ringtones. The built-in mic will record and store as WAV which can be chosen as a ringtone.
    Does anyone know of a web site like this one devoted to the xda? I'm interested to read the early adopters' comments.
    David
    There are PocketPC specialized forums at Dale's site: http://www.pocketpcpassion.com - Just click on the discussion link at the top and then scroll down to XDA.
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...gy/3778109.htm

I have read that it is a terrible product. The economics of pocket pc make little sense to me. First it runs a 206 mhz processor. Why to I want to pay extra and carry around all of that extra juice, compared to ther 33 mhz dragonball in the treo. The only advantage is to be able to run msft's bloated code, which according to the article is still not user friendly.

msft keeps flailing away hopelessly trying to break into this market. Their economic proposition makes little sense from a user point of view. Just another place to invest some of the profits msft extorts from us with their pc monopoly. Wonder if they get any closer with their next attempt? I doubt it.
    I understand the perspective. The extra horsepower of the PPC is only to make up for the bloated code so there is no net gain.

The issues for me are that there is no cost increase for the PPC phone over the Treo. I paid $499 for the XDA and it includes the MP3 player, voice memo recorder, movie player, memory expansion slot, high res screen, full handwriting recognition, ... There are just too many benefits for no more cost. The performance is excelent despite it being from Microsoft.

I understand that there are reviews all over the place on most any device. I would encourage you to test both an make up your own mind where the best value is.
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/technology/personal_technology/3778109.htm
    Regardless of the slant, it's painful to read these articles from bozo journalists who are technology neophytes. I'm more trusting of users' opinions on these boards, 90% of which are more knowledgeable about technology anyway.
    David
    Originally posted by jjohnson
    I understand the perspective. The extra horsepower of the PPC is only to make up for the bloated code so there is no net gain.
    The same 206MHz ARM processor PalmOS is porting over to, no doubt. I wonder if PALM is anticipating some bloated code of their own as they chase after the Bluetooth, 802.11b, multi-media, multi-tasking capabilities their user base seems to be clamoring for.

I like my PPC, but it is not designed to be a phone. I liked my PalmOS devices, but they were not designed to be phones either. These are all PDAs with some telephoney (hmmm . . . phony?) slapped on with varying degrees of integration. Treo has done one of the best jobs to date with theirs, but the the author's comment that "the whole is less than the sum of its parts" seems to hold true in them all to varying degrees.

Phones tend to be tough, basic, functional devices that help you communicate in a second nature fashion. I can feel my dial keys without looking at them, I can tell my phone to dial a certain number. I can find out information about my roaming status/authorizations/codes with the punch of a couple of buttons. I learned 90% of my phone's functionality in about 5 minutes.

PDAs tend to be delicate, data-intensive devices that are susceptible to the elements (cold, heat, rain) and demanding of your full attention (you try "blind dialing" your Treo yet?) when you operate them. I've learned about 90% of my palm device's capability in about, hmmmm, 8 years now? (Still working on programming and there's always new software to try out!). It's a bit more daunting for your Palm or PocketPC beginner, that's for sure.

SHort story? Combining these two devices may save room in your pocket, but doesn't necessarily simplify your communicating or personal data life.

Kupe
    Last edited by Kupe; 08/03/2002 at 12:38 PM.
    I tend to think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Before, to dial a number, I had my palm in one hand, startac in another, and not a third hand for the stylus. Before, I had my keys and lighter in one pocket, wallet in another, cigs in another, palm in another, and startac on my belt. What if I have pants on that only have 3 pockets? Bluetooth still isn't widespread, and who wants to carry around a cable to link a phone with a pda? Definitely not a mobile solution. Having a smartphone means one less cradle, one fewer battery to check.
    David
    Interesting.

When I dial a number I either say "call office,", press and hold the number 5 on my phone's keypad, dial it's 3 digit quick dial (happens to be 111), or dial the number from memory. Returning calls is a simple macro. All of these I can do without looking at the phone - and hands-free when I use the speaker-phone mode,

Bluetooth isn't widespread. Neither are a lot of things (like a Treo with a functioning backlight? ), but it is available, and growing more so daily. No need for cables, and your phone remains just a phone, except when it's a truly wireless modem for your handheld device.

One fewer battery to check? I generally recharge my phone twice a week, just to be sure - but it lasts for days without any attention from me. That's one battery I never bother to check.

Clearly it's a matter of taste. With the "all-in-one" solution you get the convenience of everything in a single package. At the same time you can lose everything in a single bad event. One backlight burnout and you're out a phone, organizer, and link to the web. It's nice to have some robustness . . . for a lower price. Even my phone does many of the Palm's organizer functions, just not so elegantly.

Kupe
    Clearly it's a matter of taste.
    Finally something I can agree with you. Here's an example of how smartphones come in handy. When I left for work this morning, I had no idea I'd be stuck mid-day looking for "malt-dextrose" in a grocery store. In the checkout line, after someone buying $350 of groceries, I pulled up the Britannica web clipping app, and read up on what "malt" is. It was a more effective use of my time than vacantly watching the person's groceries ahead of me passing over the scanner. While you could have done the same with multiple bluetooth enabled devices, my method is more elegant in my perspective. I have read about setup problems getting the PDA to connect through another device. My device came setup and ready to go out of the box.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    I have read about setup problems getting the PDA to connect through another device. My device came setup and ready to go out of the box.
    At least while your backlight is working!

Setup is amazingly simple, and the bluetooth capability also allows me to put the PocketPC into Synch mode as soon as I walk into my house or into my office. You don't still use one of those archaic docking stations do you?

Kupe