1.    #1  
    OK, PURCHASED a unit from Handspring that I realized had a screen problem after a few days. Called Handspring and they sent me out a replacement unit. Before I could even take it out of the packaging the back SIM cover fell out, on trying to re-attach it the catch was broken. My first question was how could this have passed through their quality control but that is a whole other issue.

I called them up and told them and specifically asked to speak to a manager who I asked was I being sent refurbished units as I could not understand how I received one in that condition and after spending $500+ I do not expect to receive a refurbished unit. The manager assured me replacements were not refurbished, apologized and proceeded to send me another unit.

On receiving the second unit although the back cover did not fall off it would not securely snap into place and was basically broken although not as obvious as the first.

My question is tons of folks on this board and others have had to return units to Handspring...what exactly do they do with all of those? There is no way they can just throw them away, they HAVE to be fixing them and recycling them. By the no. returned they would be out a business if they tried to do it any other way. (Lets also not forget the problem with the 180's I believe I had about 3 of those too).

Are we as consumers so blinded by the great technology that we donít even care what we are getting for our hard earned money? Yes you get a new 1 at first but what after that.

Can anyone answer the question of what happens to these returned units? (And believe me this must be important as I have never written a post this long, lol).
    Originally posted by lplplpx3
    My question is tons of folks on this board and others have had to return units to Handspring...what exactly do they do with all of those? There is no way they can just throw them away, they HAVE to be fixing them and recycling them. By the no. returned they would be out a business if they tried to do it any other way. (Lets also not forget the problem with the 180's I believe I had about 3 of those too).
    Hmmmm...Well, I've never had to return a Treo or Visor. I know that there are a few vocal people on the Visor- and Treo-Central boards that have had difficulties. I think "tons" is probably an exaggeration. Only a small percentage of users even visit boards like these, and then most people that do are either looking for a solution (not many people post when they don't have a problem), or are power users with higher demands than average.

That doesn't mean that I'm excusing Handspring's lack of quality control when it comes to the product. I'm simply stating that the perception that these discussion boards bring is often grimmer than reality.

With all that said...Handspring does sell "reconditioned" units. Whether they try to pass them off as new or not, I don't know. I'm not even going to get into the legal and ethical matters of if they did.

See here: Reconditioned Handhelds

I hope this helps.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your input. Hmmmm, interesting...I dont see ANY Treo's. BTW check out some more message boards, you'd be quite surprised as to the amount of people that have had a problem with the Treos and in cases have needed multiple replacements.

Maybe they should do a little more testing before shipping out.
    I also returned a 270 due to a dead screen. The unit I was sent to replace it was packeaged suspicipously like a refurb.

And, sure enough, the flip lid was very losse and when open had a great deal of play in it. My calls to the regular Customer Service line were not satisfactory - they bordered on rudeness.

I contacted some upper level people at Handspring who appeared mortified by the whole chain of events. They fedexed me a brand new unit directly from their headquarters (the original replacement was sent by a party who does manufacturing AND remanufacturing for Handspring), and asked me to retuen the defective one back to them for personal inspection.

So, my experience has been bad when going through regular channels, but excellent when I got through to management. Although not commendable, this is the way these things sometimes go!

Wayne
    I have processed replacements over the years with Handspring and have been nothing but satisfied with the replacement units. I don't care if it is refurbished or new for that matter. The items are always mint condition. I could see one wanting a new unit if it is under 30 days that you have used the unit, if not (exceeding 30 days), you are exchanging your used unit for another. I think they must ensure there are no cosmetic problems as I have never seen a blemish. I actually prefer to have a unit that has been burned in. The replacement is probably better condition than the one I sent in. Just my opinion and to voice my complete satisfaction with their program over the years.
    Thanks for your input. Hmmmm, interesting...I dont see ANY Treo's. BTW check out some more message boards, you'd be quite surprised as to the amount of people that have had a problem with the Treos and in cases have needed multiple replacements.

Maybe they should do a little more testing before shipping out.
    I have visited many message boards. I'm not surprised at all. My only point was that the percentage of complaints cannot be determined by message boards. People only post when they have a problem, so it makes it appear that a whole lot of people are having issues. How many people aren't having problems at all? Evidently, it's way more than the number of people that have issues. Like I said before, this is not to excuse the problems. Handspring should keep working to improve their quality control measures.

The thing that frustrates people is that Handspring, and other companies, often won't acknowledge a "problem" as a real problem as fast as we would like them to. It's the "Oh that's just a user. He doesn't know what he's doing" mentality.

I, too, noticed that Treos are not listed on the Reconditioned Handhelds page. If I were Handspring, I wouldn't have them listed there either. After all, it's a NEW product, so there shouldn't be any reconditioned units available.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
  7.    #7  
    Hear, hear lol.
    In most cases "reconditioned units" are better than new, since they have to bring it back up to spec and actually look the unit over closer to make sure the problems are fixed.
  9.    #9  
    I think you guys are missing the point (brainwashed maybe??? a harmless joke) ... if I wanted a reconditioned/used/refurbished unit I would not walk into a store and pay full price for it.

When I walk into a store the "refurbished" units are usually actually marked refurbished so I am well aware of the fact AND these are usually marked at a discounted price.

If every company in America operated like this...when you spent your money it would be pot luck on whether your purchase worked or for how long it would work... I am sure it would not be acceptable.

Why is that also not the case for Handspring?

Its all about consumerism and as I first stated I think some of us have let the standards drop because we are so blinded by the technology.

All I ask is that when I purchase a product it work for a reasonable amount of time and in the case that it does not it be replaced with a fully, functional unit, which should be brand new depending on the length of time before malfunction.

Is this too much to ask?

Im not knocking Handspring I love their products as much as everyone else, I am just saying that they could do things a little better and doing this kinda stuff (complaining, putting messages in bulletin boards etc) ultimately helps them improve their practices and have more satisfied customers which helps them with their bottom line.
    I think you guys are missing the point (brainwashed maybe??? a harmless joke) ... if I wanted a reconditioned/used/refurbished unit I would not walk into a store and pay full price for it.

When I walk into a store the "refurbished" units are usually actually marked refurbished so I am well aware of the fact AND these are usually marked at a discounted price.

If every company in America operated like this...when you spent your money it would be pot luck on whether your purchase worked or for how long it would work... I am sure it would not be acceptable.

Why is that also not the case for Handspring?

Its all about consumerism and as I first stated I think some of us have let the standards drop because we are so blinded by the technology.

All I ask is that when I purchase a product it work for a reasonable amount of time and in the case that it does not it be replaced with a fully, functional unit, which should be brand new depending on the length of time before malfunction.

Is this too much to ask?

Im not knocking Handspring I love their products as much as everyone else, I am just saying that they could do things a little better and doing this kinda stuff (complaining, putting messages in bulletin boards etc) ultimately helps them improve their practices and have more satisfied customers which helps them with their bottom line.
    I totally agree. A reconditioned unit should not be presented as if it were new. IF the replacement unit had defects which brought to question whether the unit was new or reconditioned, Handspring needs to work harder to ensure that replacements (within the replacement window) are, indeed, NEW units.

Anything less than NEW, under those circumstances, is UNACCEPTABLE. Period.

I think this horse is dead enough.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Well my treo 270 screen went out June 30 and I still have not received my replacement unit. I have called about 7 times now and the last three times they have assured me that they would have a manager take care of the problem. Well I am still waiting and waiting and waiting. I will let everyone know when it finally comes in so we can compare how long it takes on average.
    The screen on my second unit went out on July 4. I called about it on the fifth. I received my third unit on the 9th.
    Originally posted by waybo

I contacted some upper level people at Handspring who appeared mortified by the whole chain of events. They fedexed me a brand new unit directly from their headquarters (the original replacement was sent by a party who does manufacturing AND remanufacturing for Handspring), and asked me to retuen the defective one back to them for personal inspection.

So, my experience has been bad when going through regular channels, but excellent when I got through to management. Although not commendable, this is the way these things sometimes go!
    I have to agree with you there. I bought an original Visor Deluxe, and was screwed in the whole original order database fubar. (I got my unit 4 months after I ordered it, 2 weeks afer my friend who ordered hers and got it in 5 days)

Six months later my cradle stopped working and when I called TechSupport I was told I could *buy* a new cradle at standard price. They refused to budge after I told them of my ordering woes..

A week later Donna came to our PUG and asked for input. I told her my story and she handed me a box and her bussiness card, and said this should fix the problem, but if it didn't please feel free to contact her. When I got home I discoverd the box contained *2* cradles and a stylus pack (another serious flaw in the original set of Visors was the crappy stylui)

If it were not for her, I would NOT be even considering a Treo 300 right now. Talking to Sprint there are going to be at least 4 other data capable 3G phones out at release.