Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    A pre-opening report from Sanford Bernstein was slightly negative as regards Sprint PCS's launch of its 3G network......"the launch of 1xRTT data services is unlikely before mid-August; chance of a delay has increased, as customer care reps do not appear ready for the product launch. Maintains outperform rating."

I guess Treo 300 and 3g still have a while to wait!
    While I suppose the "Sprint Treo" could be launched without Sprint's 3G service, I think the greatest benefit of the device won't be tapped until 3G services are available (just as the greatest benefits of the Treo 180 and 270 haven't been tapped without GPRS service).
    Originally posted by amakh007
    ... as customer care reps do not appear ready for the product launch...
    this is a joke, right? Sprint customer care reps don't know what cell phones or customers are!

-reed
    Originally posted by reedwade

this is a joke, right? Sprint customer care reps don't know what cell phones or customers are!

-reed
    LOL
    Very nice!!

homer
    Here's an interesting article about the delay of Sprint's 3G network:

Sprint Corp.'s PCS Group plans to push back the launch its high-speed mobile service by about a month, one of its mobile phone suppliers said Tuesday.

"Sprint... effectively postponed their 3G introduction from July to Aug. 10. On Aug. 10 they will be introducing the so-called 3G products," said Philip Christopher, president and chief executive officer of Audiovox Corp.

Sprint, which has not publicly announced a launch date, would not confirm the dates given by Christopher in answer to an analyst's question during a quarterly conference call held to discuss the supplier's earnings.
    However, it seems as if the Treo 300 still could be launched even before Sprint's 3G rollout; the article also says:

"We weren't on the call but it's a false assumption to tie in what might be discussed as product delivery dates to the full-fledged launch of Sprint's 3G service," said a Sprint spokesman who would not comment on the launch date aside from saying that the company is still on track for a launch this summer.
    Someone's getting busted for leaking information. That's not the way that I would encourage a new busniess partnership to develop, but maybe that's why I am only me and not one of the big important people.

While the Treo 300 can be launched before Sprint turns on their 3G network, it would do no good. You would only be able to use the device for voice. Sprint has a very laborious process to get access to the 3G data network right now. While it is possible, you would have to be friends with Bill Esery to get on that list without being a part of a major business.

homer
    While the Treo 300 can be launched before Sprint turns on their 3G network, it would do no good. You would only be able to use the device for voice.

What? No dial-up data capability? What about users who don't necessarily want (or can't afford) 3G?

Right now I pay $60/mo. for 600 anytime time minutes and 5400 evening/weekend minutes, which includes data calls. I have no idea how my usage pattern on 3G will translate into dollars until I've used the service for a month and seen the bill. I'd at least like to have the possibility of opting out if the service is too expensive.
    Is Sprint's 3G network ging to increase its voice network coverage area, or is it just going to enhance its data network?
    "Try Not! Do or Do Not! There is no try! Yoda
    In conversations with Sprint commercial reps (regarding our corporate contract they're competing for), they indicated that the 3G network is actually "on" already - they just haven't "launched" the services and devices... Interesting.

Also, we specifically asked if coverage would improve, and they wouldn't commit to that (in other words, "no").

Paul
    I would imagine that Sprint's 3G network would only be a subset of their regular network until they upgrade all of their sites. In those areas that are covered by their 3G network, I think (not totally sure) one of the features the network is suppose to offer due to the newer technology is fewer dropped calls.
    I just spoke with a knowledgeable sales person at a Sprint PCS store who had received the recent round of 3G training. He was told that the 3G rollout would occur between August 13 and August 31. He was also told that the Treo 300 would not be available until the end of that period. I'm not sure how reliable this information is, but this guy has had some accurate info in the past.

For what it's worth . . .
    I just spoke with a knowledgeable sales person at a Sprint PCS store who had received the recent round of 3G training. He was told that the 3G rollout would occur between August 13 and August 31. He was also told that the Treo 300 would not be available until the end of that period.

Sigh. Why is this all too believable? Oh well, August 31 it is (when Sprint announces that it will be September 31).