1.    #1  
    I have some questions regarding the Handspring Treo 270 and I hope you guys can help.

1. Does the Treo 270 support CONCATENATED SMS (SMS longer than 160 characters, sent as multiple SMS messages but received as one continuous message). This is a standard feature on newer GSM phones now (ALL newer Nokia and Ericsson phones), and very important and useful (especially if you are living in Europe).

2. Is there any software available to enable the Treo to support EMS and MMS (already becoming a standard in Norway).

3. To the people here who have used other GPRS phones (3+1), does this mean that data transfer on the Handspring Treo is slower because it only supports 2+1 GPRS?

I am planning to buy the Handspring Treo 270 in August but after reading some of the reviews and comments from this website and many others I am starting to have second thoughts, and maybe just opt for an Ericsson T68i and Palm m130 with a Bluetooth SD card. Hope you guys can enlighten me a bit! TIA
    Originally posted by swanky
    I have some questions regarding the Handspring Treo 270 and I hope you guys can help.

1. Does the Treo 270 support CONCATENATED SMS (SMS longer than 160 characters, sent as multiple SMS messages but received as one continuous message). This is a standard feature on newer GSM phones now (ALL newer Nokia and Ericsson phones), and very important and useful (especially if you are living in Europe).

2. Is there any software available to enable the Treo to support EMS and MMS (already becoming a standard in Norway).

3. To the people here who have used other GPRS phones (3+1), does this mean that data transfer on the Handspring Treo is slower because it only supports 2+1 GPRS?

1. I have exchanged messages longer than 160 characters with people using a nokia phone. I can receive concatenated long messages, but am told that the long messages I send out appear as separate messages on the Nokia side. This is with a Treo 180, I wonder if the 270 has fixed this "feature".

2. Check out pixer from Electric Pocket.

http://electricpocket.com/products/pixer.html

Don't have an answer for 3 ...

Regards,
    .sha
    [i]
    3. To the people here who have used other GPRS phones (3+1), does this mean that data transfer on the Handspring Treo is slower because it only supports 2+1 GPRS?[/B]
    yes
    I did some research into the whole SMS Concatenation thing when I bought my Treo 180. I was told by HandSpring that the Treo did support concatenation, but that I needed to check with Voicestream (my provider) to see if they supported it.

After talking to several folks, Voicestream customer support finally put me in contact with a tech who told me that they do not support concatenation. If anyone sends me a message that is longer than 160 characters, their servers chop it up and send me only the first 160 characters.

You should probably check with your service provider and see what they are doing with SMS.
    QUESTION 1:

You may want to double check that with Voicestream regarding the concatinated SMS's.

The Nokia 3390 (that Voicestream Clearly supports) has the ability to send extra long SMS's - if the receiver has a phone that will support long messages, they will get one long message, other wise *ANYONE* else will receive broken up messages in 160 character blocks.

Thus, if the Treo supposedly can support long SMS messages, then it should work on the Voicestream network.

QUESTION 2:

No Idea

QUESTION 3:

Yes, 2+1 means it's slower then 3+1
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I also have a Nokia 3390. When I was asking the question of Voicestream originally, that's all I had. I was having an issue receiving long messages from work.

To be sure, I just sent myself another test message. It was 222 characters long (244, if you count the line returns) and I only recieved one message truncated to 160 characters on my Nokia 3390.

One thing this whole SMS issue has taught me is that just because a device supports something, doesn't mean the service provider supports it.
    Last edited by MrMagooAZ; 07/03/2002 at 12:30 AM.
    Where are you sending this message from? If you're sending it from www.voicestream.com/messagecenter then it will not support messages longer then 160.

Try sending a 220 char message to yourself FROM the 3390. You will get one long message

Now, try to send a 220 char message to someone else FROM the 3390 to say a 8290 - the user with the 8290 will get TWO messages - one message filled with 160 char , the other with 60 char (the remainder).

I tested this out and it does work on Voicestream, at least in the Seattle area.
    I think you and I are talking about two different things.

You seem to be referring to sending a message longer than 160 characters from a 3390. I never said anything about sending a message. Nor did the post I was responding to, I think. The 3390 might support this, and I would imagine that breaking long messages up and sending them as separate messages is a software on the device thing as opposed to a service provider thing.

I was talking about RECEIVING a message longer than 160 characters. Can you receieve a message longer than 160 characters on your 3390 over Voicestream? As one message or more than one message? I can't. If anyone sends me anything longer, it truncates it. This happens both on my 3390 as well as my Treo 180.

If you know of some way I can change this, I'm all ears. It's very annoying to have people send me a regular email and not be able to read the whole thing.

Incidentally, I was sending the message from regular old email. The Voicestream website won't let you send anything longer than 128 characters.

Also, the SMS software on my Treo 180 will not let me send a message longer than 140 characters. If I try to, it truncates it and sends only one message. I imagine that there is probably other software out there that might break it up into multiple messages for me, but I have not investigated it. If anyone knows of any good SMS software that will do this, I'd love to hear about it.
    I don't have a 3390 with me to test it out, however, as I recall if you were to SEND a 220 char. message to yourself and RECEIVE it on the 3390, you will receive just ONE message - this is because the Nokia 3390 supports long messages, as well as voicestream.

Since every other phone that I know of (Except probably the Ericsson T39m, T68m, etc...) does NOT support long messages, they will not be able to receive anything longer then 160 char. it will be broken up in to 160 char chunks.
    Well, it doesn't work that way for me. Not with my 3390 on Voicestream in either Phoenix or Birmingham and not with my Treo 180. According to my call with Voicestream, they don't support long messages and truncate at 160 characters on the server.

If you can test yours out, I'd be curious to know if you can indeed recieve longer messages with Voicestream as your carrier. As I was told by them that they don't support this, learning that someone in another locale can would make me very interested in getting on the phone with tech support.

I think my earlier statement still stands. If the carrier does not support the functionality, it doesn't matter if the phone does or not.
    I'll test it out either today or tomorrow - i need to talk to my friend who has the 3390