Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Has anybody else on voicestream ever seen the voicemail icon show up? I've had numerous new and old voicemails waiting for me at different times, and I've never seen the icon. I usually end up finding them by accident.

Where does the fault lie with this problem? (This also happened on my 180 before I upgraded to the 270)

- Matt
    I always get a SMS message telling me that I have a voice mail waiting for me.
    I actually called Voicestream about this and they said that the icon is phone dependant. And the Treo does not support it.:
    Originally posted by manielse
    I always get a SMS message telling me that I have a voice mail waiting for me.

Me too. I always get an SMS message. The Treo 270 does not support an icon. I'm with VoiceStream in Utah.
    I actually called Voicestream about this and they said that the icon is phone dependant. And the Treo does not support it.:
    Ah, not true... at least on Cingular. I have a 270 and the voicemail icon definitely does show up. I'm looking at it right now.

So the Treo *does* support it. It sounds as if Voicestream doesn't support it...

One important point to note is the icon only shows up while in the phone application, on the speed dial and number pad screens.

Cingular also does not send an SMS when a voice mail arrives. An actual "Voice Mail" app pops up over whatever you are doing with "ok" and "listen" buttons.
    I use VoiceStream, and I have a little icon that shows up right at the top next to my signal meter when I have voicemail waiting. On the other hand, I never get a SMS alert that there are msgs waiting....
    Ok, I am with VS in NYC -- I also get a SMS when a voicemail comes in and no icon (even if I disregard the SMS and leave the voicemail in limbo).
    The big question as I see it is: If that SMS is counted by VS as one of my included "ping-pong" messages -- meaning, am I using up resources that I pay for because theyt (either handspring/treo or VS) doesn't support the icon?
    I've never gotton a voicemail icon with either my VisorPhone or my T270. I always get an SMS message that pops up automatically.

I use VoiceStream in the Washington, DC area.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies. Interesting how it varies from region to region, even on the same carrier. I wonder what the deal is? Personally I'd rather have the icon instead of the SMS, as the icon is a constant reminder. Once I hit "OK" on the SMS, I usually forget about the voicemail (unless I check it right then and there, which I usually don't)

- Matt
    MikeK,

I'm also in NYC with VS. No voicemail icon for me either. I checked the VS website and it says the the voicemail SMS messages do not use up our 50 SMS messages.
    Originally posted by Distrachi
    MikeK,

I'm also in NYC with VS. No voicemail icon for me either. I checked the VS website and it says the the voicemail SMS messages do not use up our 50 SMS messages.
    This is true. I did some experiments last month with SMS and checked my bill. I had several SMS voicemail messages, and two messages that I did. The bill only reflected the two messages that I did.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by mportune
    Where does the fault lie with this problem? (This also happened on my 180 before I upgraded to the 270)

- Matt
    The Treo uses the CPHS Voicemail Indicator (6F11) and the Mailbox number (6F17) from the SIM card to retrieve voicemail status from the service provider's voicemail number.

From what I understand, Voicestream is not correctly sending the account information to the SIM. YOU MUST CONTACT Voicestream and have them send your account setup to your SIM. You will get a message (SMS) saying that your SIM has been activated when this is complete. You can then verify this by selecting SIM Services application on your Treo and your account number (phone number) and some other VS information will be displayed.

Then, once you receive this, your VM icon and screen notification will work. VS is lazy and only puts your account info active in their network and not to your SIM. Some get this message when they get their phone and have to call to activate, but if you got your phone, turned it on and it worked, then you'll for sure need to call.

Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Originally posted by thegman

YOU MUST CONTACT Voicestream and have them send your account setup to your SIM. You will get a message (SMS) saying that your SIM has been activated when this is complete. You can then verify this by selecting SIM Services application on your Treo and your account number (phone number) and some other VS information will be displayed.

>snip<

but if you got your phone, turned it on and it worked, then you'll for sure need to call.

Enjoy!
    Awesome - this is great information. I just got off the phone with voicestram and they said they made the fix, but said it would take a 24 hour cycle for it to take effect in the system. I'll post again in 24 to let everyone know if it worked.

Thanks thegman!

- Matt
    Thanks for the good info thegman.

Just got off the phone with Voicestream and after being transferred from regular csr, to wireless tech csr, to a vs "handspring treo" csr, they all told me the only way they notify voicemail is thru SMS.

I tried to convince them to send account info/setup to my sim card. Nobody heard of it, and the last guy said the only thing they can send to your sim card is your phone number so people can see your number on their caller id when you call them. None of them knew how to send account info/setup to sim card.

Oh well. Hope it works for you, mportune.
    I don't know if this is related or now, but My SIM has never had the phone number in the phone info window.

Now according to Handspring it should be there. Should it be there?

I contacted Voicestream 3-4 times about this. The first time they said they would send fix it. I got an sms message, that looked like it was from then, but it didn't fix it?

The times I tried to get the number on the sim, I either got "how is your phone working without the number" or hey it is working why worry about it?

Should I care if the number is there or not?

Can I get this fixed if I tell them to "send the account setup to the SIM"?

If I go to a voice stream store will they be able to fix it there?

BTW, I activated the card when I got my visor phone.

BTW,
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    The times I tried to get the number on the sim, I either got "how is your phone working without the number" or hey it is working why worry about it?

Should I care if the number is there or not?

Can I get this fixed if I tell them to "send the account setup to the SIM"?

If I go to a voice stream store will they be able to fix it there?

It does matter to take advantage of certain services that will be released that store information along with your valid EIN on the SIM. In addition, the information will need to be on your SIM, and visible, if you intend on using it in Europe GSM, etc.

Tell them to the send the account setup again, and it is important that they know it is for the Handspring Treo 270. They do have multiple programming routines for many different SIM loads and I have noticed that they are not keeping acurate record of the phone model on their end with your account information.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    When I talked to the rep yesterday, she had no idea what I meant by "transfer account info to the SIM" so I re-phrased it and said my voicemail icon wasn't showing up, and she lit up and knew exactly what to do.

I hope she didn't interpret it as my SMS notification, since that was working already. I guess I'll find out later today. (hopefully)

- Matt
    I have tried to call Voicestream...but none of the reps I spoke to (CSRs and TechReps) will do this for me because they all say it won't work.

Does asking Voicestream to "re-send your phone data to the SIM card" indeed allow the VoiceMail icon to show up?

Is there another question I could ask that will force them to do it?
    --NickC--
    Originally posted by Distrachi
    Thanks for the good info thegman.

Just got off the phone with Voicestream and after being transferred from regular csr, to wireless tech csr, to a vs "handspring treo" csr, they all told me the only way they notify voicemail is thru SMS.

I tried to convince them to send account info/setup to my sim card. Nobody heard of it, and the last guy said the only thing they can send to your sim card is your phone number so people can see your number on their caller id when you call them. None of them knew how to send account info/setup to sim card.

Oh well. Hope it works for you, mportune.
    Originally posted by thegman

From what I understand, Voicestream is not correctly sending the account information to the SIM. YOU MUST CONTACT Voicestream and have them send your account setup to your SIM. You will get a message (SMS) saying that your SIM has been activated when this is complete. You can then verify this by selecting SIM Services application on your Treo and your account number (phone number) and some other VS information will be displayed.

I called VS and had them send the account info to my SIM. I got the activation SMS, and my number now shows up when I look up phone info - but I still don't get the voicemail icon. Also, when I call up SIM Services, I still get the error "Unable to retrieve the SIM services menu...".

Additionally, this changed my voicemail speed dial number from 123 to the 'outside access' number - and the voicemail icon shows up in the edit speed dial window. I don't remember if this icon was there before VS flashed my SIM. Does anyone else have this?

Michael
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast