Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased a treo 270 with voicestream service. I am planning on using web clipping applications and Blazer. Do I need to subscribe to a 3rd party internet service so I can get an ISP address so I can make data calls?

If so, on a monthly basis, the cost for the phone service and a third party ISP can get real expensive. Are there other alternatives.

PLEAE HELP!

Thanks
    Yes you need to subscribe to an ISP. At least until the GPRS update is available. budgetdialup.com. You also use your minutes while connected. Some people have posted that their anytime were used even on the weekends. I cannot confirm this since all the minutes in my plan are anytime minutes.

Although the connection is slower than GPRS and you have to get an ISP, for me it is cheaper than GPRS will be. GPRS supposedly will be charged by the amount you use. Currently I pay just $10 a month for 25 hours with my ISP.

The only annoying thing is waiting for the phone to connect to the ISP.

I recommend Cell Plan Tracker which can track your voice and data minutes to make sure you dont go over your plan. I use it to track my data minutes also to make sure I don't use more than 25 hours.
    Thanks

Majic JayJ
    Originally posted by jayj
    Some people have posted that their anytime were used even on the weekends.
    Weekend data calls are charged weekend minutes. If you have unlimited weekends, then you have unlimited weekend internet.

Michael
    Actually, you DO NOT need a separate ISP. CLICK HERE for more info
    Some people have posted that their anytime were used even on the weekends. I cannot confirm this since all the minutes in my plan are anytime minutes.
    Sometimes in setting up new accounts, internet access is billed as weekday regardless of when it is used. Just call them up and tell them that they made a mistake and they will change it back and credit your account. That happened to me the first month ($100 in extra minute charges! yikes. Good thing it was reversed.)
    Originally posted by MitzEclipse
    Actually, you DO NOT need a separate ISP. CLICK HERE for more info
    This is technically true but VoiceStream AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $an$ $SMTP$ $server$ $for$ $outgoing$ $e$-$mail$. $So$ $you$ $still$ $need$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $third$-$party$ $ISP$ $to$ $send$ $e$-$mail$.

This is unfortunate since I was happily using VoiceStream's nice, fast ISDN line connection for web browsing and receiving e-mail until I actually had to send e-mail and had to close my VoiceStream connection and to make another data call to connect to my regular ISP.
    Darth,

Very true... I don't use an email client (I just use Yahoo Mail wap access) so I wasn't thinking about an SMTP server.
    I'm having trouble getting this method to work on my Treo. Some of the posts are a bit contradictory. If anyone has this working, I would appreciate it if you could give me some help with my settings. They are:

System(Category)/Preferences/Connection
    ====================
    Configuration: Custom
    <edit>
    Name: Voicestream ISDN
    Connection Method: Wiresless Modem to Modem
    Dialing: TouchTone
    Volume: Off
    <Details>
    Speed: 57,600 bps
    Flow Ctl: Automatic
    Init String: AT&FX4;+cbst=71,0,1

System/Preferences/Network
    ================
    Service: VoiceStream
    User Name: (enter a space)
    Password: (enter a space)
    Connection: Voicestream ISDN
    Phone: 19132440821

Details...
    Connection type: PPP
    Idle timeout: 3 Minutes
    (not checked) Query DNS
    Primary DNS: 65.161.188.100
    Secondary DNS: (none)
    IP Address: Automatic

Thanks,

Bob
    In the Init string, put the semicolon at the end of the line, or just use +cbst=71,0,1; I use this and it works fine.
    One thing I learned today from Voicestream is to check "Disable call waiting." You reach this screen by clicking on the phone number in network settings. I don't have a code to disable call waiting, just a blank. But my connections have been getting progressively more rare, and checking "disable call waiting" cured the problem!
    Changing the init string solved the problem without clicking the disable call waiting. I tried clicking disable call waiting with the 1170 code and the call failed for some odd reason. I can see how an incoming call could hose your connection with call waiting but I don't see how clicking disable call waiting without a code would do anything to help the problem. Nevertheless, I will keep it in mind if I start having problems. I don't know if its just me, but it seemed a little faster than with my ISP.

Thanks for the help, and just to avoid confusion for any newcomers the complete settings that will work for the Treo 270 are:

System(Category)/Preferences/Connection
    ====================
    Configuration: Custom
    <edit>
    Name: Voicestream ISDN
    Connection Method: Wiresless Modem to Modem
    Dialing: TouchTone
    Volume: Off
    <Details>
    Speed: 57,600 bps
    Flow Ctl: Automatic
    Init String: +cbst=71,0,1;

System/Preferences/Network
    ================
    Service: VoiceStream
    User Name: (enter a space)
    Password: (enter a space)
    Connection: Voicestream ISDN
    Phone: 19132440821

Details...
    Connection type: PPP
    Idle timeout: 3 Minutes
    (not checked) Query DNS
    Primary DNS: 65.161.188.100
    Secondary DNS: (none)
    IP Address: Automatic
    When I sign on using Bob-C's values, I get an error stating "please check your username and password and try again (0x1233)".
    I am putting a single space between the brackets, which used to work, but no longer does.
    I am putting a single space between the brackets, which used to work, but no longer does.
    Do not include the parentheses -- just put a single space in the username and passwd fields.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    UniPalmer

Do not include the parentheses -- just put a single space in the username and passwd fields
    Thanks for the clarification...although... I was using the parenthesis for a month, and it was working. I'm back on line, now.
    Is there another number to dial? I have free long distance but only in the four northwest states.
    Thanks

Majic JayJ
    Is there another number to dial? I have free long distance but only in the four northwest states.
    The only numbers I've seen are Florida and Connecticut.

Michael
    You may want to call VS and get upgraded to the newer plans that have free nationwide longdistance and free nationwide roaming.

I'd do this if I were you, and you'd be in the same cost-bracket - you may lose some grandfathered features such as "first incoming minuite free", so YMMV.
    okay today is september 22, 2002 and i just got off the phone with customer service.

i was asking her how internet access was billed. she said if you dont have a current "internet mb plan" it can be quite expensive.

she said all the pda phones automically get access to internet with their software without pre-stating a plan.

however internet data minutes get billed by the MB and are seperate from voice minutes.

am i getting the wrong information? she was clueless about GPRS. i just want to surf the net using my VOICE minutes. though i only have 250 anytime, i have unlimited weekends like everyone else.

i am on the nationwide talk and text plan (without any MB) but i get 500 SMS messages.

thanks.
    Assuming you are connecting via good ole GSM, you are billed as if it is a voice call. On your bill the code letter is an "E", indicating a data call, but it is charged against voice minutes (no charge for unlimited weekends, of course).

Michael
    thanks michael.

so going to GPRS is a catch-22 with T-mobile.

faster speeds, but you are billed at a more expensive rate because you are charged per MB.

in that case, ill just stick with GSM for now.

if internet calls are billed as VOICE mintues for GSM, then i might go to the 600 anytime minutes and add unlimited nights.

$39.99 + $6.99 (unlimited nights)+ $2.99 (500 text messeges)

anyway thanks again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast