Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have spent a few days searching the internet and a couple of hours with Palm chat and phone support. I finally spoke with a level 2 support rep who told me categorically that my hardware and/or OS was corrupted and I needed to send the phone in for repair for $249. He denied any other possible cause. Before you throw your phone away, read on. I want to put this out there to re-pay the hundred or so posts I've read that, putting them together, helped me solve this problem in about 1 minute.

This is what was happening to me: A few days ago, my 755p started initiating a cradle/cable Hotsync even though it was not connected to the cradle/cable. This happened every few minutes and went on for a couple of days. It was even a further mystery because my Hotsync options are set to Bluetooth. Judging from all the unsolved posts I've seen, this should sound familiar to many people (other Treo model owners too).

I finally started searching the internet and trying stuff. One of the things I did was to try some ## codes. One of them (UPST) brought me into the Bootloader screen. This is a screen with eight colored boxes and a number on the top. If you have an SD card installed, it will ask you to press the up arrow to load the ROM image. If you don't press up or don't have an SD card installed it will go to the "rainbow" screen.

Finding no way out of that screen, I pulled the battery in order to do a reset (there is no reset hole on the 755p). When I put the battery back in, it went to the Bootloader screen immediately. That is, there was no "Access Powered" or "Palm" logo screens - just right into the bootloader. Because of that, there was never an opportunity to do a hard reset - the OS never started.

I had thought that I had put the phone irrevocably into this screen by wiping my OS when I keyed in that sequence and that the only way to solve it was to load the ROM image. That ROM image is simply not available anywhere and Palm told me that they won't give it to me to do myself because they want the $249.

In my internet searches, I ran into a few posts that instructed people on how to get into the Bootloader screen. A few of them said to hold down the Hotsync button while doing a reset by pulling and replacing the battery. I had ignored those because I had already gotten into that screen and was trying to find how to get out of it. Many of the posters had talked about getting into this "Hotsync Loop" and some had said that it had started when their phone got wet.

Ah-ha. I had gotten a little Sprite on the bottom of my phone a few days ago. If the dried Sprite were creating a short on my phone's connector (the one used to connect the cradle/cable with the Hotsync button) then the phone might think that I were holding down the Hotsync button. That would explain the continuous Hotsync attempts (pressing that button initiates a cradle/cable Hotsync even if you've set your Hotsync option to something else). And, if holding down the Hotsync button while doing a reset by pulling and replacing the battery causes the phone to go into the Bootloader screen then that would explain that too and might even mean that my OS and data were intact if I could fix the problem.

Here's how I SOLVED the problem: I got some rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip and just drenched the connector on the phone with the alcohol using the swab and scrubbed the connector with the swab as I was doing it. I then used a can of compressed air with a nozzle on it to blow out the connector with the still-wet alcohol in it for about 5 full seconds. I put the battery back into the phone and Voila, it booted right back up, with my data intact and no further spontaneous Hotsync attempts .

So, I have put so many of the keywords that I searched for into this lengthy description that people with the same problem will surely find this post when Googling their symptoms. And for all of them, they can now save countless hours of searching and the price of a new phone too.

PS: If you think your phone may still be wet on the inside then bury it in a bag of dry rice for a day or two to help speed up the drying process. Then proceed with the alcohol and compressed air.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have spent a few days searching the internet and a couple of hours with Palm chat and phone support. I finally spoke with a level 2 support rep who told me categorically that my hardware and/or OS was corrupted and I needed to send the phone in for repair for $249. He denied any other possible cause. Before you throw your phone away, read on. I want to put this out there to re-pay the hundred or so posts I've read that, putting them together, helped me solve this problem in about 1 minute.

This is what was happening to me: A few days ago, my 755p started initiating a cradle/cable Hotsync even though it was not connected to the cradle/cable. This happened every few minutes and went on for a couple of days. It was even a further mystery because my Hotsync options are set to Bluetooth. Judging from all the unsolved posts I've seen, this should sound familiar to many people (other Treo model owners too).

I finally started searching the internet and trying stuff. One of the things I did was to try some ## codes. One of them (UPST) brought me into the Bootloader screen. This is a screen with eight colored boxes and a number on the top. If you have an SD card installed, it will ask you to press the up arrow to load the ROM image. If you don't press up or don't have an SD card installed it will go to the "rainbow" screen.

Finding no way out of that screen, I pulled the battery in order to do a reset (there is no reset hole on the 755p). When I put the battery back in, it went to the Bootloader screen immediately. That is, there was no "Access Powered" or "Palm" logo screens - just right into the bootloader. Because of that, there was never an opportunity to do a hard reset - the OS never started.

I had thought that I had put the phone irrevocably into this screen by wiping my OS when I keyed in that sequence and that the only way to solve it was to load the ROM image. That ROM image is simply not available anywhere and Palm told me that they won't give it to me to do myself because they want the $249.

In my internet searches, I ran into a few posts that instructed people on how to get into the Bootloader screen. A few of them said to hold down the Hotsync button while doing a reset by pulling and replacing the battery. I had ignored those because I had already gotten into that screen and was trying to find how to get out of it. Many of the posters had talked about getting into this "Hotsync Loop" and some had said that it had started when their phone got wet.

Ah-ha. I had gotten a little Sprite on the bottom of my phone a few days ago. If the dried Sprite were creating a short on my phone's connector (the one used to connect the cradle/cable with the Hotsync button) then the phone might think that I were holding down the Hotsync button. That would explain the continuous Hotsync attempts (pressing that button initiates a cradle/cable Hotsync even if you've set your Hotsync option to something else). And, if holding down the Hotsync button while doing a reset by pulling and replacing the battery causes the phone to go into the Bootloader screen then that would explain that too and might even mean that my OS and data were intact if I could fix the problem.

Here's how I SOLVED the problem: I got some rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip and just drenched the connector on the phone with the alcohol using the swab and scrubbed the connector with the swab as I was doing it. I then used a can of compressed air with a nozzle on it to blow out the connector with the still-wet alcohol in it for about 5 full seconds. I put the battery back into the phone and Voila, it booted right back up, with my data intact and no further spontaneous Hotsync attempts .

So, I have put so many of the keywords that I searched for into this lengthy description that people with the same problem will surely find this post when Googling their symptoms. And for all of them, they can now save countless hours of searching and the price of a new phone too.

PS: If you think your phone may still be wet on the inside then bury it in a bag of dry rice for a day or two to help speed up the drying process. Then proceed with the alcohol and compressed air.
    Great!
    Thank you.
    It worked for me.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    So glad I found your post! It's amazing how a simple thing like dirty port contacts can cause such problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAtl View Post

Hi, I did exactly what you did and my phone has gotten better, but now it doesn't ring anymore. I used a blow dryer instead. Do you have any suggestions I might be able to try?
    Last edited by Beth73; 05/27/2012 at 11:19 PM.