1.    #1  
    I need some input on which of these programs is the best one to buy:

Dataviz's Documents2Go or Cutting Edge's QuickOffice. Both seem like they will fulfill my needs, and both appear to be highly regarded. Can anyone offer their insight on which one might be the best? Thanks in advance.
    Since both seem to fulfill your needs, I recommend Quickoffice because it's cheaper
    Originally posted by txqc2000
    I need some input on which of these programs is the best one to buy:

Dataviz's Documents2Go or Cutting Edge's QuickOffice. Both seem like they will fulfill my needs, and both appear to be highly regarded. Can anyone offer their insight on which one might be the best? Thanks in advance.

I use QuickOffice 6 but it seems to keep crashing 95% of the time whenever I try to quit QuickWord after editing a heavy document. QuickSheet/QuickChart is fine though, I don't know why it is like this. This may be due to conflicts with some other software. A friend reported no problems with it.

If you only edit doc files, try WordSmith - it's lightweight, fast and works in conjunction with memopad.

http://www.bluenomad.com/
    Originally posted by PipSqueak

I use QuickOffice 6 but it seems to keep crashing 95% of the time whenever I try to quit QuickWord after editing a heavy document. QuickSheet/QuickChart is fine though, I don't know why it is like this. This may be due to conflicts with some other software. A friend reported no problems with it.

If you only edit doc files, try WordSmith - it's lightweight, fast and works in conjunction with memopad.

http://www.bluenomad.com/
    i tried all versions (including demo and full) of WordSmith, and i couldnt get it running, every time i enter the program it would automatically give me that fatal error message and my handheld would ask me to stab it at the back. i now use QuickOffice 6 (i only use QuickWord). funny... i never had problems with QuickWord but plenty with WordSmith. but you're completely opposite.

i use it on Visor Deluxe.
    "I am Mister Yum."
    I think they have a VFS and a non-VFS version of Wordsmith, the VFS version may have been causing this problem.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I am torn right now myself. I am presently trialing both Documents To Go and Iambic Office. I think I will trial Quick Office as well to make sure I have tried everything. So far I like Iambic Office the most and don't like DTG at all. The ONE thing that DTG has going for it is the PowerPoint viewer which seems very cool. I wish they sold this seperately.
    --Denny
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by dbasham
    I am torn right now myself. I am presently trialing both Documents To Go and Iambic Office. I think I will trial Quick Office as well to make sure I have tried everything. So far I like Iambic Office the most and don't like DTG at all. The ONE thing that DTG has going for it is the PowerPoint viewer which seems very cool. I wish they sold this seperately.
    --Denny
    I actually have Iambic Office. The only reason I'm considering the other 2 (Docs2Go and QuickOffice) is that it seems that other 3rd Party vendors only support the latter 2 programs and not Iambic Office. One such vendor in particular is Corsoft and their Aileron mail program which can use either Docs2Go or Quickoffice to open a MS Word or Excel attachment. Iambic Mail's supposed ability to open Word or Excel attachments with their Iambic Office suite simply doesn't work (and they admit this much in their discussion forum). Unfortunately, by the time I realized this, it was too late to request a refund.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Hmmm...

Not sure whether I care a bunch about the attachments a bunch. Are you saying that you can't open attachments FROM IambicMail? If so this is NO biggie for me as I use Yahoo WebMail for all my viewing and can probably get to a desktop to checkout attachments.

Basically I really just want to be able to SEE documents on the handheld as I don't anticipate doing too much editing (although that is a nice feature).

I am downloading an e-book program (MobipocketOfficeCompanion and MobiPocketReader) that claims to convert PowerPoint docs so you can read them in MobiPocketReader. Actually the whole eBook thing seems like a good idea anyway so what they hey.

Now all I have to worry about is running out of space on my Treo (gonna have to decide which one I want soon or I will run out of space).
    --Denny
    I'm pretty happy with Docs to go. I wanted a suite that would handle everything from word to jpeg files reliably, and docs to go does that well. It has never crashed and I like the automatic email transfer. I chose docs to go mostly because I was new to palm OS (having lived with CE for years...and then the Rex) and it promised to be both easy and complete. It has delivered and I've read a lot of docs and edited a few, including a 700K Word file, without any difficulties. If someone else is paying, docs to go is a fine choice.
  10.    #10  
    dbasham - Yes. Despite Iambic's claims, Iambic Mail does NOT allow you to download and read attachments wirelessly. It has to be Hotsync'ed. Iambic has acknowledged this in their technical support forum, but I do not believe they have changed the description on their product(s) (Mail and Office Suite) to clearly state this fact. By the time I realized the problem was with Iambic's software and not my Treo, it was too late to return the product. I guess technically I still could under the consumer protection statutes in my state as a result of Iambic's misleading statements, but it isn't really worth it to me. The product works ok otherwise, but the office suite is not supported by such e-mail products as Corsoft's Aileron.

preston- I appreciate the input. After testing both Docs2Go and Quickoffice, I am leaning towards the former as it seems to be a more complete product.
    I too have both D2G v4 and QOfc. v6. I don't have the crash problems PipSqueak did. It works fine. I too use Corsoft Aileron email service. I've received converted MS Word doc's and others have received doc's converted to MS Word by Corsoft's service.

While D2G includes PowerPoint and PDF viewers, I think -- correct me here -- that only with QOfc. you can compose a new doc on the Treo and send it. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can do it with D2G.

It should work the same for spreadsheets too, but I haven't had occasion to send one yet.

I really liked WordSmith too but QOfc. seems to work and play well with Aileron. I'm willing to give up some of WordSmith's features to get compose & send capability with QOfc.
    DataViz is supposedly working on an email program that will allow you to send attachments composed with D2G on your hand held. It is called In-Box-to-Go.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers