So I guess we're not just a bunch of crying, whining compainers after all!!!!!

Anyway - 4 weeks to go until my replacement passes the "six-week hump"

Michael
    ... exactly today my backlight died on me. The good thing is that my replacement would not have this problem at all, but on the bad side... now I can *receive* calls only for 4 weeks.

Arrgh :P
    Ok ... first off ...

YAY - they admitted that there's a problem with these units. That's a good thing.

Secondly ....

ARGH - "As a cautionary measure, the company is currently not shipping orders of Treo 90 and Treo 270 until the screening process is completed. Shipments should resume within the next two to three weeks."

Ok. They are not shipping orders. Does that mean new orders only, or replacement/RMA orders as well? I just got the email confirmation yesterday that I'm getting an Advance Replacement for my 270 -- but I was hoping it'll be here in the next couple of days instead of 2-3 weeks from now.

-Doug

PS: I left feedback for Handspring on the URL at the top of the thread, praising them for being open and honest about this issue publicly. I would encourage others to do the same if you feel the same way.
    I suspect that replacements will take 2 - 3 weeks too. Hope you have a backup phone.

Originally posted by dtoombs

Ok. They are not shipping orders. Does that mean new orders only, or replacement/RMA orders as well? I just got the email confirmation yesterday that I'm getting an Advance Replacement for my 270 -- but I was hoping it'll be here in the next couple of days instead of 2-3 weeks from now.

-Doug
    That's what they told me - 2-3 weeks for them to do the screening, then depending on how early you request replacement, up to another week...

Regards,

Michel
    From the same website:

Q. How long will my advance replacement unit take to arrive?
    A. Handspring is offering our advance replacement program for free to address this issue. However, we expect to have an initial backlog, and therefore it might take up to two weeks for the replacement units to arrive. We will replace units on a first-in/first-out basis.
    The good news is they have acknowledged the problem, the bad news is it took 8 weeks of people telling them they had a problem before they would admit it.
    My backlight went out on July 18th. I had an RMA number the same day. My replacement has shipped today, supposedly with the new components. Apparently they are doing the right thing and taking care of current problems ahead of shipping new orders.
    Kevin
    My backlight just went out today. :-( I was told that a replacement would take 5-8 business days. No sooner. Had the unit for about 5 weeks.