Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    This may not be news to YOU, but I'd either missed it before or they added some additional info to the 'Mobile Phone' section of Yahoo! Messenger web pages.

If you go to the 'Yahoo! Messenger Main' page and choose the 'Mobile Phone' link you'll find yourself on a page where you'd normally just find info on special sw for mobile phones. BUT, this page now has info on 'Other web-enabled phones' too.

As mentioned on the page just use Blazer and enter:

mm.yahoo.com

You can then enter your Yahoo! login/PW and you can use normal Messenger functions.

I'll bet THIS is what we'll have INSTEAD of a Palm OS version now. Of course when GPRS arrives for Treo it would be nice to have separate app instead of having to have browser fired up all the time.

Did I just MISS this earlier? Hmmmm, MIGHT be Senior Moment again.

Tim
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    Great link! I just tried it and now yahoo messenger works again... I wish that they'd still use the "local" version of it rather then the web version though...
    Hmm, nice to have the mm.yahoo.com option, ugly as it is.

Has anyone else tried to send Yahoo a message? I tried to do so from their help page, but I got an error when I submitted it...

Handspring makes note of the Yahoo IM issue on their support page and basically says "Sorry, we can't control development of 3rd party apps..." I strongly suggest that everyone send a message to Handspring telling them to lean on Yahoo since a) they have a hell of a lot more influence than us, b) it's in Handspring's best interest since IM will be a killer app once GPRS is turned on, and c) Yahoo's feedback page doesn't work...

Here's the support URL:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sTSCaseNew.jsp

-johnny0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    I don't know if sending a message to handspring about Yahoo's IM problems is really going to make a difference. Anyway, I'm sure in a couple of weeks to a month we'll have either a new version or a cleaner web interface.

(I really hope for a client version then web)!!!
    Originally posted by MitzEclipse
    I don't know if sending a message to handspring about Yahoo's IM problems is really going to make a difference. Anyway, I'm sure in a couple of weeks to a month we'll have either a new version or a cleaner web interface.

(I really hope for a client version then web)!!!
    Sending a message to Handspring will make a difference. Yahoo's not going to fix this one without prompting. Here's why.

The fact that Yahoo has removed any direct links to the Messanger for Palm download page, vs. a "we're working on it, come back in a while" message is not good news. The product feedback page was broken well before 17 July, and there were never any Palm-specific help files available on Yahoo -- do you really think they would have done that if people were actively working on the product? The .prc hasn't been updated since it was released in 2000. 10 bucks says they only had a contractor on it and they haven't touched it since. Given they get no revenue from us, they have no incentive to fix it for us. Times are tight.

Handspring (and Palm for that matter) leaning on Yahoo is a hell of a lot more effective than us (Yahoo will respond to HS making a move to AIM or MSN, that is quite certain), but that's going to have to be done at a business development level. The only way for that to happen is for ALL of us to complain to HS.

I'd rather complain to HS and be proved wrong than not complain and be proved right. In Handspring and Yahoo's eyes, not sending a message via http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sTSCaseNew.jsp is pretty much admitting that you are willing to put up with the crappy mm.yahoo.com...

-johnny0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
  6.    #26  
    Response from HS (partial):

". . .they will work with Yahoo! to see what's going on with the messenger. By a strange coincidence, I also happened to notice the strange behaviour of the Yahoo! Messenger on Friday afternoon (myself). Since it is third-party software, unfortunately the decision to update it, and to ensure its compatibility with the latest Palm OS devices, is in Yahoo!'s hands, and not ours. It seems to be very popular with Palm OS customers. <snip> . . . it's great software."

I DO think 'johnny0' has the right idea. Sqeaky wheel and such. . .

Tim
    any updates on this?
  8.    #28  
    Well, I guess we've got our answer.

Handspring's wireless software recommendations just removed Yahoo! Messenger and put up 'AOL Instant Messenger'.

I'd say that Yahoo!'s given HS the inside ****.

Well. . . I say **** too. !

/Tim
    well that sucks. thanks for the update.
    It would help if you all provided feedback using this form that you would like it re-released:

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/mo...ne%2D05%2Ehtml
    Some folks over in the Treo 300 group have gotten the British verions of Yahoo Messenger to work:

http://uk.mobile.yahoo.com/tutorials/msgr_palm.html

I'm not having any luck however. I get my friends list, but nothing else.

Here's the thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ahoo+messenger

Let me know if you have any success.

-John
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    I speak too soon. I'm connected. This is sweet. (Too bad it took me 5 minutes...)

This may or may not have helped, but I selected 'Refresh Friends' which seemed to trigger a proper connection.

(Now if I can just stop getting those damn library errors with AIM...)

-John
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    Here's another IM alternative I found, if only we could properly convert it. (Some trouble with MIDP from Sun.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=29547
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    Just wait until VeriChat is available. It's in Beta now and does Yahoo like the real thing.
    webmessenger does Yahoo just like the real thing, too.
    verichat is in beta and it is working great very stable and fast. should be available real soon

fred
    I just downloaded the british Yahoo/palm messenger but was unable to login. Will try again on a different network.
    VeriChat released -- and does Y! really well.

http://www.pdaapps.com/verichat/default.html
    I used the old Yahoo Palm messenger app with my PalmVx and Omnisky combo. Very nice, but as is now evident, Yahoo has yanked support for that app, and I did like everyone else and tried the UK version, with mixed results. Mostly no go.
    I caught onto the Verichat gig, and am not looking back. In my opinion, the way Verichat approaches the IM scene is much better than even the old 'officially-sanctioned' Yahoo app.
    Go Verichat - there's nothing better out now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast