Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    FYI: I wrote to HS support asking when the 270 would be available in retail outlets. In so doing, I referenced some of the reported (and discussed here) problems, such as the "Blank Screen" disease. And I asked (delicately) if perhaps HS was waiting to solve and stabilize the prod and QC before supplying stores. If anyone is interested, this is what they wrote back.

"Thank you for contacting Handspring.

We appreciate your continued interest in the Treo 270, and also your concerns for the quality of the product. We would not continue to ship web orders if there were uncorrected problems with the 270. We have not received any significant negative feedback from customers regarding back light failure on this model.

When customers have something to complain about, they usually do not hesitate to inform us. Additionally, we have notreceived any directives from the corporate office regarding this issue. Perhaps the chat room gossip is more related to the 180 than the 270.

Our priority at introduction is to have available products for our loyal web customers. Retail sales of the 270 will become more accessible as web orders are met and inventory increases beyond the current web demand. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email or call Customer
    Care at
    1-888-565-9393.

Regards,
    Ken
    Handspring Email Response"
    Originally posted by Carpius
    FYI: I wrote to HS support asking when the 270 would be available in retail outlets. In so doing, I referenced some of the reported (and discussed here) problems, such as the "Blank Screen" disease. And I asked (delicately) if perhaps HS was waiting to solve and stabilize the prod and QC before supplying stores. If anyone is interested, this is what they wrote back.
    Although the rep might be telling the truth as he knows it, he is obviously an email support rep, so I am not sure how many returns/exchanges they handle, but I work for an online gift company and we handle hardly any returns via email, even when the product is defective.

I had an idea, because there are so many problems, and no one is sure if they are being corrected -- let's jointly compile a database of Treo serial numbers and the corresponding problems. We can then gauge if they go away and which ones are happening the most.