Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had my Treo 90 for 2 weeks. The last 3 days, the stylus has gotten loose and falls out of slot. After reading this board that I was not alone, I emailed HandSpring customer support. They responded in less than 24 hours with a case number and asked me to call customer support.

When I talked to customer support I was told that the new models had the problem fixed and it is a problem in the holder. They are overnighting a new unit to me and then I will send the old one back. I have to send it back in 15 days. They need a credit card to guarrantee you will return the old one. I was told the most the credit card would be charged would be $170 and that the charge would not occur unless they did not receive the return in 15 days.

I specifically asked again if the units were the same, but I was told that they had recognized the problem and had re-engineered the slots and the new units had corrected the problem.

If this is true, I will be very impressed. The customer service was excellent and I could not have expected better.

I hope you all have a similar good experience.

Thanks,
    Rookie
    rookie
    They told me they were overnighting mine too. That was July 3 and all Customer Service will tell me now is that it will be sent "any day now."

Your post however gives me comfort. If they are really fixing the problem, it is worth the wait. Particularly if they are also fixing the vanishing backlight problem as well.

Meanwhile, if you want to hang on to your stylus:
    Stick a small piece of electricians tape to the top inside of the stylus HOLDER. Trim any that sticks up with clippers. Not perfect, but does the job.
  3.    #3  
    Received my replacement Treo 90 yesterday. The stylus slot is much tighter than my old one was even on the day I bought it.

Hopefully, this will end the loose stylus problem.

So, far, very impressed with the service.

Rookie
    rookie
    Same problem. I was told that since my Treo was a week old that I should take it back to Staples where I bought it.

Stamples replaced with without too many questions and the new one seems to be a corrected unit.
    How do you know whether you have an "old" one or a "new" one. Mine is about two weeks old, and have not noticed the stylus being loose yet . . .
    thanks
    Berky,

If your stylus stays in after a week, you probably have a redesigned version. My stylus was falling out the second or third day on my first unit. My new Treo 90 is two weeks old now. I can hold the unit upside down and shake it gently without the stylus falling out.
    Try one turn of scotch tape around stylus.
    Larry
    I tried this and it worked for about a day, but the tape eventually scrapped off and almost crumpled up inside the sylus holder. I imagine this would be bad because the stylus would never go all the way in once this happened.
    Last edited by TreoNine; 08/30/2002 at 03:45 PM.
    I simply open the casing and attach a spongy to the bottom of the stylus slot.

It works!
    What's a spongy?
    its been almost 2 weeks and still havent gotten my replacement. customer support just says it hasnt made it out of the warehouse yet.
    ~mark
    I found a fix.. I upgraded to a Sony Clie SJ30. Stylus no longer needs tape to stay put. (Tongue in cheek) Seriously though, the Treo 90 was a great pda, but I really wanted the hi-res screen.

Sorry to have jumped ship...
    LOL, great post!

I looked at the Sony originally, what sold me on the Treo was the thumb board. If I was a Grafitti guy I would have gone Sony. It wasn't worth it to me to pay $200 extra for the Sony with the thumb board though...but every time I see my co-worker whip out the Sony to show me something, that hi-res looks mighty appealing...

Ah well.

M (with tape on stylus)
    Originally posted by tallmarvin
    LOL, great post!

I looked at the Sony originally, what sold me on the Treo was the thumb board. If I was a Grafitti guy I would have gone Sony. It wasn't worth it to me to pay $200 extra for the Sony with the thumb board though...but every time I see my co-worker whip out the Sony to show me something, that hi-res looks mighty appealing...

Ah well.

M (with tape on stylus)
    I agree its a tough decision between a thumbboard or high res, I chose the thumbboard because I use that far more than showing great pics
    I too, have a Treo 90 and after about 4 days, the stylus wouldn't stay in. I contacted Handspring via e-mail, they e-mailed me back to call them to set up a shipment (again, the credit card thing).

I received a new Treo 90 and it did seem tighter. So, I boxed up the old one to return it and returned it.

Now, I again have tape over the retaining hole to keep it from slipping out. Another e-mail in to Handspring (I'm sure I'll be getting another e-mail back to call them.)

Is this problem that widespread? Major defect with the Treo itself or with the stylus(es)?

BTW, email4hk2002 -- where did you get torx screwdrivers small enough to fit those screws?

- z -
    Update: received a new Treo 90 Thursday.

The stylus-to-retaining "tunnel" tightness ratio has been increased by at least 50 percent! Its almost too tight as it takes some effort to remove (and replace) the stylus.
  17. dji
    The stylus for my Treo stays in the silo, but is not as snug as the stylus for my old Prism. Does this imply that I have one of the styli doomed to fall out over time? I hate to return my Treo prematurely and unnecessarily, having to redownload software, as well as risk getting sent a refurbished used unit.
    I don't this the stylus will be as tight as the Prism. The new styli have a "squishy" feel when they grip in the Treo. Mine was just replaced last week. About a fourth of an inch from all the way in, I feel it gently grip. I really have the shake the unit upside down to get it to fall out.
  19. dji
    So, Kevin, this should be considered a normal fit for the Treo 90 stylus and I shouldn't feel compelled to return it?
    Speaking from experience, if you have the first generation of Treo 90s, it is possible that you have the loose stylus problem. It took my Treo about two weeks before it would completely fall out just by turning the device upside down.

Give it at least a week, then decide if you can live with it or if you're prepared to send the *whole* thing back to Handspring just for a stylus holder adjustment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast