Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any real world experience with either the Seidio 8 inch $29.95 version or the Landware 3 foot $19.95 version of the USB charge & sync cables? Is there an issue of voltage/current from the USB port and possible damage to the Treo or the computer? Is the recharge time different? Why pay $10 more for a shorter cable?
    I can't answer most of your questions, but recharging from USB takes longer than from the AC adapter.

BTW - I bought a Charge/Hotsync cable from Moonlight-Tech on ebay for $5.99. Works great.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    I second the "Moonlight-Tech" cable, it works just fine...
    I have that cable too. It's great but for some reason you can't use the keys when it's attached to the computer. Very weird (though they said it is a "feature" which I think is complete bogus).
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the tip--I will look for one on eBay. I don't get the disabled keyboard issue--what platform/hardware/OS are you using?
    The reply e-mail:

Yes, it disabled them on purpose. When you are connected to sync it
    would interfere by pressing the buttons.

Thanks,
    Mike

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 2:53 PM
    To: sales@moonlight-tech.com
    Subject: Re: Item Shipped! Item #1356172371 -- Handspring Treo USB
    Hotsync Charge Cable

Hi. Your product seems to work fine except I can't use the buttons on
    my Treo when it's plugged in. It works fine otherwise. How do I fix
    this?

--Kurt
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 03/09/2006 at 08:59 AM.
  7.    #7  
    I understand that when you are in the middle of a HotSync, that the Treo keyboard will be disabled. When I have my Treo plugged into the factory HotSync cable but am NOT synching, I can use the Treo fine. Are you saying that when the Treo is plugged into this USB sync/charge cable, that it is not usable?
    I bet they mistakenly applied voltage to the pin that would normally go to the hotsync button. The treo thinks it's about to sync and therefore disables the keyboard. I would expect that from a homemade foreign product that you buy for $5 on ebay anyway...
    Are you saying that when the Treo is plugged into this USB sync/charge cable, that it is not usable?
    Mostly. The screen still works. The keys don't.
  10.    #10  
    FWIW, I bought one of the Midnight-tech cables last night on eBay, but also e-mailed them and pointed them to this thread. I'm hoping for a good answer on the issue. If indeed the cable is miswired, it is no bargain @ $5.99 when I can get a Landware one for a bit more and be able to return it. Thanks for the heads up--this forum and TreoCentral in general is great!!
    For $7 delivered, I don't really care that it doesn't work perfectly. Of course it would be nice....
    Why would you want to use the keyboard during hotsync? You're not supposed to do anything during hotsync, right?
    Jeff
  13.    #13  
    I think he means that due to miswiring of this cable the Treo thinks that it is HotSynching all the time and thus the keyboard is disabled all of the time (not just during a HotSync). How about a test from some of you listed above who have this Midnight-Tech cable?? Thanks.
    I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. If the cable is plugged in, the keys are dead. HotSync not required.
    (It sucks. )
    --Kurt
    With the Midnight-Tech HotSync/Charge cable connected, I am able to use the keys on my Treo 270 without a problem -- both before and after a HotSync (I'm not trying DURING a sync!).
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    Hm... So either I got a bum cable and they are coverring up, they changed their cable, or the 270 is different from the 180. I doubt the latter, and place the greatest probability on the middle.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Hm... So either I got a bum cable and they are coverring up, they changed their cable, or the 270 is different from the 180. I doubt the latter, and place the greatest probability on the middle.
    I wouldn't necessarily discount the former too readily.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    I bought the cable from lanware and it is not 3 foot long but just over 2 feet! Sent them an email asking for a replacement.. no news so far. Other than that, the cable works fine
    I just tried mu USB Charge/Sync cabel from Moonlight-tech, and the keys work just fine...
    Landware just answered me: We apologize for that error on our website. We only make one USB cable and it is shorter than 3 feet long. We will be changing our website to reflect the correct lenght.

You can ship that one back to us and we will refund your money.

Thanks,
    Elena
    Landware sales
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast