1.    #1  
    OK, I know people may not be comfortable with posting their complete serial numbers, but I think it would be of benefit to Treo owners wondering if their screen is going to die, to have some measure of reassurance about their unit.

It shouldn't really cause anyone concern to post the serial numbers of the units they have sent back, so that would be a good place to start.

For owners with working (for now) replacement units and are willing to post their current serial number, go ahead....and THANK YOU. If you're not willing to post your complete #, then just replace certain digits (although keep in mind we are trying to establish the range of GOOD/BAD numbers).

From reading other posts, it appears the HS is making good on replacements, but it also appears that some people are on multiple replacements - this should help us establish some good/bad ranges...

Ok, the obvious question, what good does this knowledge do anyone... peace of mind, I guess...being able to breathe easy as day 31 arrives and day 366...

For the record, I have 2 Treo 90s on the way and will post the numbers as soon as I have them.
    -Matt
    My original unit which was returned after one week because of both stylus and backlight problem was
    #GMHED223100HY
    The replacement I received was obviously a repaired unit. I suspect it was someone else's return and will be interested if another reader of this group recognizes
    #GMHED225500##
    (Replacement has been working fine now for almost a week.)
    Last edited by deryld; 07/21/2002 at 07:09 AM.
    My original unit's screen died after about 2 weeks.
    That serial # was: GMHED2235061F

My new one I have only had for a couple of days so hopefully it will continue to last. It was already charged up so may be a refurb or possibly a new one.
    That serial # is: GMHED2233????

Which if they go in sequence suggests it may be a refurb or its screen could be the same as the others.

Jeff.
    I think its a really really bad idea to leave serial numbers on publis message boards like this. The wicked can obtain replacements and stuff like that using the serial number. I would suggest that you guys edit the serial numbers out.
    OK, I edited the number on my replacement unit although I am not sure how it could have been misused by someone else.

Does anyone know why my 1st Treo ended with two letters and the newer one ends with two numbers? I have never noticed a change in format such as this before.
    It's easy to rip it off...though I am not sure if I should post this. But basically one could say that their Treo 90 is defective and request Handspring to ship out a replacement. Handspring asks for the serial number and you give them one of the posted ones.

P.S. Moderators, if this is over the line, delete it without hesitation.
    Handspring doesn't ship without confirmed credit card number. They ship without power or sync cord or CD. Doesn't look like much of a scam to me.
    Tantousha is right. How hard would it be for a thief to buy the accessorues? I see units selling without accessories on Ebay all the time. And have you heard of credit card fraud?

Another thing to think about. What if Handspring offers some kind of trading up program in the future? How yould you feel if your serial number is used by someone else to upgrade before you can use it? Think man. Think.

Originally posted by deryld
    Handspring doesn't ship without confirmed credit card number. They ship without power or sync cord or CD. Doesn't look like much of a scam to me.
    Yes they require a confirmed credit card, but if you don't return an old Treo they only charge something like $150. This is too deter people from getting the new one and keeping the old one, but if you don't have an old one than $150 is a steal for a new Treo.
    Alex.
    Sorry, I still don't see what benefit they will get out of having MY serial number -- nor what harm I would incur if someone engaged in the fraud you fear. I doubt that Handspring would ever have an upgrade program that didn't require return of the unit. I have the unit with the serial number attached and can therefore easily prove that it is MY number.

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Another thing to think about. What if Handspring offers some kind of trading up program in the future? How yould you feel if your serial number is used by someone else to upgrade before you can use it? Think man. Think.
    Handspring tradeup programs do not require the user to send the unit back... they dont want your old unit, they just want your money. Still, this debate is sort of pointless...if you think that posting your serial number on a very public discussion board is safe, then by all means do it.

I wonder why more people didn't post their serial numbers? Hmmm