1.    #1  
    Nice boards here they are helpful and polite. I intend to buy a Treo (they look the best) and have follwed these threads for a few weeks, I have two questions.

(1) Lets assume the 270 has the GPRS patch . If my needs are (A) a phone (B) work related e-mail to be pushed to me, why do I wait for the 300 rather than go with the 270.

(2) From what I know so far, CDMA appears to be the sole difference of the 300 to the 270. In a nutshell is CDMA to a wireless user like a permenently connected internet (as in no dial in) with a fatter pipe than a GPRS. Or is there more?
    Well a lot depends on which cell provider has the best service in your are. CDMA in North America is ubiquitous..unlike GSM which has a patchwork coverage. The good thing aboiut GSM is that it offers a lot of flexibility..If your Treo breaks down for example, you can always take out the SIM chip and insert it into another GS< phone. With a CDMA Treo (or any other phone for that matter), you are left in the lurch. Also, GSM phones can be used just about anywhere in the world because much of the rest of the world use it.
    The main differences between 300 and 270:

1. 300 is slightly larger than 270

2. 300 uses CDMA meaning:
    - faster data rates (144kbps max compared to 28.8kbps max)
    - better US coverage
    - no international coverage

3. 270 uses GSM/GPRS meaning:
    - worlwide roaming
    - spotty US coverage
    - ability to easily switch to different GSM phones for different situations
    I am waiting for the Treo 300 too for very similar reasons. (A) a phone (B) Palm OS & benefits (i.e. Calendar & Phone book syching, large base of additional apps) (C)work related e-mails to be pushed to me (D) Built-in thumb base keyboard to reply to important emails. (E) Color (though I wish it were 16 bit)

The main reason I am going with the 300 over the 270 is better coverage in my area. I am looking forward to the greater connection speed, but I am a little concerned about the cost / benefit factor. We will have to wait to see what Sprints pricing will be.

I feel Marty did a good job of summarizing the differences.
    Roger
    I am looking forward to the greater connection speed, but I am a little concerned about the cost / benefit factor. We will have to wait to see what Sprints pricing will be.

That's the crux of the dilemma right there. I considered defecting from Sprint PCS, but Cingular's rates in Southern California are unreasonable for data calls, IMO. Sprint has a good history of competitive pricing. Granted, that's only one reason, but it's the decisive one. of course, we'll have to see what the pricing for 3G will look like, so everything's still up in the air at this point.
    Like RLewis, I am waiting for the 300 because I think it will have better coverage in my area (SE Michigan). My wife's Sprint phone often works where my VisorPhone does not. The added speed of 3G CDMA is just icing.
    I'm new to this board, so forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere...I'd love to find a device that combines the PDA with the phone and email, as long as the email system works like my Blackberry. Is that what the Treo 300 is designed to do?
    Originally posted by chrisjoseph
    I'm new to this board, so forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere...I'd love to find a device that combines the PDA with the phone and email, as long as the email system works like my Blackberry. Is that what the Treo 300 is designed to do?
    The Treo 300 will be "always-on" like the Blackberry. Coverage on Sprint's 1xRTT network (the network that provides the always-on access) will likely not be as good as the Blackberry's though. Note also that when Handspring releases their GPRS patch for the Treo 180/270, those two models will have always-on access like the Blackberries. That patch is due later this year. Also, Blackberry has recently announced a model that combines phone + email and does not require the use of a headset. You can hold it up to your face like a regular mobile phone.
    If you go with the T300 you will only be able to use it in the states as CDMA is a state side service. If you plan on staying in the states for the rest of your life this will work very good as I don't see the rest of the world going to CDMA. In the states it will work really well. You probably won't have any problems with making a phone call anywhere in the states. But if your going to pay this type of money you might as well get a phone you can use all over the world. Thats were GSM comes in. Problem with that is GSM isn't popular in the states right now. Thats why cell phone coverage is patchy. Maybe by this time next year there will be enough carriers that will offer GSM in the states. Example Sprint, AT&T, MCI, ect... If you have the money go CDMA now and just change to GSM later. Also a little after the T300 comes out the T270 and T180 will be upgraded to a faster internet connection using GPRS which can only be used with GSM. This will still be a little bit slower than the T300. Just a fraction slower from what I've read. If you think you'll ever travel outside the states get the T270 and hope the phone carriers offer GSM soon to improve cell phone coverage. Sorry for those in the states using GSM.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Originally posted by ronaldwright
    This will still be a little bit slower than the T300. Just a fraction slower from what I've read. If you think you'll ever travel outside the states get the T270 and hope the phone carriers offer GSM soon to improve cell phone coverage. Sorry for those in the states using GSM.
    Don't feel sorry for the US. 28.8kbps max on the 180/270 vs. 144kbps max on the 300 makes up for the lack of international roaming in my book. When I travel internationally, I just pick up a GSM phone at the airport, not too bad at all...