1.    #1  
    hey guys,

does anyone know if i can use the treo with tmobile in bay area ?
    i would like to get 270 but dont want to go with cingular.

any info appreciated.

regards,
    n
    They are Voicestream, so the answer would be yes...
    I found out about T-Mobile while shopping for a Treo 180 on Amazon.com and here's the deal with them:

They are know on the east coast as Voicestream (as previously mentioned), but it looks like their parent company in Europe is wanting to spread out to the west as T-Mobile.

According to T-Mobile (and Cingular), they will be using Cingular's towers as well as their own so they say the service will be better than Cingulars. I certainly hope so, 'cause Cingular's sucks sometimes in San Diego.

Their prices are certainly better than either Sprint or Cingular so I'll give 'em a shot with my new Treo 180...

Rick
    Originally posted by rickdeet
    I certainly hope so, 'cause Cingular's sucks sometimes in San Diego.
    I can confirm that! I'm in San Diego this week for a convention (OSCON) out by the airport. You would think they would have excellent coverage by the airport, but no it really sucks here. I can't wait till I drive 90 miles north back to Orange County...
    FYI, the VoiceStream name will disappear nationwide by this fall. It'll all be T-Mobile, worldwide. Check out http://www.myvoicestream.com and click on "Learn About the New T-Mobile Brand" if you're interested.
    Does that mean that we will be able to buy a 270 with a T-Mobile plan soon, instead of Cingular? Hope so. That's apparently not the case right now since the 270 is not on their website.

Dan.
    You can buy the 270 directly from Handspring with Voicestream/T Mobile service. I did. Voicestream is not a reseller of the Treo, and independents typically won't carry the Treo because Handspring cuts the profit margin too small for them.
    Originally posted by Preston
    You can buy the 270 directly from Handspring with Voicestream/T Mobile service. I did. Voicestream is not a reseller of the Treo, and independents typically won't carry the Treo because Handspring cuts the profit margin too small for them.
    I could do that if I lived back east, but I live in CA. When I put in my area code I only have the option of choosing Cingular service. T-Mobile has launched here in the Bay Area, so the service is available. The company is really Voicestream, so I hope to be able to get it the T270 out here. Unless Cingular has some sort of licensing deal to handle the west coast. If so, I wonder when that expires. I emailed T-Mobile and am awaiting their response.

I guess I *could* get a plan based in Kansas and have my parents' address as the shipping address, then ask to change areas . . . but the plans on the T-Mobile website are better than the Voicestream ones through Handspring!

Dan.