1.    #1  
    Anyone else having problems with your 270 holding a charge? I just had mine on the charger all day, and pulled it off to order a pizza. It showed full charge, though I didn't notice if green light was on or not. In the middle of the call though, about 3-4 mins in I got the low battery warning & then it shut down on me. I plugged it back in & was forced to reset. All in all was on for less than 5 mins, this really worries me.

This is the second time I've had it happen when it's shown a full charge & gone down to shutoff in just a few mins of talk time. Has anyone else had any problems with their battery? From now on I will pay more careful attention to the green light...

Also, anyone ever have their Treo interfere w/ their cable modem? When I get a call or SMS msg, or place a call while sitting here at my computer my (3Com) cable modem starts flashing it's "connect" button, which means it's disconnected from the cable server. It used to happen with my VisorPhone too, so it's pretty strange. Actually with the VisorPhone I would hear a buzzing in my computer speakers a few milliseconds before SMS msg alert came up or phone rang. That was really strange, but isn't happening anymore... anyway, what I'm getting to with this is I wonder if the extra electronic interference here at my computer is causing the phone to have to use more energy to transmit the signal (or clean the received signal). Not sure if cellular works like other networks, where packets need to be rebroadcast if they were not received or were dirty.

Ok, so the time it took me to compose this message & run some trash out the treo has been on the charger and is now back to green (about 30 mins)...

Chris
    Did you double-check to make sure that the Treo is charging properly? I suspect that it is not. Light should be red and and battery icon on speed dial screen (top right) should have an icon with a lighteninh bolt over it.

I have heard bthat USB cable modems really suck. Better to use a modem that plugs into a network card.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by yardie
    Did you double-check to make sure that the Treo is charging properly? I suspect that it is not. Light should be red and and battery icon on speed dial screen (top right) should have an icon with a lighteninh bolt over it.
    Yeah, it seems to be charging fine... I can use it to have conversations away from my 'puter & it's ok. I can use it all day at work w/ no problems, it just seems that it's when sitting here & not plugged in that it drops incredibly fast...

After a bit more experimenting today it seems it definitely drops 10x+ faster when sitting here at the computer than in other parts of my house, or outside... very strange.

I have heard bthat USB cable modems really suck. Better to use a modem that plugs into a network card.
    Actually this supports both USB & 10BaseT and I am using the network cable w/ it plugged into a Linksys router, not the USB.

Chris
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Perhaps there is a multi-dimensional energy vortex next to your computer. Seriously though does it really ONLY happen like that when it is sitting NEXT TO your computer? If so perhaps the computer EMI is interferring with the cell portion of your phone. Does the battery also do this when cell mode is OFF?
    --Denny
    Perhaps there is a multi-dimensional energy vortex next to your computer.
    Sounds more like a subspace damping field to me.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
  6. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cjenkins

After a bit more experimenting today it seems it definitely drops 10x+ faster when sitting here at the computer than in other parts of my house, or outside... very strange.
    Probably your location and the presence of computer RFI is degrading your signal from the base station. All cellphones vary their transmit power in line with signal quality, and you're probably doing more cell searches too. More power + More transmissions = less battery life. This is why manufacturer battery life claims are rarely met in real life, as they measure them in a perfect environment (i.e. ideal temperature, and a real strong base station signal).
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Me2

Probably your location and the presence of computer RFI is degrading your signal from the base station. All cellphones vary their transmit power in line with signal quality, and you're probably doing more cell searches too. More power + More transmissions = less battery life. This is why manufacturer battery life claims are rarely met in real life, as they measure them in a perfect environment (i.e. ideal temperature, and a real strong base station signal).
    Yes, that is what it seems to be. After further experimenting I've found the only times I can leave the phone near my computer is when it's attached to the charging cable, no worries.

I also recently started using an old 4U VA Server at work as my workstation. When I come in in the morning I put my bag down on the floor next to the server. I've found if I don't take my Treo out of the bag & put it on my desk by noon it will be in the red. It's definitely some sort of interference causing the Treo to use more power to communicate with the local cell tower.

Chris