1.    #1  
    It looks like Sprint is going to introduce a walkie-talkie feature for all phones on its new 3G network, which of course includes the Treo 300. Apparently, no additional special hardware is required.

http://www.thestreet.com/_iwon/tech/...IWON1111051500
    Yup, the push-to-talk feature is suppose to be implemented shortly after the launch of the 3G network. Its been in the works for sometime now, I'm surprised no one else has run an article on it. This is obviously not good news for Nextel.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    Yup, the push-to-talk feature is suppose to be implemented shortly after the launch of the 3G network. Its been in the works for sometime now, I'm surprised no one else has run an article on it. This is obviously not good news for Nextel.
    Yeah, how did something this big get sprung on us so suddenly? And did anyone else get the impression that Sprint PCS has caught the rest of the industry flat-footed?
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by Robert K.

Yeah, how did something this big get sprung on us so suddenly?
    Well, over at the I300 board, Homer ("the-homer" on this board) made us aware of this upcoming push-to-talk feature a couple of months ago. Haven't seem him posting recently, been meaning to ask him if he has any new news concerning Sprint and the 7135.
    uncledrunkle wrote:
    It looks like Sprint is going to introduce a walkie-talkie feature for all phones on its new 3G network, which of course includes the Treo 300.

Hmm. I seemed to have missed the part about PTT being included on the Treo 300. There's no mention of it in the article, and it doesn't show up in the T300 manual or the FCC filings. Naturally, I can only hope I'm wrong.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    Haven't seem him posting recently, been meaning to ask him if he has any new news concerning Sprint and the 7135.
    Hmmm, maybe he is helping stuff brand-spanking new Sprint Treo-300's into boxes to get to distributors!!!!

7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

Hmm. I seemed to have missed the part about PTT being included on the Treo 300. There's no mention of it in the article, and it doesn't show up in the T300 manual or the FCC filings. Naturally, I can only hope I'm wrong.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Sprint PCS' technology makes it "technologically possible" to deliver such services on an existing base of phones already upgraded to its CDMA (code division multiple access) 1xRTT network, unlike Nextel, which require special handsets, Sprint executives said. "

Which means that the PTT technology doesn't reside on the handset itself but rather on the 1xRTT network.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Robert K.

Yeah, how did something this big get sprung on us so suddenly? And did anyone else get the impression that Sprint PCS has caught the rest of the industry flat-footed?
    I think Hanspring has learned their lesson about hyping up future products (or their capabilities) while trying to sell current products. People will tend to wait for the future product while sales of current products suffers. You saw this with the announcement of the 270 as the Visor line and the 180 sales suffered.

You also see this with the announcement of the Kyo 7165. I'll wager that once the 7165 comes out that there'll be a product announcement from another company about a cooler product that's coming out in 6 months and that the same people that waited for the Kyo will continue to wait and wait and wait.
    Originally posted by uncledrunkle

I'll wager that once the 7165 comes out that there'll be a product announcement from another company about a cooler product that's coming out in 6 months and that the same people that waited for the Kyo will continue to wait and wait and wait.
    Not me!!!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    uncledrunkle wrote:
    Which means that the PTT technology doesn't reside on the handset itself but rather on the 1xRTT network.

That much I understand, but instructions on using PTT are nowhere in the T300 manual. I read about Sprint moving to add this technology a couple of months ago, well before the manual was available from the FCC, and was left to assume that it would appear in next-generation Treos. Also, I think it would be better for marketing and functionality if they were to add a specific button for the feature, as Nextel does for their Direct Connect.

Then again, this phone's been delayed longer than is reasonable, which could be accounted for by modifying the hardware. And like I've said, this is an argument I would love to lose.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

That much I understand, but instructions on using PTT are nowhere in the T300 manual. I read about Sprint moving to add this technology a couple of months ago, well before the manual was available from the FCC, and was left to assume that it would appear in next-generation Treos. Also, I think it would be better for marketing and functionality if they were to add a specific button for the feature, as Nextel does for their Direct Connect.

Then again, this phone's been delayed longer than is reasonable, which could be accounted for by modifying the hardware. And like I've said, this is an argument I would love to lose.
    I'm not sure I understand your confusion... this is not the same technology that is used with Nextel, therefore there is no requirement for a specific dedicated button to push as with Nextel. In fact, as the article implies, there is no additional hardware required on the phone itself - as long as they are 1xRTT compatiable. The button that you are familiar with could simply be implemented in another way such as pushing the Send button to speak, or in the case of the Treo, the Return button. It all depends on how the network software implements the feature - Sprint hasn't revealed how it actually works yet.
    uncledrunkle:

I was skeptical, since the T300 manual on the FCC site didn't mention the feature. But a couple of days ago Handspring submitted a page from the "Start.book" (sic) that comes with the Treo, which does not correspond to the orginal manual. The page was sent by Handspring's regulatory engineer, David Waitt, instead of the full manual requested by the FCC.

David wrote:
    In response to the FCC request for a corrected SAR statement I am providing this page from the users manual that contains the SAR statement. At thes time I cannot provide the entire user manual due to the fact that it contains some "marketing sensitive" material. The complete manual will be available for upload at a later date, after product launch, if required.

So the posted manual says nothing new, but the real manual apparently has at least something juicy. Since Sprint's user manuals usually don't discuss specific pricing, I would infer that PPT is the killer app being kept under wraps here, especially since PTT would most like change the SAR from what was originally reported.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Wow... that's enough to make me want to consider the Treo 300.

Ok, financially it's an impossibility right now, but maybe I'll go for the 2nd generation one...

The Treo 300 wouldn't need a dedicated button (where some more basic phones might), but it would either need some quick-dial list (i.e. an extra screen in Contacts) or some other sort of quick way to reach the other people in question this way. With a Nextel phone, you can reach other Nextel users in your company/group with just a few button-pushes; it'll be interesting to see how Sprint has this implemented.
    Last edited by Q; 08/02/2002 at 06:06 PM.