1.    #1  
    In a few weeks (if all goes according to plan) I will be a proud new owner of a Treo 90. Until then I have been reading through the posts here and noticed several little programs here and there that do this and that to improve one's overall experience using a Treo. All of this in seperate posts is very mind boggling and time consuming so I was wondering if all you Treo owners could list all the Treo specific programs and hacks you use that make using the Treo all that better, a "Treo Survival Kit" if you will. I am sure that a thread featuring all the must-have Treo software is going to be useful for many people down the road including myself so post away.
    Alex.
    Originally posted by tantousha
    I was wondering if all you Treo owners could list all the Treo specific programs and hacks you use that make using the Treo all that better, a "Treo Survival Kit" if you will. I am sure that a thread featuring all the must-have Treo software is going to be useful for many people down the road including myself so post away.
    Alex.
    I've only had the Treo 90 for a week, but here goes:

1. RecoEcho (from CIC, maker of JOT) - $9.99. It allows you to use graffiti on the full screen of the TREO - there are just times when that is a whole lot faster than the keyboard (or in the dark!). I know that NewPen097 is free, but it just didn't work as good for me as RecoEcho.

2. treokbdutils - a great little utility that lets you reconfigure some of the /command + letter keys to create cursor movement through text, or jump from input field to input field.

3. Xmaster (the hack controller you'll need to install treokbutils).

4. BackupVFS Free and Filez - good control over your expansion memory, and one-touch backup of your system. I'd go to BlueNomad (maker fo the included Wordsmith) and pay for the full BackupBuddy suite which gives you the options for unattended backups, backing up your SD card, etc.

I could go on and on, being a Palm software junky, but these are the "essentials" for utility software. You'll find good PIM replacements (I prefer DateBk5, others prefer action names); productivity software (QuickOffice, Docs to Go), and a whole slew of games (Bejeweled is a must have).

Have fun and enjoy. The Treo 90 is the best (recognizing every PDA involves some compromises) on both sides of the Palm/PPC fight. Small, light, bright screen, FITS YOUR SHIRT POCKET for real.
    ClockPop Hack - a clock whenever you hold down the datebook button (freeware)

TwoKeyOn Hack - Locks down all keys and buttons so the Treo doesn't turn on in your pocket (freeware)

Button Manager - Launch 8 chosen apps with the 4 hardware buttons. Gives you the Home screen with one button press, something Handspring missed. (shareware and worth it.)
    Can anybody send me a link or location to find the program "treokbdutils" mentioned above.
    Thanks
    Peddler
    Originally posted by Peddler
    Can anybody send me a link or location to find the program "treokbdutils" mentioned above.
    Thanks
    Peddler
    Look for the file at freewarepalm.com under Utilities/Hackmaster.
    Sorry for not including locations.
    I've been looking for a way to jump from input field to input field, so I downloaded Treo Keyboard Utilities (a.k.a. treokbdutil) from freewarepalm.com as soon as I saw it on this thread.

It crashed my Treo before I even turned it on (when I touched "configure" on XMaster).

Figuring it must be a hack conflict, I turned off my other hacks and it crashed again.

Now it's gone. Good riddance.

Anyone know any other ways to jump from field to field, which would allow me to use my stylus less often when entering information?
    Been having no problems with TreoKbUtils on my 90. Mine is working great with X-Master. I have noticed that the Treo seems to be particular about the order you install hacks in. Maybe try to install TreoKbUtils first, get it working, and then install the other hacks?
    Mine's a Treo 270 -- maybe that's the difference. Has anyone else used Treo Keyboard Utilities safely on a 270?
    I've got a 270 and Treo Keyboard Utilities (version 1.2) works fine. I think there were some issues with an earlier version.

Michael
    TreoKBUtils 1.2 is available here on PalmGear.
    Jeff
    Strange...it's still crashing my T270. I downloaded it from PalmGear this time (same version as FreewarePalm.com: v1.3). But it keeps crashing when I try to configure it. I tried disabling my other hacks, turning off wireless service, even turning off ShiftLaunch in Treo Button. Doesn't help.

So now I've got the hack turned on, but I can't configure it.
    Just a thought, but you might try reinstalling all your hacks, installing TreoKbUtils first. Though I'm having no issues with hacks on my Edge, two of the same hacks conflicted on the Treo 90. I reinstalled them in reverse order and all work fine.
  13.    #13  
    Can the Treo Keyboard Utilities work with the original Hackmaster? or is that program past its time (That's what I use on my current Neo...anyone want to buy a Neo? )
    According to the readme, it works fine with Hackmaster.
    The developer of Treo Keyboard Utilities just e-mailed me to say he's updated the program to solve this problem. The latest version is now v1.31, which works fine for me. Here's a URL where it's available:

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/h-yama/index-e.htm
    (Reposting this here, since it was originally under the "Shortcuts" thread, which is not exactly relevant).

Now, the big missing link for me is accessing the upper-right dropdown menu from the keyboard -- it's the one in Memopad that I miss the most. The others really aren't much of a problem, but since I see the 90 as such a natural device for writing, I'm spending lots of time in Memo Pad, which is great except for the fact that I can't seem to drop down the list of memo categories via the keyboard.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.
    Just found *almost* the whole answer by accident... repeatedly pressing the Memopad button *while* you're in Memopad cycles you through the memo categories, which is great.

Now, I'd like to know how to access that upper-right menu for the purpose of re-assigning a given memo to another category. This may be a bit too much to ask, though, and the other usage is of course used much more frequently, so this is not a show-stopper!

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Another keyboard question for ya: In the Mail app, the manual says you can scroll to an item and open it by pressing the space bar. However, when I scroll down using the scroll-down button, all I do is scroll an entire screen at a time, so I can't navigate down the list to a specific mail message.

Anyone gotten this to work?
    Harris,

I haven't used the mail app at all on my Treo 90 yet, but I just toyed with it. It reacts the same way my Edge does: I can page through the list of messages, but I have to tap on a message to read it. TreoKbUtils doesn't help here either. I think you're stuck with tapping.