Hi,

Anyone has a recommendation on what software to load
    in such a way that I can use the scroll bar (up/down) on
    the left side of the screen?

Right now it's kind of awkward in using the right scroll bar
    'coz my hand always interfere with the display everytime
    I use it.

It's a good thing there's a jog dialer on the side but,
    nonetheless, I still need the software I mentioned earlier.

Please help.
    Thanks.

GMOJ
    ------------------------
    I Love my Treo 270
    Try LeftHack (requires HackMaster or XMaster). It's not perfect, but it moves the scrollbar to the left side on most programs.

Michael
    Yes. You can do a search for it at www.palmgear.com. Its the only solution I know for lefties.

Originally posted by mfacelle
    Try LeftHack (requires HackMaster or XMaster). It's not perfect, but it moves the scrollbar to the left side on most programs.

Michael
    There's also a program called Lefty, which does the same thing. Does anyone know which will work for more applications (or would they be the same if they simply set some hidden flag that other programs might look for)?
    Originally posted by hesspaul
    There's also a program called Lefty, which does the same thing. Does anyone know which will work for more applications (or would they be the same if they simply set some hidden flag that other programs might look for)?
    Lefty and Lefthack are different.
    Lefty is the one that sets a system preference for Left-handedness. Programs must be written to support the Lefty Preference. There are several programs that do, such as Wordsmith and Handyshopper2. But, if a program isn't written to look for that preference, it won't put the scroll bar on the left.

LeftHack, on the other hand, is a hack *because* it attempts to patch other programs to put the scroll bar on the left. I haven't tried it because it doesn't bother me too much for most apps, since I usually just use the scroll buttons of the jog rocker. The program with hacks is that every hack introduces instability into the system. Even the most stable hacks can become unstable with certain applications, and lefthack is one of those system-wide tweaks that I try to steer away from.

Feel free to try LeftHack, of course, but better safe than sorry, be sure to have a complete backup of all the data on your device in case some app doesn't like to have its scroll bar moved.

The other solution is to request that the author of your favorite apps support the Lefty preference. From what I've been told by some programmers, it's quite easy to implement. The advantage is that by supporting Lefty itself, they don't have to provide a way to toggle left-handed support in their own program (like Wordsmith does, which actually just provides it's own toggle for the Lefty preference).

Hope that helped,
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for reminding me that the best
    resort is to inform the author rather than
    introducing hacks into the system.

Again, thanks.

GMOJ
    -----------------------
    I Love My Treo270
    I've traditionally used the lefthack but found it messes up the left space on some programs...it tries to move the scroll bar over but just messes up the text/graphics there...and on some programs like Avantgo it doesn't do anything...have to try that Lefty program...
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    i think left-handed people should take over, we are all smarter anyway --- JKE

Something for the software writers out there to think about....would you include a feature in your software if you knew that 25% of your customers would use it?!?! thatís the percentage of people that are left handed. i guess we just need to be louder about our 'disability' lol
    (no offence to people with real disabilities).

Aug 13 was left-handers day lol
    http://www.left-handersday.com/tour6.html
    Last edited by adderx99; 08/18/2002 at 08:44 PM.
    ScrollBar5 (for PalmOS 5.x only) can move the scrollbar to the left hand side for some well behaved apps.