Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First off, I have come to depend on my Treo 90 alot. I think this is one of the best Palm devices to date. Mine went "dead" Sunday afternoon(July14), after 2 weeks. I went outside in the sun and could just barely see the screen. This was not good. I checked this web site when I got home and was actually glad that this is a common problem. Not that the problem is good, but that it wasn't something I had done. I wasn't too thrilled to see how many others had had multiple units fail though. I called Handspring first thing Monday morning and was told the usual 3 business day thing. Imagine my surprise when Airborne rang my door this morning (TUESDAY). About 24 hours later. Someone must have lit some fires over there. Any way my replacement is charging now and doesn't appear to be a refurb. Oh and I asked the the guy on the phone if they had fixed all the problems( Stylus and backlight). His answer was everything had beed fixed. Right. Well, we'll see. Think I'll use the journal feature of Datebook+ to keep track of how long this one lasts.
    Over two weeks now since I got my Treo 90, the only problem so far is the loose stylus. I keep the screen brightness at around 75%, maybe the lcd backlight failure occurs at the maximum setting?

(knocking on wood)
    ~chris
    Originally posted by TreoNine
    Over two weeks now since I got my Treo 90, the only problem so far is the loose stylus. I keep the screen brightness at around 75%, maybe the lcd backlight failure occurs at the maximum setting?

(knocking on wood)
    ~chris
    How did you adjust the backlight setting? All I could find is the contrast control.
    Originally posted by dstrauss

How did you adjust the backlight setting? All I could find is the contrast control.
    If you turn on your Treo90 and hit the Blue option button then the "q" key you will get a screen that lets you set both the contrast and the brightest. There are two sliders.
    Thanks for the info. Don't know how I missed that. Is there a significant increase in battery life?
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    Thanks for the info. Don't know how I missed that. Is there a significant increase in battery life?
    Supposedly, but not that I've noticed. I keep mine at about 80% and haven't noticed any significant battery-drain differences. Maybe if I ran a drain test I could give you hard figures, but I don't think it's anything major.

Oh, and keeping on-topic, I've had my Treo for 16 days with no failures thus far. Keeping my fingers crossed...
    As you can read above, a few weeks after I got my Treo90 my backlight died. After some complaining I got them to express ship me a new one which I have been using for a couple of weeks now. The backlight on this model is still working but this unit is now suffering from the loose stylus problem.

I contacted Handspring again and they said in a couple of weeks when they straighten out the inventory of bad screen units they will express ship me another replacement. They want to make sure this time they send me a unit that doesn't have any defects in it. They seem to be taking customer care pretty seriously now.

Jeff.
    Originally posted by digitalparasite
    I contacted Handspring again and they said in a couple of weeks when they straighten out the inventory of bad screen units they will express ship me another replacement. They want to make sure this time they send me a unit that doesn't have any defects in it. They seem to be taking customer care pretty seriously now.
    Yeah, they certainly have been improving their customer service as of late. And with the recent announcement that they'll be advance-shipping units for people with backlight problems, I think their efforts should be applauded. It sucks that there was a problem to begin with, but they are dealing with it rather nicely...
    I have owned a TREO 90 since mid June. I had the same problem with my backlight going out as many others. I called Handspring on a Thursday and by Monday I had a brand new one in my hand....it was sent Airborne Express to me. They were great about replacing it. I did a hard reset before returning it, that way no one had access to my personal information. I was also having the common problem with my stylus. I guess I hadn't paid alot of attention because I didn't know these were common problems until I happened upon a forum like this.........

My new one is working great.....I love my Treo. This is the third Handspring product I have had (Deluxe, Prism, now Treo). I've loved all 3, but this one is so small and light weight. I've ordered a cable to connect it to my cellphone so I can get my E-mail an browse the web. Should have it in the next couple of weeks. I'll be all set.
    Michelle
    I'm sorry to say guys but my Treo 90 is still going strong (no backlight problems). But in the upper right corner of the screen, the pixels are brighter than usual--it's been like that since day one when I got it.

Guess I'm one of the lucky bunch.
    Originally posted by TreoNine
    I'm sorry to say guys but my Treo 90 is still going strong (no backlight problems). But in the upper right corner of the screen, the pixels are brighter than usual--it's been like that since day one when I got it.

Guess I'm one of the lucky bunch.
    Same here. I'm going into Week 6, and I've yet to have any sort of issues, other than the loose stylus. I too have the "hot spot" in the upper-right corner, but I've yet to find anyone who *doesn't* have that...
    All side/back lit LCDs have variable brightness over their surface. This is normal. If you compare several Treo 90s in the store, they all look pretty much the same. The LED lights fom the top right corner and spreads the light thru light conductors to the edges of the LCD. I suspect that the battery life would suffer badly if they had used several LEDs to balance the brightness eventy across the whol LCD. It is a design compromise but I don't find it bothersome personally.
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Same here. I'm going into Week 6, and I've yet to have any sort of issues, other than the loose stylus.
    The loose stylus seems to be a universal issue. Mine just falls out by itself if you tip it a few degrees. I called Handspring, and they are sending an advance replacement unit, but it will be 5-8 days as each outgoing unit is being inspected for the backlight component problem. That doesn't seem to me to be an excessive wait for a non-essential repair.

I've had one other Handspring before, a Visor DX that developed the stylus holder cracks in the casing, and Handspring likewise replaced it without question.
    Pretty excited today to get my first hand unit!!! Was having a great time learning how to use it, plugged it into my pc too! Way cool. Thought to myself, I am really going to get organized in my life now! ......Poof! Screen goes dead. I Spend many hours trying to figure it out. No luck. I will call them on monday. Have spent 2 hours so far trying to figure it out. I guess I will get organized at some later date.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12