1.    #1  
    My hinge seems to have come with a small crack that is getting progressively larger each time I open my treo.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Mine seems fine. I'm surprised how well it holds up. Perhaps a call to HS is in order?
  3.    #3  
    Well...its going to be 5 days...but I'm getting a brand new phone in the mail for no charge.

Thanks HS support if you're listening. No wait and a very friendly rep.

Hopefully the hot glue will hold in the meantime! The hinge plastic finally gave out last night.

I'm glad no one else is having this problem...probably just a flaw in that piece of plastic.

Once I get my new phone and somebody figures out how to make this thing ring louder! We'll be golden!

Then maybe in a year they'll offer a trade up offer for the 270, yes that would be sweet indeed.
  4.    #4  
    Called Tuesday Morning about the hinge.

Got a new Phone Thursday morning!

Thanks Handspring. Great job!
    My Treo screeches when i open it, like plastic is rubbing against eachother. And it looks like i have a crack in it, like you guys.
    Im going to call up tonight, when my father gets home and try to get a replacement. Is handspring shipping out NEW phones, or refurbished replacements?

And...how do you protect your Treo from getting scratched? Im used to tossing my Nokia 8290 into my backpack and going off to where, so i tried with my Treo to see major scratches form on the back, and on the front near the Flip logo. I gotta take a look for a sleek form fitting case, instead of the belt clip which wears paint off the back also.

Thanks for all the help.
    I've experience no trouble with the hinge on my 180g. I use it heavily every day and I'm very impressed with the hinge's beefy design. I went through 2 StarTAC phones due to hinge problems, but I'm confident this one will hold up nicely.
    Best,

Mead
    I had a Treo with a cracked hinge and the Handspring Support people couldn't have been bigger jerks. They told me plastics weren't covered. I had to get a new one by shelling out $100 for a replacement under my compusa extended service plan. The new lid broke after two months as well. Now I've resigned myself to no more lids. You can undo the bottom of the Treo, carefully remove the jack for the microphone, pull it out the top, pull out the hinge and now you have a lidless Treo. Not ideal, but it will do for now. The handsfree set still works fine.
  8.    #8  
    Its always important to read the warranty carefully before contacting the service rep. Then you can describe the problem in a way that they will be able to help you.

Mine was replaced free of charge because I believe the problem was there when the phone was delivered to me. Therefore the clause that limits their liability regarding mechanical failures didn't apply. The product was defective from the beginning.

It only appeared to be a very small scratch...and then it opened up into a larger one. There is quite a bit of torque on this piece of plastic making it possible for a small hairline crack to open up.

Perhaps your new phone was defective on delivery and you are entitled to a new phone free of charge...and given that you had paid to have a replacement phone for this EXACT problem...you should be given the advance replacement without the 25.00 dollar charge.

I would also suggest you buy a thick case for your treo since you seem to be jinxed.
    Last edited by nzmoko; 10/08/2002 at 01:36 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Big screen...very fragile...much money replace...

rrrrrrrrrghhh

me keep flip cover.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Another Hinge Casualty, the right side just fell apart when I tried to answer a call this weekend. I NEVER saw a crack, but did notice the hinge felt a bit loose. Then WHAM, it self destructed into lots of little pieces.

Handspring Tech Support was a joke, he couldn't even "find" me in the system. Even though I ordered from the Friggin Handspring WebSite. Just too close to closing time for him, he told me to call back on Monday. Been on hold for 15 minutes so far, wonder how well it will go this time.

I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the phone, I sure hope it covers this repair, otherwise I'm done with handspring and the treo. Nice attempt, poor execution.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Well, perhaps I should recant my previous post, I finally got through to Tech Support again today, and the experiance could not have been better.

The Tech immediately found me in the system, saw the warranty and issued an advanced replacement at no charge.

Please Note:
    She did say that this was a known issue, and it would be covered under warranty. So, that's important to know if you need a repair covered under warranty.
    what does "advanced replacement" mean? I need to get mine replaced tomorrow and want to have all necessary terms in place so that I don't get shafted
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Advanced Replacement is where they send you another Treo, overnight and you agree to send the defective unit back within 10 days.

There is a $25 charge for the overnight shipping under this program. But it's definatly worth it because your downtime in minimized.
    I've qualified for 2 advanced replacements, without having to pay the $25. However, they have never come overnight. To Canada, which is, oh so far away, and which they ship out of Ontario anyway, seem to take at least a week.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I've always gotten mine overnight, and I've never had to pay the $25, but I've got the extended warranty. Just wanted to make sure people were aware that they will ask for your credit card # and want $25.

Honestly, I dont mind paying if I can have the replacement overnight. It costs me a heck of a lot more the $25 to be without the phone.
    I don't need the phone back immediately -- can't I just request "normal" mail and get around the $25.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Drakion

And...how do you protect your Treo from getting scratched? Im used to tossing my Nokia 8290 into my backpack and going off to where, so i tried with my Treo to see major scratches form on the back, and on the front near the Flip logo. I gotta take a look for a sleek form fitting case, instead of the belt clip which wears paint off the back also.

Thanks for all the help.
    I got a replacement during the summer because of a faulty screen. Thought i would be more careful with it this time, i treated it like a baby and there wasnt a single scratch on it.

The one day i forgot it in my briefcase, when i picked it up i had missed a call and the vibrations had cause some mean scratches on the front ie. flakes of paint have been grinded off.