1.    #1  
    I beleive that there is something like a 160 char limit on the Treo's SMS messaging. Does anyone know if this is a software limitation on Handspring's utility, the Treo OS, or a limitation by the coverage provider?

Right now I use my Archwireless pager to send messages to Datacastnews.com to get info returned to it in the same way that the Treo gets SMS from Voicesteam. If I try sending to the same address from the Treo, I get a reply back that gets truncated due to the char limit. Is there anyway around this? For example, sending the message "philadelphia long" to "weather@archwireless.com" will send back a detailed five day forecast to the archwireless pager. The Treo gets the message truncated around day 2.

Thanks,

Bob
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    I beleive that there is something like a 160 char limit on the Treo's SMS messaging. Does anyone know if this is a software limitation on Handspring's utility, the Treo OS, or a limitation by the coverage provider?
    It is a limitation of the GSM version of SMS in general, not tied to any phone or network provider.
    There is another thread that has some info I posted on what I found out with SMS Concatenation and Voicestream. [CONCATENATED SMS and other questions]

Here is the gist of what I know.

Message concatenation on the outgoing side is a software/device thing. Some apps and devices support it and some do not. I was told by HandSpring that if I found an app that allowed it, I could create an SMS message as long as I wanted and the software would break it up in to smaller messages to send it. I have the Nokia 3390 and it will let you create and send a message longer than 160, it just breaks it up into multiple messages.

Receiving is another matter. I was told by Voicestream that they do not support messages longer than 160 characters. If someone sends me a long message (longer than 160 characters) their server will truncate it and only give me the first 160 characters.

I have a friend who has Cingular, and if someone sends her a message longer than 160, it is broken into multiple messages and she receives the multiple messages.

Hope that helps.
  4.    #4  
    So in other words, ARGHHHHH!!!!!! Thanks for the info.
    Any GSM Service has the 160 char. limit.

Enhanced SMS or future SMS implementations will fix this issue, but we still have to get everyone up to speed!
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Although from what I've pieced together, AT&T perhaps only allows 140 chars. It may or may not have to do with the 'character set' - whether it's 7 bits or 8 bits. I'm not sure what this means, but for some reason I don't think m incoming emails are being counted as ping pongs for voicestream.

I forward all incoming emails to my treo, and I know that I've had more than 32 emails since my cycle on jul 15, yet that is the number that VS reports...Strange....
    I use Cingular on a contract and I can send multi part > 160 char messages with no hassle either as regular sms or to email addresses. My wife has a pay as you go SIM and she has problems sending anything above 160 characters (says the message is pending and then send previous SMS instead - now she just sends <=160 length). It seems to depend upon the SIM and carrier. The Treo is fully capable of multi-part sending and receiving.
    META_DAVe - What SMS software are you using on the Treo? My software will not let me send more than 140 characters out on my Treo. I was told this was a software thing and I've been looking for software that will break a long message up into multiple messages on the outgoing side.

If anyone knows of some good SMS software for the Treo that will break messages up, I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.