Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know programming, but I know what I want:

An application that scans incoming SMS messages, and when a message with a particular code (for example, "Lock Unit [password]") is received, wireless mode is shut off, and all any 'button' (including rocker, flip and cradle/cable hotsync button) will do is display the owner information in the Preferences app. The application should be able to survive any form of reset other than a hard reset.

This way, if your unit is lost or stolen, you can remotely lock it so that it cannot be used. (Unless the recipient does a hard reset.) It won't necessarily get your treo back, but at least your information can be protected. (And it might even help get your treo back if it is found by an honest person.)

I don't think there is anything out there even remotely like this, but I would be pleased to find out I am wrong. I would be even more pleased to find out that some programmer wants to make this idea work. All I ask for in return is a free copy of the program when it is out of beta.
    I'm sorry i don't know such an app but i think it's really a brillant idea !
    Hacking FreeMax
    <I><a href="http://groups.msn.com/TreoFrance">TreoFrance</a> , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo</i>
    that would be nice
    Slower than my NR70 was but i love my Treo 270......
    A most brilliant idea ... until the friend you just pissed off learns what your code is.

Gary
    Or, if you choose, it could just do the hard reset for you (is this technologically possible?) or it could just turn the system volume up and play an unending alarm. This would be good if someone just walked away as well as if you can't find your Treo because it's wedged between couch cushions or in the laundry basket.
    Jeff
    Sweet! I think another cool feature would be when you send a specific command via SMS it can automatically email a call log, so you have a record of who the perpetrator has called, etc.
    Originally posted by dleclair
    Sweet! I think another cool feature would be when you send a specific command via SMS it can automatically email a call log, so you have a record of who the perpetrator has called, etc.
    Would you need this feature if you can go to your carrier's website and see a log of calls made?
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    Would you need this feature if you can go to your carrier's website and see a log of calls made?
    True, true. Not everyone has that feature though and what if someone changes the SIM card? Then they wouldn't be using your minutes, but you wouldn't know where they were.
    Yeah but then you can't SMS the Treo. If they change the sim card, you can never find out where the Treo is.

....UNLESS....

This dream app senses a changed SIM and locks the Treo.
    Or when a SIM card is changed, it SMSes you with the phone number of the phone so you can call the new "owner" and ask where Mr. Treo is at.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Or when a SIM card is changed, it SMSes you with the phone number of the phone so you can call the new "owner" and ask where Mr. Treo is at.
    Better yet... when the SIM Card is changed without your permission it silently dials up all kinds of 1-900 and international numbers!
    With Nokia Phones etc., they tend to have a unique ID, that when your phone is stolen, you can report it to the network, and they can bar that serial number, so the phone becomes unusable.

Does the treo have this unique id?
    Originally posted by eamler
    With Nokia Phones etc., they tend to have a unique ID, that when your phone is stolen, you can report it to the network, and they can bar that serial number, so the phone becomes unusable.

Does the treo have this unique id?
    Yes the number is called an IMEI number, or International Mobile Equipment Identification number.

IMEI numbers of cellular phones connected to a GSM network are stored in a database (EIR - Equipment Identity Register) containing all valid mobile phone equipment.

When a phone is reported stolen or is not type approved, the number is marked invalid.

The number consists of four groups that looks this:

nnnnnn--nn-nnnnnn-n

The first set of numbers is the type approval code (TAC). The first two digits represent the country code. The rest make up the final assembly code. The second group of numbers identifies the manufacturer:

01 and 02 = AEG

07 and 40 = Motorola

10 and 20 = Nokia

41and 44 = Siemens

51= Sony, Siemens, Ericsson

The third set is the serial number and the last single digit is an additional number (usually 0).
    And for anyone who wants to know theirs, go into the phone app and go to "Phone Info". According to dleclair Handspring's manufacturer number is 00.
  15.    #15  
    It's easy to shut off cellular service if you've lost your treo. What I had in mind is an app that would allow you to shut off access to the data as well.

There are some good security applications that do this already, but they require you to use a password or button sequence every time you power on the unit. This makes it hard to use your pda quickly (like in the car, where you shouldn't be using it) and may interfere with answering the phone.

What I want is a security app I can turn on remotely, when I really need it.

And since I am a consumer, I'm entitled to what I want, when I want it, dammit.
    What is the best security app? Palmgear seems to like OnlyMe ($10) or PDA Defense Professional ($30), for general security applications. Anyone using a general security (as opposed to protecting the odd file) application on a Treo 180 or 270? One thing I was concerned about is how the security interacts with the phone. I don't want to enter a password just to answer the phone, but I don't want someone to steal it with the phone activated and have complete access to the device.

Perhaps the only solution is to protect individual files rather than the entire device. What do you do? What program do you like?
    Right. And such an application would be almost trivial to develop. Simply scan incoming SMSs, and if one matches the target, lock. That's it. No problem. If only I could program, I'd make it.
    but if something like that is coming out how much would you pay for an app like this?
    Slower than my NR70 was but i love my Treo 270......
    Originally posted by Preston
    I don't want to enter a password just to answer the phone, but I don't want someone to steal it with the phone activated and have complete access to the device.
    if my Treo is locked I can still answer incoming calls. Only if I want to place a call I have to unlock the thing. And that's cool :)

The lock on my SIM card can't be unlocked (I tried) so each morning when 'Treo Tools' turns my phone back on I have to enter a PIN in order to be booked into the network. Until I do that no call will reach me. So I got MacroPlay to enter the PIN for me. Of course that means that when it gets stolen by the next day at least the thief can call using my phone. To prevent this, I have a subsequent macro that locks the whole thing through the security app. Now incoming calls will reach me, I'm able to even answer the phone without entering the password and the device is still secured against missuse (until the next hard reset, at least :)

anderas
    We're talking about an add-on program or hack that locks your Treo when it receives an SMS message. Right? Which is easily defeated by simply hard resetting the unit. I fail to see the security here.

It seems that notifying the carrier of the loss and de-activating the account is the safest bet, until Palm builds such security into the OS. At least the app has to be undefeatable by resetting the unit short of physically replacing or flashing the applications ROM.

Gary
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast