Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do you guys think your Treo 270 is operating slower than it should?

I would click on dial, to dial a persons number, and it would take about 2 seconds or so to change the screen so I know I clicked on the button correctly.

Why can't Handspring make it operate quicker, so I don't end up waiting everytime I make a call?

Is this the same with the Treo 180?

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    All you have to do is overclock it and you'll notice a big difference. Since the moment I received my 270, I have been running at 46Mhz and everything works fine.

You can find the overclock app, FastCPU to work just fine. You can even fine tune the speed to the specific app in case you do have problems.

My PocketMark score went from a 168 to a 207.

This CNet.Asia article is a gopod read. It also talks about another benchmark and overclock app.

Report back what you find but I am as happy as could be.

G
  3.    #3  
    That app keeps crashing my Treo.

I guess I can't use it.

Stan
    very nice for the normal palm apps but I can not use it for the phone. when i enable max speet the phone does not work!

cu orangebutton
    I did have to set the phone apps to 33Mhz but I leave everything else at full throttle.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by thegman
    I did have to set the phone apps to 33Mhz but I leave everything else at full throttle.
    So this means the phone still operates super slow as usual????

I'm trying to boost the speed of this up a bit.

Stan
    Originally posted by Stanward

So this means the phone still operates super slow as usual????

I'm trying to boost the speed of this up a bit.

Stan
    Define super slow:

a) The phone look-up of the address book,
    b) Caller ID display on new call
    c) selecting between phone pad views
    d) ?????????

From my unit, without a FastCPU, the phone portion runs fine. I only added FastCPU for some business APPS that are huge number crunchers. The address book, calendar, memo, etc. all run normal. If those basic apps are crawling, then you have something wrong with the unit, perhaps a hack or such.

G
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by thegman

Define super slow:

a) The phone look-up of the address book,
    b) Caller ID display on new call
    c) selecting between phone pad views
    d) ?????????

From my unit, without a FastCPU, the phone portion runs fine. I only added FastCPU for some business APPS that are huge number crunchers. The address book, calendar, memo, etc. all run normal. If those basic apps are crawling, then you have something wrong with the unit, perhaps a hack or such.

G
    It is slow when using the phone, like if I tap on "Voicemail" to check voicemail, it'll take 2 to 3 seconds for it to change the screen(to show me it's dialing Voicemail).

Also, if I click on "dial" on any number or on my dial history. Same speed of operation.

I do not run any hacks at all.

Stan
    Do you think signal strength might be an issue? If you manually input a number when in the keypad screen, then click "dial", does it also take a few seconds?

I think I've noticed behavior like this when I was low on signal strength.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Sigma8
    Do you think signal strength might be an issue? If you manually input a number when in the keypad screen, then click "dial", does it also take a few seconds?

I think I've noticed behavior like this when I was low on signal strength.
    Slow operation happens ALL of the time. Even after performing a hard reset with no apps installed.

I would tap on "Voicemail" it would take 2-3 seconds for the screen to change (where you can tap on the cancel button to stop the dialing process).

Stan
    Originally posted by Stanward
    I would tap on "Voicemail" it would take 2-3 seconds for the screen to change (where you can tap on the cancel button to stop the dialing process).
    So it also happens if you manually enter a number, i.e. not using quickdial nor using a number from your "Contacts"? When I click on "Voicemail" I'd say it takes a long second for the "dialing" screen to appear, but definitely under two seconds. It doesn't seem slow compared to other cell phones.

If I input a number manually on the onscreen keypad, then tap on the "phone" button, the switch to the dialing screen seems a little snappier. Neither behavior strikes me as "slow" though, and I did have a Visorphone before with a Visor Platinum, which was snappier than the Treo. So if it was significantly slower than the VP, I'd notice.

Of course, maybe people think the VP is slow, too.
  12.    #12  
    So it also happens if you manually enter a number, i.e. not using quickdial nor using a number from your "Contacts"? When I click on "Voicemail" I'd say it takes a long second for the "dialing" screen to appear, but definitely under two seconds. It doesn't seem slow compared to other cell phones.

If I input a number manually on the onscreen keypad, then tap on the "phone" button, the switch to the dialing screen seems a little snappier. Neither behavior strikes me as "slow" though, and I did have a Visorphone before with a Visor Platinum, which was snappier than the Treo. So if it was significantly slower than the VP, I'd notice.

Of course, maybe people think the VP is slow, too.
    I owned a VisorPhone for a year, and the VisorPhone was a lot quicker. This Treo 270 I have here is slow in anything dealing with the phone. Even if I manually typed in a number to dial, and hit the dial button, it takes the same long time as other ways to dial.

Same goes for using the jogger switch, it is slow as well.

Stan
    I don't know what to say. I'd have to use it myself to make a direct comparison to mine. Do you have another GSM phone handy to slip your SIM card into? Maybe it's an issue with your carrier taking a long time to handshake?
  14.    #14  
    I don't know what to say. I'd have to use it myself to make a direct comparison to mine. Do you have another GSM phone handy to slip your SIM card into? Maybe it's an issue with your carrier taking a long time to handshake?
    Yeah, it's a lot faster with the VisorPhone. I have my VisorPhone, and it's faster with that unit.

Stan
    The Treo 270 is definitely slower. Maybe you just notice this particular action more than I do. I can try to make a quick vidcap of mine dialing if you are interested. It'd be a quicktime file.
  16.    #16  
    The Treo 270 is definitely slower. Maybe you just notice this particular action more than I do. I can try to make a quick vidcap of mine dialing if you are interested. It'd be a quicktime file.
    I can do the same, but I have to wait till I get home, as my digital camera is at home(that can do avi).

Stan
    Here is a clip of mine. I added some tapping sound FX so you can tell when I tap the screen (I'm not really pummeling the screen).

http://h0030ab16a91f.ne.client2.attb...TreoClip02.mov
    filesize is 134k I believe
  18.    #18  
    Here is a clip of mine. I added some tapping sound FX so you can tell when I tap the screen (I'm not really pummeling the screen).

http://h0030ab16a91f.ne.client2.attb...TreoClip02.mov
    filesize is 134k I believe
    Holy smokes!!!!! That is at least twice as fast as mine! My VisorPhone operates at that speed, but not my Treo 270. I guess I got a piece of crap Treo 270 huh?

Stan
    I am in amazement at the utility of the internet and technology right now (of course, all this is being utilized to demonstrate how another piece of technology is potentially malfunctioning).

Maybe it is your Treo, then.

I am not running any hacks. The only non-app thing I've installed has been ButtonsT. I'm not familiar with the intracies of what is happening during that process, but I would suspect some of it must have to do with the phone's ability to talk with the carrier. I'd want to exhaust the possibility that the carrier might be at fault. When you try it with your Visorphone, did you do it basically right now and with the same SIM card that is currently in your Treo? It seems bizarre that the Treo would have this one bottleneck in terms of its speed.

Although maybe there are more that you are not aware of and have no basis for comparison? Do any shops by you have functioning Treo's? Cool thing about the SIM card is you can slip it in and do some testing in-store.
  20.    #20  
    Unfortunately, it seems like the Treo is at fault. The VisorPhone works quickly like how yours does. Yours take about 1.2 seconds to change screen while mine takes about 2.5 seconds to change screen.

When I first started using the Treo 270, I was wondering, why the heck is mine so damn slow?

I emailed Handspring, I hope they will give me a reply.

Keep in mind that I did these tests both with my unit fully loaded, and after a hard reset.

There are no stores locally that carries the Treo 270, but I may be able to find a store that carries the Treo 180.

Stan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast