Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My antenna on the 270 unscrews
    I agree with George. My wifes Free Nokia with no external antenna will have a signal and can receive and send calls while my Treo 270 has no service.
    I can turn off wireless mode and turn it on again and the signal meter goes to 2-3 bars. After a period of inactivity, no signal on the Treo.
    That said my verizon phones blow both away.
    I don't know if it is the network or the handset, but something needs to be done about it.
    If you want the "hot" receiver of a cell phone then use a cell phone.

The Treo is a first generation hybred device. It is not a cellphone. It is not a PDA. A true cell will beat it hands down as a cell phone, but loose its shirt when it comes to PDA functions. Something had to give when they shoved 16 MB, a cell phone transceiver, and a CPU controlling a color LCD and all the other functionality that exists into the same piece of plastic small enought to fit in your hand and not require an Schwartznegger to keep it at your ear..

Your Treo's receiver is not as "hot" as your wifes Nokia. Great big whoop.

Did you ever think that if your Treo receiver were tweaked and tuned to be that hot you wouldn't be able to use it because the IF (that's intermediate frequency) in the transceiver would be swamped by RFI from the CPU/PDA? Remove the RFI from the CPU/PDA you say? Ok. Do you really want to carry around the 5 pound brick that would require to get the CPU/PDA far enough away from the transceiver and allow all those RFI filters and cores that reduce the CPU/PDA RFI.

The Treo is a first generation design compromise. If you want a Treo that has a hotter receiver than your wifes cell phone, then go buy a Treo 450, or a Kyocera 9235. I understand those will use subspace frequencies and have a submicroscopic, infinite gain loop, as an antenna, teraquads of memory and last I heard they were working on a site to site transporter ...

naaa the FCC nixed the transporter when the test engineer lost his fingers ...

Gary

You are very strange, Gary.
    If you do not wish to post helpful responses, then don't respond.
    Mine just turns, doesn't seem to unscrew. Odd.
    Originally posted by Kevin0306
    You are very strange, Gary.
    If you do not wish to post helpful responses, then don't respond.
    Let me interrpret that ... Your information is non-sequitor since you do not agree with us that know better that there is a design defect in the Treo.

Sheesh ... now which response was not helpful to those that want to listen ... ok ... yeah ... the Lucy post was a bit obtuse.

You want a helpful response ... Ok ...

1. Live with the poor reception.
    2. Move to a mountain top.
    3. Move closer to, and always have line of site with your cell tower.
    4. Unscrew your Treo antenna and shove a 3 foot hunk of copper wire in the now empty hole on top of your Treo.
    5. Use your old Treo antenna as a suppository. (oops sorry ... not really helpful)

Gary
    The antenna doesn't unscrew.
    Then wrap or coil enough of that 3 foot length of copper around the Treo antenna to get a good inductive match and super glue it in place.

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

Then wrap or coil enough of that 3 foot length of copper around the Treo antenna to get a good inductive match and super glue it in place.

Gary
    Gary, go buy a Treo 270 or 300 and use it for a month then bring your useful posts to this forum with some "real" experience. On second thought use it for a few years first.
    I think I'm going to have to agree with george_vc about rhe problem being the battery saving software. Tonight I noticed that I had three bars while my treo was on and I just let it turn off by itself and as soon as it turned off the light started blinking red. I turned it back on and it said I didn't have a singal. I waited a few seconds and got my three bars back but when the phone turned off because I left it on the signal got dropped again. I watched it do this several times. Maybe there will be a fix for it in the gprs patch.
    The antenna absolutely does unscrew!
    I'm concerned about our competence as a group if we can't figure out how to unscrew the antenna.

Anyway, the reception on the Treo 270 is not as good as some other GSM phones I've used. i.e. Ericcson T28W, CF788. However, it is better than others I've used. i.e. Motorola T-series. None of the ones I've used have reception in most of the places where I completely lose signal on the Treo, including the Nokia 3300s, 5100s, Motorola v60, T-series, Ericcson CFs, T28, Siemens S40 with one exception...The Nokia 6100 series of which are almost impossible to find new at a Cingular dealer.

So, live with the fact that very likely, none of us have the best receiving cell phone anymore (using GSM networks) unless we have a Nokia 61xx.

Later,
    Rob
    I also think the battery saving plays tricks with the reception. I wish it didn't.

Later,
    Rob
    Originally posted by rmcalister

The antenna absolutely does unscrew!
    I'm concerned about our competence as a group if we can't figure out how to unscrew the antenna.

I'm also concerned about my own incompetence. I could unscrew my antenna on my 180 but on my 270 it just doesn't seem to unscrew no matter how many times I turn it. I obviously have done it before and know how to unscrew the antenna for the 180 and doing the same thing doesn't work on my 270. I wonder if they made some 270's with antenna that don't unscrew. I also don't have any problems with my screen and never had. Maybe I received a later model with the screen problem fixed and an antenna that doesn't unscrew.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Maybe the plastic housing surrounding the metal antenna has come detached from the metal. Perhaps a cloth around the antenna housing and a little pressure from a hand tool without denting the antenna might work. However probably not worth messing with unless it needs replacement.
    Originally posted by ShockSLL

I'm also concerned about my own incompetence. I could unscrew my antenna on my 180 but on my 270 it just doesn't seem to unscrew no matter how many times I turn it. I obviously have done it before and know how to unscrew the antenna for the 180 and doing the same thing doesn't work on my 270. I wonder if they made some 270's with antenna that don't unscrew. I also don't have any problems with my screen and never had. Maybe I received a later model with the screen problem fixed and an antenna that doesn't unscrew.
    Same here, my 180 antenna unscrews fine, but not the 270. It's difficult to turn at all, in fact, as if it is not meant to unscrew. I can turn and turn it though, and no indication that the antenna has any intention of coming loose, even with some upward pull applied while turning.

I also have the intermittent signal problem at work with the 270. Signal is weak at my desk, and occassionally goes away for a short time. I'm missing calls, which is annoying. We moved locations just after I purchased the 270, so I can't compare it to the 180, I just know I'm really annoyed by it.

Other than that I like the unit, just wish they'd used a reflective screen.

I don't know that this has anything to do with anything, but I removed MaTreo (because I was not using it anymore) and the random "blackouts" and missing calls disappeared.

Especially after HotSyncing, I had to do either a hard reset or wait several minutes for the signal to come back. Not anymore.

Any thoughts on this?
    Originally posted by joseorlandi

I don't know that this has anything to do with anything, but I removed MaTreo (because I was not using it anymore) and the random "blackouts" and missing calls disappeared.

Especially after HotSyncing, I had to do either a hard reset or wait several minutes for the signal to come back. Not anymore.

Any thoughts on this?
    I've never installed MAtreo and I still have the problem. I use lots of other treo specific software though. We kind of went through the software option at the beginning of this thread. I'm also been wondering if maybe the more of the 16MB that we have used up the more power the treo consumes and that maybe the power saving software is cutting the voltage and/or current too low to continue receiving a good signal. I have 4MB free. I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried a hard reset and not do a hotsync for a couple days and see if just the default config lost reception a lot? Thanks.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    I have poor reception without hacks or additional software. The trickle on the RAM is puney. The Modem and screen and the large consumers of power. It would be nice to know exactly what the battery saver software does, and how it interacts with the GSM modem for conservation of energy.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Has any one tried an antenna booster on their Treo to improve reception. Once such product is:

http://www.skymall.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...d=92283571%400

I have read mixed feedback on these devices, but overall the concensus is that there is some improvement as the capture and refocus stray signals. I am not a wireless technician by any means and cannot validate what I have read. Just curious if anyone has experience with this or is it just marketing hype.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast