1.    #1  
    When I have my Treo on silent mode but with vibrate on, the vibrations often cause the lid to shake against the body of the Treo itself. Ironically, this is often louder than the ring when it's on...

Any ideas on how to dampen this noise? I was thinking tape or tiny little plastic/rubber feet.

-johnny0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    If you keep your Treo in your pocket, instead of on a hard surface like a table, the vibration should not be too bad.

Anyway, it is still less distracting (and annoying) than high-pitched ringtones. Perhaps put a soft tissue paper between the body and the lid?

Regards,

Michel
    No, no, I'm having this same problem.

I recently bought a Treo180 (it's not that I'm that outdated; 180's are just recently being sold here in Chile) and one thing that annoyed me right from the beginning was how loud the vibrate mode buzzed. It really does more buzzing than vibrating: vibration is weak, while the buzzing is embarrassingly loud when you are in an environment where you really don't want your phone making noises.

At first I thought it might just be a flawed design, but last week I had a chance to compare my unit with another 180, and you could clearly see the difference. My friend's unit quietly vibrates. Mine just buzzes.

Has anyone had this problem before? I believe I'll turn the unit back to my phone company for a replacement, but I suspect I'll have a hard time explaining the problem. If I'm not successful, does anyone know how the vibrator is mounted in the Treo? Maybe this part just came loose and could be fixed by glueing it back or something. Any ideas?
    its the first of its kind - an audiovibrator. i'm quite comfy with the way my treo vibrates loudly - never bothered my neighbours, always heard the vibration in case i wasn't able to feel it. its quite ok for me.
    Originally posted by jinx
    its the first of its kind - an audiovibrator. i'm quite comfy with the way my treo vibrates loudly - never bothered my neighbours, always heard the vibration in case i wasn't able to feel it. its quite ok for me.
    LOL I agree, one can find uses for this "feature" (yesterday I was able to hear my phone vibrating in a nearby room, even with the door closed!!), but sometimes it is really annoying. After all, "silent" mode really shoud be silent.

Anyway, I sent my Treo back to my phone company today, and I'm expecting a replacement unit soon. They told me they have had several similar returns, so a whole Treo shipment seems to have this problem.

Let's hope everything goes well...