Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The old Yahoo! Messenger for Palm OS has stopped working, I assume somehow connected with the version upgrades that Yahoo has applied to desktop versions and the removal of support for older versions.

Does anyone know if Yahoo has committed to release an updated version of the Palm version?

Fyi, I tried to send a 'feedback form' on Yahoo Palm to ask this question but got '404'.

Thanks /Tim

Treo 180
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    Yahoo! Messenger works like a champ on my Edge! I use it all the time.
  3.    #3  
    Funny you are successful. (even today?) Every time I try and login I’m told that, “this version is NO LONGER supported”. Then it displays this url:

http://messenger.yahoo.com/notice.html

… where I’m told the following:

“Beginning on July 17th 2002, we will no longer support some older versions of Yahoo! Messenger. To upgrade or find an alternative solution, please refer to the appropriate operating system below:”

The table after this text has NO listing for a Palm OS version.

Further thoughts? /Tim
    Crap. I'm getting the same error now

I don't know what to do...
  5.    #5  
    E-mailed Handspring about the appearance of Yahoo! Messenger on the recommened list of wireless apps on their web site. I suggested that they remove it from their site as it no longer works.

Got a reply from them that my comment was being forwarded to the department where such decisions are made.

The person sending the message admitted that she was getting the same error and that it would be a shame if Yahoo wouldn't provide a new version for Palm OS users.

I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop now.

Best /Tim
    Timboyd,

Yea, I'm pretty sure Yahoo will setup and support Y! Messenger again. I'm using their Intellisync product and it works wonders for me, if that didn't work, I'd be in tears

Hopefully their Messenger will work by next week, I used it quite a bit.
    Forget Yahoo Messenger. What we need is a good MSN app. Or Better yet, an app that will connect with all of the major IM services simultaneously. Sort fo like Jabber for Palm.
  8.    #8  
    Well there IS that 'MSN Messenger Force' thingie from Ruksun. I'm not a big fan of MS IM so I haven't pointed my colleagues/friends/family off Yahoo IM and CERTAINLY not to AIM.

re: all of the major IM services. . .

I CAN appreciate that others may wish to communicate with folks that they DON'T already know. Using several services works for that kind of 'fishing'. That's a different kind of Community than I'm generally interested in.

I use IM services to keep in touch with those that I've met elsewhere and have long term relationships with. Yahoo IM is SUPER for that. Nice features and very robust/reliable, but less interesting for hackers and spammers.

Chocolate AND Vanilla they say.

Tim
    I use Yahoo messenger for other things such as Weather, Stocks, etc... not just IM. Sad that they're no supportable version out right now.

MSN Messenger Force works great for me, as well as the AOL IM client. I use those all the time.

I think there is a Jabber client for Palm... correct me if I'm wrong - I can't seem to get to jabber.com right now...
  10.    #10  
    re: . . . other things such as Weather, Stocks, etc... not just IM.

Actually I do too; Treo AND Win XP. But, you CAN get to these through the Yahoo Mobile site through the Handspring Treo Portal. Not as convenient, but possible.

Of course several OTHER sources for weather, finance, etc through Treo besides Yahoo versions.

re: MSN Messenger Force works great for me, as well as the AOL IM client. . .

So, do you use IM with people you ALREADY know or open your's up to STRANGERS too? (e.g. folks that play the same game on-line) -- Just curious.

Tim
    I use IM to talk to firends and family I already now. My free time is too limited to chat with people I dont know...thats what message boards such as this one are for.
    Originally posted by yardie
    I use IM to talk to firends and family I already now. My free time is too limited to chat with people I dont know...thats what message boards such as this one are for.
    Ditto... I don't have time for IM'ing with strangers... just with friends/fam.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jabberpalm jabber for palm let me know how it is or if it works i cant test it out. The project looks abanded.
    I have version 2.5.0, which works fine as of this morning. Here's the link to download the Palm OS version. Maybe they just didn't list the mobile versions on the notice page, because there are active links to WinCE and mobile phone (WAP) versions too...

http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger...palm_msgr.html
  15.    #15  
    Boy, I wanna be in your alternate Universe.

That's the page where I've downloaded the Palm version in the past. Just to be certain they'd not slipped one by me, I just downloaded it AGAIN and, after installation, got the same error messages asking me to upgrade.

I suspect the reason there is no Palm version on the NOTICE page is that they don't have a new one out yet.

Some potentially good news is that I see they have a new Windows Beta out on their main Messenger page. Maybe they're working on new versions.

Fingers crossed.

Tim
    I don't think this affects all Yahoo ID's - because when Tim initially brought this topic up, it was still working for me, up until recently it stopped working.

Tim, maybe you should try to create a new Yahoo ID for testing purposes and see if it works with the Yahoo messenger that is online right now... just a thought.
  17.    #17  
    re: I don't think this affects all Yahoo ID's . . .

I suspect you're right, for some screwy reason.

I have a second Yahoo! ID that I keep for backup and I just tried it with the most recent Messenger DL. No Joy! Same error messages.

Will be interesting to see if our friend 'ddenson' continues to have success or if "THEY" will kill his access off too. <sigh>

The saga continues . . .

Tim

"The difference between the right word, and almost the right word, is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug"
    --Mark Twain
    Yah, still having problems over here logging on...

No new version in site right now...
  19.    #19  
    Just looked at 'Messenger Home' page. Yahoo! have removed the Palm version 'Quick Download' link.

Not sure what this means, but it appears that Yahoo! IS aware someone's watching the issue.

Tim
    Well, I don't believe they're going to discontinue Palm use because their entire PIM online (calendar.yahoo, address.yahoo, etc..) all mirrors that of Palm - heck, I even sync my palm with Yahoo!

They're probably developing it right now ... I hope...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast