1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I've been struggling with my Treo's stylus issues as of late, and I'm genuinely curious what everyone else has been doing to alleviate the problem for themselves. I'm still not sure that Handspring's licked the problem themselves, and even if they have, I'm not sure if I really want to take a used unit over my relativley new one, for that sake alone.

I originally solved the problem by taking a small piece of transparent Scotch tape and wrapping it around the upper half of the stylus. Tightened it right up like new, although I hate having even hard-to-see tape on the thing. But now, even *that* has started getting loose in the barrel again, and after re-applying a little more tape, I fear that it's but a temporary solution yet again. How much can this barrel stretch?!?

Anyway, I'm trying to field other people's ideas on what might solve this and not look terribly fruity. I've been toying with the idea of finding some poster-tak (that yellow/blue gumlike stuff that all your old teachers used to hang things on the wall), and mashing a small bit down into the bottom of the barrel. My though is that it'll be just enough to hold onto the tip of the stylus and not have it go sailing out of my pocket, but I'm not sure it'll work.

So....anyone with some genius ideas get this one figured out yet? And can anyone say *for certain* if Handspring has fixed the problem yet? And if anyone's actually sent theirsin and received a fixed unit?
    Somewhere on the board is a link to the Brits who figured how to take an O ring out of a flame-adjustable disposable lighter and use it to correct stylus fall-out. My Treo 90 stylus was replaced last week and it's not slipping at the moment. But, just out of curiousity I took apart a lighter (the adjustable flame versions only) and put the O ring over the threads on the back part of the stylus. It works fine, but it catches on a seam just inside the stylus holder.

I'm not sure how long the O ring will last. Rubbing the ring with a tiny bit of oil may keep it lasting longer and going in the slot smoother.
    I would just return it to Handspring for the newer revision.

My replacement Treo 90 for one with a dead backlight arrived this week. The stylus issue appears to have been completely corrected in my new unit.
    I tried several temporary fixes of the stylus problem. The best was about 1/3 inch of electicians tape attached to the top inside of the holder (not the stylus). Trim with clippers or cutical scissors. BTW, the Brit O ring fix contemplates unscrewing the top piece of the stylus and slipping the O ring onto the threads and then re-attaching the 2 pieces. This causes the ring to extend only a small bit beyond the diameter of the stylus.

I still think that sending the unit back for a replacement is the best idea. Whether or not Handspring's stylus fix is permanent, the replacement units might also address the backlight problem which seems to afflict the early units as well.