1.    #1  
    I've posted here about the problems with my Treo 270 and had an interesting insight into the source of at least some of the problems tonight and it must be a software problem that is not fixed by a hard reset. Initially the phone stopped working - no signal and wireless mode not working although it showed a service provider. Then the screen went dark and then after leaving it to run down for a few days it apparently wouldn't work at all - blank screen, no charging light. Just on an off-chance I tried a hard reset and lo and behold a just readable dark screen appeared, the charging light came on and even the phone was working again. Attempts much earlier to hard reset to solve the problem didn't work so obviously running the battery flat does an even harder reset and resets whatever was causing the problems other than the screen.

OTOH there is now the worry that if you let the battery run flat it goes dead until you hard reset the unit - and you have to know it will hard reset even though it shows every sign of being competely dead and unchargeable. And if the phone stops working again you need to leave it several days to reset it.

Tony
  2. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Tony,
    It's obvious from your first post that your machine is bust.
    Any complex machine with faulty hardware or software, be it computer, phone, PC, or even car, is going to give different and more complex symptoms every time you try and start it up, if you haven't fixed the original fault.
    Why keep posting details of your futile attempts to resurrect it? If it's bust, it's bust. HS will replace it, no quibbles. Until then it's one machine with one fault. The number of times you turn it on, and the wierd effects you get is irrelevant.
    (My clutch release bearings on my Ford gave out last week. I complained to the garage, so they promised to send me a brand new car. It hasn't arrived yet, but every time I change gear on the old car it squeals louder and louder. Fords suck).
    Of course, if your replacement arrives, and it fails again, we want to know. Until then, chill, cut HS some slack, and save us some noise!
    Last edited by Me2; 06/28/2002 at 07:42 PM.
    You are my hero, Me2! Now about that Ford........

BallCoach
  4.    #4  
    Why keep posting details of your futile attempts to resurrect it? If it's bust, it's bust. HS will replace it, no quibbles. Until then it's one machine with one fault. The number of times you turn it on, and the wierd effects you get is irrelevant.
    I wish HS would replace it. If they did it and in a reasonable timeframe I might have cut them some slack. I was told a week and then when it didn't turn up I was told no, its two weeks for replacement and then when it didn't turn up I was told no it was three weeks for replacement because there is a shortage of stock. I've now been told its escalated and I should have the replacement on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Its not one fault, its three. The phone packed up on day one, the PDA continued to work for another week until the screen packed up. I could continue to use it as a PDA if I got the light angle just right to see the screen and then after another few days it went completely dead. Discharging, recharging and then hard resetting has now taken it back to phone and PDA working but still dark screen.

The purpose of posting is that the more shared information the better the chance of finding out the source of the problem. In this case I thought it was a phone hardware failure but it is clearly a software lockup somewhere.

As for your Ford if it was one day new off the forecourt I think you would be justified in wanting it replaced and not with a three week wait. My Treo lasted one day out the box remember.

But since you have only posted here twice why the newbie lecture - or are you a Handspring stooge trying to do damage limitation?
    Originally posted by Tony_Raven

But since you have only posted here twice why the newbie lecture - or are you a Handspring stooge trying to do damage limitation?
    bad form, tony. you've only got 12 posts to your credit, and they all seem to be complaints.

as for me, you may wonder, i registered with VC years ago, when i got my vdx, and posted freely and often. then i stopped feeling the need to post, so i lurked for a while, only posting every once in a while. perhaps me2 has lurked for a long time, and only chose to register and post when he found it neccessary. perhaps you did too. all i'm saying is 2 posts does not a newbie make.
    exit, pursued by a bear.
  6.    #6  
    bad form, tony. you've only got 12 posts to your credit, and they all seem to be complaints
    Point taken but you must wonder about someone whose posted only two messages, both complaining about complainers

And yes they are all complaints but I spent over $800 with Handspring for a device that worked for one day and has gone two weeks so far without being replaced by HS.
    HS promised my friend a replacement on his dead 270 2 weeks ago too. Tired of the same story, which was a stock issue, he went to the HS site, ordered another unit and it arrived yesterday. He swapped the SIM, called VS, canceled the new plan then called HS and told the support supervisor that he was simply going to return the dead unit.

I guess HS support should just direct user to do that instead of waiting.
    That's a great plan for those people who have an extra few hundred dollars laying around to buy things twice. As for everyone else... I don't think it's too much to ask for some truth from customer service... and a product return apparatus that functions as designed. For my part.. I don't mind waiting.. but tell me I'm going to wait.. don't tell me it's on the way.

Case in point... I was told my replacement was on the way.. It wasn't. I was told the "airborne computer is down and we can't issue the tracking number..." My brother works for airborne, this was a lie (to put it bluntly). 3 days later someone finally admitted it was never sent. Okay.. I was fine with that... at least someone was honest. Then.. they issued the highly regarded and much sought after Airborne tracking number... It must be on the way right? Wrong. Bigger Airborne clients (e.g. HS) have software that issues tracking numbers while the product sits in the warehouse waiting to get picked up by Airborne... This was my case.. I was tracking an non-moving target...

My point is about honesty.. HS is fairly small. They would be better served by better service and up front honesty. This, unfortunately has not been my experience. I'm still waiting to kick the tires on my 270 (the first one lasted exactly 3 minutes - I won't go into details) and I'm patient. I just appreciate honesty.
  9.    #9  
    HS promised my friend a replacement on his dead 270 2 weeks ago too. Tired of the same story, which was a stock issue, he went to the HS site, ordered another unit and it arrived yesterday. He swapped the SIM, called VS, canceled the new plan then called HS and told the support supervisor that he was simply going to return the dead unit.
    The most worrying aspect of his and my experience is it appears Handspring put a higher priority on shipping units to new customers than sorting out the faulty ones they've already sold.

I know they've been losing money hand over fist but their cash reserves aren't that bad that they need to do this.