1. kin
    Looking for a clip for the Treo. The one offered in the Handspring site looks good but I wonder how far the clip juts out. This is not clear in the pic posted at the site.

Has anyone purchased this 180-degree, five hold positions plastic belt clip from the Handspring site?

http://www.handspring.com/products/P...001&cat=220005
    I bought the plastic Treo Belt Clip from HS when I ordered my T270. Two negatives:

The swivel is connected too high on the case, so the top of the belt clip digs into my side if I'm seated.

The more serious problem is that the T270 will fall out of this case. I was watering my lawn last week and had the T270 in the case on my belt. Set up the sprinkler and came back to the lawn after about 10 minutes. Lo and behold, I saw my T270 in the grass getting watered.

The good news is that it fell onto the lawn so wasn't damaged from the impact. More surprisingly, after wiping off the water, it was fully operational.

The bad news - this could have happened anywhere and I would have either lost or broken my T270.

Needless to say that's the last time I used the case. I now use either a black leather RIM case (which is a tight fit but looks nice) or the new Treo Action Pack case which is functional and is padded but lacks a swivel and looks tacky.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I use a RIM 950 case also. I modified it by removing the top 3/8" off the top of the front so it comes right up to below the "hinge brow" on my 270. I did this carefully and retained the leather of the front of the case and folded it inside the case and glued it in place.

It still looks excellent, very slim and professional.

I also have the Handspring holster and use it on occassion and have never had it come out - I'm surprised it could fall out.

I also have a $9.99 "mini cell case" that holds my Treo sideways and is the most comfortable for days with lots of movement (in and out of cars, etc) as it rides up high and minimizes the form factor. Only problem is it has a belt loop instead of a clip so I have to remove my belt to get it off.

I feel like a woman with too many pocketbooks - one for any occasion!

-bostonGuy
    I use this belt clip. In general I like it. I feel that PDA's have 2 major problems, you lose them or your drop them. The belt clip helps with both of those aspects. Most belt clips can still pop off your belt, this one is designed well and does not. I can say I like it very much enough to use it. The treo takes a little more abuse from not being completely covered, the clip handle sticks up a little too far where it can be uncomfortable when sitting down. I wish the PDA faced in rather than out. But overall this is a high quality belt clip and designed by IDEO. I recommend it. I have also used the cordura one, and still do sometimes on weekends for better protection, but it mutes the ringer too much, you can't see the signal LED and it dampens the vibrating ringer also. I use both but the belt clip as primary.

Another observation about having the belt clip oriented in such a way that the screen faces away from you is it is a bit more difficult to see the LED signal indicator color since it is toward the back of the unit.
    Last edited by george_vc; 07/19/2002 at 11:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Used it when I had the 270. Absolutely loved it. Never fell out. Always at my side. Very nice.
    Originally posted by vcvet
    I bought the plastic Treo Belt Clip from HS when I ordered my T270. Two negatives:

The swivel is connected too high on the case, so the top of the belt clip digs into my side if I'm seated.

The more serious problem is that the T270 will fall out of this case. I was watering my lawn last week and had the T270 in the case on my belt. Set up the sprinkler and came back to the lawn after about 10 minutes. Lo and behold, I saw my T270 in the grass getting watered.

The good news is that it fell onto the lawn so wasn't damaged from the impact. More surprisingly, after wiping off the water, it was fully operational.

The bad news - this could have happened anywhere and I would have either lost or broken my T270.

Needless to say that's the last time I used the case. I now use either a black leather RIM case (which is a tight fit but looks nice) or the new Treo Action Pack case which is functional and is padded but lacks a swivel and looks tacky.
    I agree about the top of the belt clip being a bit high, but I can't imagine what kind of impact would cause the treo to actually pop out! Are you sure you're not referring to a different belt clip ? Mine is quite snug.
    Originally posted by kin
    Looking for a clip for the Treo. The one offered in the Handspring site looks good but I wonder how far the clip juts out. This is not clear in the pic posted at the site.

Has anyone purchased this 180-degree, five hold positions plastic belt clip from the Handspring site?
    I've had it for about a month now. The clip sticks out just far enough to wrap around almost any belt. When its on my belt, it the Treo is right up against my body. I also clip it to the top of my pocket when wearing shorts and no belt.

I would not recommend the belt clip for active sports as the Treo is not well protected when in it, but that's what the action pack is for.

The belt clip is a very stylish clip and give you easy access to your Treo. Now I just wish I could find a holtster that is wide enough to hold the Treo and clips to the A/C vent in my car...
    I like it. It is very secure on all of my belts and when clipped to my pockets. When in the holster, my Treo is very secure. I'm not sure how it could pop out unless pushed from the bottom.

It doesn't give much protection to the Treo while in the holster, but does allow you to see the screen.

The only time I don't use it, is when I carry the Treo in my pants pocket.

It makes a great display when clipped to your belt. I've had many people ask me about it so far.
  9. DBM
    The case is nice for what it is, Belt clip is a nice height if it was lower then you would have problems with the weight shifting more towards the top and the Treo wanting to be upside down which is much worse imo. It doesnt dig into my side at all, If i go to a resteraunt or something to sit down i unclip it and throw it on the table while we are eating so i've never really noticed the clip digging into my side such as others have metnioned the top of the clip is rounded as well no sharp edges...not sure what those complaints are about unless the person perhaps is using a differet clip/case. I usually leave it on ym side while in the car and have noticed no such problems while driving. All in all it seems a very nice belt clip, I like the way the Treo can be twisted to mount sideways as well as vertical while in the case and it is very secure i cant see how it fell out of this case unless it was not inserted fully or it was pushed out by something.

All in all no complaints here it doesnt offer much protection to the Treo but you really cant expect any protection from an open faced/quick release type case anyway.
  10. kin
    Thanks all for the comments! I will get one.
    I like mine also, although it does dig into my side when seated, and I have to remove it in order to buckle my seat belt. A car/dash/airvent mount would be awesome. Any Ideas????
    Originally posted by Kevin0306
    I like mine also, although it does dig into my side when seated, and I have to remove it in order to buckle my seat belt. A car/dash/airvent mount would be awesome. Any Ideas????
    Check out this link http://www.theclip.com/mall/mounts.asp, it is for a company called The Clip, which makes all type of high quality mounts and belt clips. Scroll down the page to The Mount (only $3.99) it is described by them as an inexpensive "no holes" mount for the car/truck. I ordered one which I'm currently using as my Treo mount in my truck and it works great.

I have no association with "TheClip" company other than being a happy customer
  13. kin
    The belt holster clip didn't turn out to be so useful afterall. And as someone earlier said, the clip itself sticks into the body a little so it takes some getting used to. And the size of the Treo on the belt is a little large.

Finally, I think I will just keep the Treo in the front trouser pocket when wearing work pants and back pocket when in jeans. Most comfortable this way - more so than my old m515.

Pity, the construction of the clip itself is very good.
    Why can't you twist the belt clip so that it fits more comfortablly?

Originally posted by kin
    The belt holster clip didn't turn out to be so useful afterall. And as someone earlier said, the clip itself sticks into the body a little so it takes some getting used to. And the size of the Treo on the belt is a little large.

Finally, I think I will just keep the Treo in the front trouser pocket when wearing work pants and back pocket when in jeans. Most comfortable this way - more so than my old m515.

Pity, the construction of the clip itself is very good.
  15. kin
    The allignment of the actual clip is fixed (in relation to the belt) but the plastic holder of the Treo can be twisted around.

You can't really twist the clip to a more comfortable position. You can only shift the entire assembly to the side of the body or to the front. I suppose for some people you can find a confortable position.

One other thing is that for all holder positions that have the Treo NOT facing upright, sliding the Treo in and out of the holder tends to move the entire assembly as the clip doesn't hold very tightly onto my belt.
    I threw away my HS holster and now I swear by The Ultra Clip from theclip.com. It's simpler, smaller, lighter, easier, cheaper and it works better and looks better.

The Treo never falls off. It's totally secure. You don't actually see the clip itself. It's very easy and natural to put it on and take it off. It doesn't get in your way or pop off your belt when you sit down. It doesn't catch on your clothing or over-the-shoulder straps from briefcases or shoulder bags. And you don't get that weird black-clip-with-silver-PDA look.

If there's any downside, it's that the button is permanently attached to the Treo (you can remove it if necessary, but it's difficult), so when you put it down it doesn't lay flat on a tabletop.

If you can't tell by now, I'm a fan. Try it.