View Poll Results: Ever Had to Return A Treo 180 or 270 for A Replacement?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 56.25%
  • No

21 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious as to the number of us (percentage) that have had problems and needed to return a unit. Very un-scientific but its all we got.
    You might want to add, (if yes, how many?) to your poll
  3.    #3  
    I know, I thought of this later but was unable to edit the poll.
    Funny coincidence. The above poll nearly mirrors the number of Treos shipped versus purchased.
  5.    #5  
    I just could not believe all the problems I received (although we know its not reflective of everybody) with the 180 AND the 270. Looks like Handspring should have done much more R and D or had a longer testing period to really identify bugs.

I must admit I work at as a tester at major internet provider (who shall remain nameless) and I know when a product has to go out on a certain date it goes no matter how many defects are present. If its something that can be fixed in production it goes out the doors and they have made their deadline.

In my experience its better to make your deadline (and obligations) than to admit your product is not quite ready yet.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Well, I added my vote having had to return my first 270.
    I've owned four PDAs in my time. I've never had problems with any of them. Since upgrading (cross-grading) from a Visor Prism to a Treo 270, I haven't had any problems. I've had my T270 for over a month now, and I love it.

I'm sorry that others have had problems and hope that everyone gets satisfaction in the end.

Good Luck.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    I'm sorry that others have had problems and hope that everyone gets satisfaction in the end.
    Just outta curiosity, where do you live, approximately?
    Hmmm. The stats are getting near to 50% now - that's a bit worrying...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    It might be worthwhile to set-up a poll for the reasons Treos are sent back. Are all of them sent back because the phone didn't work or are there other problems?
    first off, this is my first post, i've been a reader for a while, but decided to register, after reading so much negative press for the treo.

ok, here goes.

I've had my Treo 180 for over 3 months now, and have experienced one problem, the radio "crashed" so-to-speak, and a quick call to handspring, had a radio-reset app in my hands that fixed it. Other than that, i've had no problems, whatsoever with my treo. Maybe i look at it differently than my old Nokia 8160 and Visor Platinum, as i treat it more carefully than i did the old two. I look at it as, hey, i paid $300 for this, and it replaced two devices (which means it has twice as many components as either one of the old devices) so i want it to last. I've never dropped it, haven't bothered with a case, but its always in my pocket, and i make sure i don't bash it into anything. I take care of it, and in return, it works for me, all the time.

I cannot understand why anyone who is a "power user" of both devices would upgrade to a first generation product, as all that is likely to come out of it, is frustration. Casual cell-phone and pda users on the other hand, will love not having to carry two gadgets around. I use my treo for all sorts of functions, from wireless web-browsing, e-mail, phone, grocery lists, contact info, datebook functions, etc. and have never had a major complaint about it. All of the functions work well enough for me that the cost was justified.

In short, i love my Treo, do not regret the purchase at all, and have not had to send it in for any sort of repair. My only complaint, would be that i would've loved to see a "front screen" added that is displayed whenever you open the treo, allowing you to see, date/time (which can be added to your speed-dial screen) and tap the screen for common functions (though the app launched buttons help negate that).

All in all, i think it's a great product, and handspring is on the right track, i can't wait for the 2nd generation model.
    Originally posted by CoasterCowboy
    I cannot understand why anyone who is a "power user" of both devices would upgrade to a first generation product, as all that is likely to come out of it, is frustration.
    First of all, some of us consider this a third generation product, not a first generation.

First generation was Visorphone. It represented the first integration of the Palm OS with a telephone. Pretty much worked as advertised, had a couple of minor glitches which could either be ignored or were patched.

Second generation was Treo 180 (about 13 months after Visorphone) along with the QCP-6035. These phones showed how the Palm OS could be integrated with a phone in a single unit with some attempts at miniaturization. The Samsung SPH-i300 might even be considered a second + generation as it incorporated color Palm OS about 8 months before the Treo 270 came out (close to the same time as the Treo).

Which brings us to the Treo 270 and 300, as well as the Kyocera 7135 (due later this year). These phones are 3rd generation. Matching Palm OS to telephony has already been done. Physically integrating a Palm OS device to a phone device has been done. Treo 270 is merely a small evolution of this concept with the addition of color (already done by Samsung), improved software (also already done by VP, and Kyo), with a slightly smaller form factor (already been done by Samsung). The lengthy list of Treo defects and returns/exchanges documented on this site is not an indication of the risks of "bleeding edge" technology, but rather the poor quality control and rush-to-market mentality of a single company.

That might help you understand some of the dismay displayed here by formerly loyal Handspring customers.

Kupe
    I don't know if it is first or third generation. I bought the Treo 270 expecting it to work properly. I guess i'm not sure what a power user is, or how it is their own fault they are frustrated. Am I a power user because i use the 270 daily to keep track of appointments and make phone calls and send email to my customers daily? I like the Treo. It is a huge convenience to have a single unit do what it does. Unfortunately mine has not worked well for the first month I've owned it.
    Kevin
  14. DBM
    Mine works great no problems at all, I even dropped it yesterday by accident, it fell about 3-4feet onto the concrete floor and it still works perfectly.

However if I do incur the screen outage that so many others seem to be having i will be thouroughly upset and will not neglect to complain about it

When you pay 500 + Dollars for a product you expect it to be free from manufacturers defects
    Originally posted by DBM
    When you pay 500 + Dollars for a product you expect it to be free from manufacturers defects
    Only in a perfect world.

I guess I've been in the industy writing low level code for entirely too long. "Free of defects" is the ideal, but never obtainable nor obtained. You ship when all the bugs that you KNOW about have been handled. Did HS turn a Treo 90/270 on and let it run for 6 weeks? Only if that was in their test plan, and I doubt that it was. In hindsight, yeah, they should have. It would not surprise me at all to find out that neither this nor the headset problem was ever seen in pre-release testing. It took "customer testing" to find it, because customers tend to use your producsts in ways you never dreamed were possible.

Like ... cutting the hinge off ... don't laugh ... there is a thread on this board where he not only did that, but also cut off 2/3 of the antenna and crazy glued a tiny speaker to the case ... to make it look cuter.

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little
    Like ... cutting the hinge off ... don't laugh ... there is a thread on this board where he not only did that, but also cut off 2/3 of the antenna and crazy glued a tiny speaker to the case ... to make it look cuter.
    I can't remember if he had a 180 or 270, but if it was a 270 he had better hope and pray that his screen doesn't fall prey to the same problem or else he's screwed beyond belief. I highly doubt HS would honor a warranty replacement in that case.
    Link. Do you have a link? Are there photos? This I must see

Tony
    Go look at the thread "MY Treo180NL" in the Treo General Chat forum. And yes there are pictures. The sad part was how many thought it was "cute" to cut off the antenna. It seems no one ever heard of SWR ... well they thought that menat "Short Wave Radio" instead of Standing Wave Ratio .. or the point at which your transmitter melts.

Gary
  19.    #19  
    Yay, they have finally admitted what I tried to say from the beginning. Maybe now those of you who did not experience problems can understand how and why those of us who did, did. Your beloved, Godly Handspring has admitted they are not without fault.

Heres the LINK

BTW it's pretty amazing that this unscientific poll has always remained around 50/50.

Thats the power of boards like these we can come together collectively and exchange stories and learn from each other. If it wasnt for vehicles like this some companies would never admit their mistakes which as I said before (I hate to drone) makes them make a better product, which means they will have more satisfied customers, which in turn pumps up their bottom line. A win-win situation all around.

Keep hope alive, lol.
    2 problems with my treo 270:

1. bug when using headset causing the incoming call automatically hang up when pressing the answering button on the headset. took me a while to figure out the problem is caused by a bug and handspring had to email me a patch to solve the problem. apparently, according to them, this problem occurs on all the treo 270.

2. one of the button on the keyboard doesnt work properly. that caused me to exchange it. the question i now have is whether handspring has actually gave me a new one instead of a refurnished one (as i didnt see them take the replacement unit out of a new package).

i have owned many mobile phones so far (being a true hong kong citizen) and i never have to have any of my phones replaced.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast