Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had the same experience as Michael. It sounds like they may not know what to do although the customer service rep seemed knowledgeable.
    Weeel, I got them to send the info (because I don't have the number on the sim), but it gave me an error: Update error call customer care-006c 6700.

this is the email I got from them about this: "Thank you for taking the time to contact VoiceStream Wireless. I have sent an update to the sim in your device that should correct this. Please note that your devices inability to display it's own number will have no effect on your service. Your number is assigned to your sim at a network level. This also will have no effect on the Sim Services menu which will not contain any options."
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. pjs
    I saw some comments about the SIM Services app. For most SIMs, this SIM Services will give the "no services available" message. A type of application called a SIM Toolkit (STK) Application can be installed on the SIM. STK apps would appear on a menu provided by the SIM Services app. This has nothing to do with the Voicemail icon.

thegman-

where did you find those two EFs that you reference (6f11 and 6f17)? I checked GSM 11.11 and didn't see them.

-pjs
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Just an update - I never received the 24-hour SMS notice, so I guess it didn't work.

I still receive SMS notification when I have voicemail, but no icon.

- Matt
    Originally posted by pjs

thegman-

where did you find those two EFs that you reference (6f11 and 6f17)? I checked GSM 11.11 and didn't see them.

-pjs
    Page 20 section 3.2.7 Under CPHS features of the HSP Treo 270 Development Guide.

Something I learned over the weekend is that VS is not properly matching phone models to accounts. In fact, a unit we are using was listed as a Visor according to their records. It took 3 flashes for the VM Icon to appear and work properly.

I also believe that HS has a issue too. I roamed in Cingular in Las Vegas and received the SMS 123 message rather than my Icon. When I got back to my VS area, the Icon worked. I am way confused by this but I think this is also a HS problem along with what they give the carriers to implement SMS comm.

G
    Originally posted by thegman

Page 20 section 3.2.7 Under CPHS features of the HSP Treo 270 Development Guide.

Something I learned over the weekend is that VS is not properly matching phone models to accounts. In fact, a unit we are using was listed as a Visor according to their records. It took 3 flashes for the VM Icon to appear and work properly.

I also believe that HS has a issue too. I roamed in Cingular in Las Vegas and received the SMS 123 message rather than my Icon. When I got back to my VS area, the Icon worked. I am way confused by this but I think this is also a HS problem along with what they give the carriers to implement SMS comm.

G
    The proble,m is that VS does not understand the issue. I ahve called in three times explaining the issue to three different tech support people and it still does not work?
    I got tired of Voicestream not understanding my problem so I went to my local VS store and asked them to replce my SIM card hoping the new set-up would fix the problem.

I had to pay $21.08 that will be credited to my account.

About 1 hour later I received 2 identical SMS messages saying:
    OTA OK

I still do not receive the voicemail icon.
    --NickC--
    I still get sms messages instead of the icon, but at least now I have the phone number in the phone info app.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Well, I'm currently screwed...

...I called and had them send the update, which consisted of 2-3 messages.

1) weclome to t-mobile, your number is....

2) OTA134351534 (not those numbers, but a standard update)

3) SIM CARD UPDATE - 672C

that last one I typed from memory because I have the following problems ever since they sent the update.

1) I don't get SMS messages, because:

2) I have to turn the phone off, then on, and then it realizes that there is an SMS in the sim. It asks if I want to transfer it over, i do.

3) regardless of what is send (voicemail alert, normal SMS, etc), I only get ONE message: SIM card update - 672C.

4) Trying to get VS to fix this is hard, they've apparently received directives to keep people away from Tech support at all costs.

5) Trying to fix this by calling VS from the treo itself is impossible. I learned this the hard way by being cut off by three different reps as they tried to fix it. Only the fourth knew that their attempts to fix it would cut me off.

of course.. the voicemail icon isn't there either.

updates to follow.
    ...and the sim card services doesn't work, either.

anybody know exactly what they are to send? cause apparently they sent me the wrong thing. I told them exactly the contents of this thread.. *sigh*

The treo without SMS is a sad state indeed.

Now I am REALLY confused!

I was traveling last week and DID get the voicemail icon while in Miami. I DID NOT get the icon while in Dallas or in my Home Service area in Salt Lake City. The service was VoiceStream in all three cities!

VoiceStream in Miami is doing something that VoiceStream in Dallas and Salt Lake City are not doing.

I wonder, wonder, wonder... !
    Howdy,

Depending on where you are and how the GSM network is set up in that area determines the notification method for Voicemail. Cingular uses both methods:

On the East Coast- SMS message
    On the West Coast- VoiceMail Icon

I'm sure Voicestream's network is set-up similarly...except maybe they use SMS/VM icon in different areas.

There is not a problem with the Treo or your SIM card. The issue is decided by the regional networks.

Later,
    Rob
    Voicestream customers on networks that "borrow" Cingular's GSM network may be the people with the voicemail icon.

California, North Carolina and other areas.
    --NickC--
    After resetting a few things, I'm back to receiving normal SMS messages and voicemail via SMS. It took three calls to get a rep who knew his stuff.

...I got the feeling from talking to him that he knows that some do and some don't get the icon, and that voicestream could fix this, but it's just too big a PITA.

oh well.
    My wife's Motorola V.60g also gets Voicestream SMS alerts for voicemail, so it isn't just the Treo in Austin, TX.
    This is the final word from Tmobile on the subject:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. I apologize for the
    delay of the response to your email, our Customer Service email has been
    experiencing high volumes recently. The voicemail icon on the Treo is
    carrier specific. Unfortunately our voicemail system is not set up to
    support this, the voicemail icon will never appear on the Treo, the only
    notification our systems generates is the SMS to your device. I
    apologize for the inconvenience.
    Steve Wolf
    Have you forgetten your meds or have I?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12