1.    #1  
    So after using the old "search" function above, I've sadly come to the realization that NO BODY has figured out an effective way to light up the 180 keyboard...

If you have, PLEASE let us all know.
  2.    #2  
    anyone know if the Treo 90 has a backlit Keyboard
    No. Only the Treo 270 has a lighted keyboard.

Originally posted by dannoz
    anyone know if the Treo 90 has a backlit Keyboard
  4.    #4  
    Alrighty... how about this...

Anyone know of a product (home depot / lowes) that can be used to make plastic replicas of things. IE: make a mold of the original then inject some resin/plastic and make a clear duplicate?

Heck... wouldn't just some outdoor clear silicon caulking work? Make a clay/wax mold and pour some caulk on it? Adding a LED/switch shouldn't be that difficult
    Here are my two ideas...

1: I've never tried it on anything, but i always thought this MIGHT work. What if you found a clear glow in the dark paint, something that would stick to plastic. The glow might give off enough light to read the letter. Or, if there was a glow in the dark sticker type thing, that was clear. You could cut out small dots and place it on the keys.

2: If someone went through the documents on the Treo's power system, and find out how to draw power from the unit through the hotsync port, one could illuminate the whole keyboard with a small LED.

Im no electronics engineer, so i couldnt do such a thing.
  6.    #6  
    The glow in the dark sticker thing... probably not a bad idea. I'll look into that. I have doubts about glow in the dark paint though. I don't imagine it would stay on well. Maybe mix it with some epoxy though???

As far as an LED goes, are you suggesting some sort of External led to cast light across the keyboard?
  7.    #7  
    OK... this sounds like a GREAT solution...

http://www.glo-net.com/glow/pellets.html

This company sells many glow in the dark products. One of them is glow in the dark plastic pellets which can be melted then used in molding things.

Sounds like a perfect solution. Make a plaster mold of the original keyboard. Place Black Plastic letters in the wells made by the keys, inject glow-in-the-dark plastic... done

To ANYONE with experience, does this sound feasible.

--------------------------

I know you're tired of hearing from me... but this company also makes GLOWING adhesive backed film. Much easier.
    how could you get a mold of the keyboard? if you asked handspring, and you said you were developing a lighting system, you think they could help you out? someones bound to come out with an upgraded keyboard that will void the warrenty sometime...i hope. if not, and led lit across the keyboard would be great...i would make mine metallic blue or something!
    Originally posted by Drakion
    how could you get a mold of the keyboard? if you asked handspring, and you said you were developing a lighting system, you think they could help you out? someones bound to come out with an upgraded keyboard that will void the warrenty sometime...i hope. if not, and led lit across the keyboard would be great...i would make mine metallic blue or something!
    I haven't looked, but older Visor models had technical (CAD) drawings available free in the Developer's area of Handspring.com
    Jeff
    my train of thought was waiting to see if gethightech.com or some other company released OEM replacement parts for the Treo and then buy a backlit 270 keyboard and figure out how to fit it into the 90/180. Or one could contact Handspring about buying just a 270 keyboard...I'm sure they're not that expensive, or cheaper than buying a kilogram of those glow-in-the-dark pellets...
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    I sold my 180 to buy the 270 and do love the lighted keyboard. When I had my 180, I always wondered if I bought some type of mirror/reflective tape (like the kind I have on my windows in my home) and put it on that clear plastic area of the Treo, if it would shine enough light down to the keypad area from the reflection on the screen?
    Nope. I tried it. :-) I put a mirror above the screen, and at the perfect angle it worked fine, but at that angle you couldn't see the screen at all.