Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Personally I would take $25.00 and flush it down the toilette. There is no way that I know of that such a thing can work. The antenna on a cell phone is a vetical ... that booster is ... pretty -- if you like hippie painted VW vans, but non-functional.

I'd love to see some antenna tech get on and tell us WHY it works, but I honestly do not think it does.

And yes ... there will be peopel that get on and swear that works. Just like magnets cure lumbego and copper bracelets cure arthritis.

Gary
    I'm also concerned about my own incompetence. I could unscrew my antenna on my 180 but on my 270 it just doesn't seem to unscrew no matter how many times I turn it. I obviously have done it before and know how to unscrew the antenna for the 180 and doing the same thing doesn't work on my 270. I wonder if they made some 270's with antenna that don't unscrew.
    Hey, mine used to unscrew when I first got the Treo. I took it off just to see if it would be easily replaceble. But now I can't get it to budge at all. Oh well, I don't need to take it off. Sorry for the previous arrogance about the antenna. Maybe over time and the 99 degree heat, they just seize.

I still think the battery saver stuff is adversely affecting reception, even in good coverage areas. It seems that sometimes it just goes away (red light blinking) - like Shock mentioned - and then comes back when you open the lid (3 or 4 bars of signal). It's weird.

Later,
    Rob
    I experience the same exact symptoms you have just described.
    I too think that it is with battery power management.
    Of course today I cannot see how many bars I have because my screen has gone black again. I can't wait for handspring to run out of units from the supposed "bad batch".
    I think the backlight on my screen is starting to die a slow death. Sometimes it blinks to a lesser brightness and won't return to its previous brightness until a while later. Sometimes its a few minutes, sometimes it a few hours. Anyway, Handspring is sending a replacement. I'm kinda bummed that this is happening to an otherwise wonderful product.

Rob
  5.    #65  
    Regardless of earlier statements made by Gary Little the phone is clearly defective in more ways than one, especially when it comes to cellular reception. My wifes Motorola phone, on the same Voicestream network, can receive and place calls when at the local shopping mall. My Treo 270 in the same locations shows "no network available." The facts don't lie, the Treo 270 is inferior when it comes to cellular reception. Those looking for a reliable phone need to look elsewhere, unless Handspring decides to acknowledge the problem and correct it.

Mark
    Last edited by Spike1; 07/19/2002 at 08:32 PM.
    Originally posted by rmcalister

Hey, mine used to unscrew when I first got the Treo. I took it off just to see if it would be easily replaceble. But now I can't get it to budge at all. Oh well, I don't need to take it off. Sorry for the previous arrogance about the antenna. Maybe over time and the 99 degree heat, they just seize.

I still think the battery saver stuff is adversely affecting reception, even in good coverage areas. It seems that sometimes it just goes away (red light blinking) - like Shock mentioned - and then comes back when you open the lid (3 or 4 bars of signal). It's weird.

Later,
    Rob
    Just curious, did you have a 180 first? The antenna on my 270 has never unscrewed, but the one on my 180 does. Maybe you're remembering unscrewing the 180's? Just a thought.
  7. DBM
    Much better reception than My old Star-Tac friends tell me they cant tell if im on a land line or my cell phone. So far everythings great with the 270 none of the problems i have seen posted here have shown themselves. Very small bright spot in upper right corner of display which is hardly noticeable screen working great speakerphone very loud I keep it one nothc below full for use and it seems even that is a bit loud. Same goes for normal phone use volume is more than loud enough I keep it 2-3 notches below max unless on a busy street or in my VERY loud car which is a hopped up mustang which in all reality shoul not be driven on te street lol but i can still use the phone just fine on max volume while driving the car. Headset works fine no problems with hangups...I'm ecstatically happy thus far after having the phone albeit itonly for 3 days. time will tell how well it holds up but I am cotent enough to have to work my way through a few problems or even a replacement if need be simpy because there is just nothing that compares to this on the market. Only thing that comes close is that hugh nokia that unflds which is ridiculously to large for me to ever consider carrying around!
    The Treo 270 is compromise device. The transceiver it uses is probably a cell phone transceiver and NOT suitable for close proximity to the CPU of a PDA. Therefore the receiver is tweaked to avoid RFI from the PDA electronics. Had they not done that you would not have been able to use it. The next generation cell phone transcievers will most likely be spec'd for communicators. Till then ...

Its a compromise boys and girls ...

Oh by the way ... the Kyocera 7135 has a very impressive telescoping antenna.

Gary
    Oh, and the 7135 also seperates the PDA from the transceiver by putting one in either half of the clam shell. This seperation will most likely allow them to tweak the receiver for max gain on incoming signals. So ... add a hot receiver to a telescoping antenna and seperate the RFI components ... and we have more "bars" for the buck.

This amateur radio operator will probably wait for the 7135 --- thanks to all the negative comments about poor receive signals in the 270.

Gary
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234