1.    #1  
    Are things really that bad with the TREOs? I am very SERIOUSLY considering buying one (180 or 270) in the next few days....BUT all of the comments below scare me.

Also, is the 270 really worth the difference in money from the 180?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
    Originally posted by harrisekh
    Are things really that bad with the TREOs? I am very SERIOUSLY considering buying one (180 or 270) in the next few days....BUT all of the comments below scare me.

Also, is the 270 really worth the difference in money from the 180?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
    No problems here! Had my Treo 270 for 2 weeks and no problems whatsoever.

I tried a 180 and the upgrade to the 270 is definitely worth it. Go color you won't regret it.
    i've had my treo 270 for three weeks and haven't ran into any problems either... knock on wood...
    I have had the 270 since june 11th. I love it and it works great (so far)!
    Color is definitely worth it. It's so much easier on the eyes on 180, plus photos, games, and Blazer looks much more impressive in full color. The backlight keyboard is a must, which the 180 lacks.
    Don't be lead astray by anecdotal information and research. I have had my TREO since June 12 and could not be happier. Screen is fine, headset works fine, reception is as good or better than my wife's new Samsung (both on Voicestream), and the battery life is as good as my old Nokia 8260. Oh, it took me about half a day to wonder why the hell anybody would prefer a stylus to a keyboard (and my graffitti is good).

If you have the stomach to sift back through the whining and crying on TreoCentral you will see that it comes from about 6 individuals that should have returned their Treo's long ago, they are so unhappy. Sure, I wish the speakerphone was truly handsfree (and it will be shortly with the pending GPRS patch), and while I doubt it, someday I might fill up the 12 mg of memory that are currently free and wish I had an expansion slot. But the fact is I knew what I was getting. I knew there might be a few bumps along the way, but I knew from previous experience with HS that they would deal with them.

As stated before, BEWARE OF ANNECDOTAL INFORMATION. There are four or five posts in this thread that say their 270's are great! There are four or five chronic complainers that will never be satisfied. The marketplace doesn't know about TreoCentral or any of the other power user boards. Go stand at the PDA counter a CompUSA, Best Buy or Walmart. Watch and listen to the customers and sales clerks. While this is still annecdotal, it is a much better forum for reality than this one.
    Don't be lead astray by anecdotal information and research. I have had my TREO since June 12 and could not be happier. Screen is fine, headset works fine, reception is as good or better than my wife's new Samsung (both on Voicestream), and the battery life is as good as my old Nokia 8260. Oh, it took me about half a day to wonder why the hell anybody would prefer a stylus to a keyboard (and my graffitti is good).
    Yes don't be led astray by Eric's anecdotal information.

If you have the stomach to sift back through the whining and crying on TreoCentral you will see that it comes from about 6 individuals that should have returned their Treo's long ago, they are so unhappy.
    I assume I'm one. I wish I could return it and get a replacement. It worked for one day and over the past two weeks has had system after system collapse until its now totally dead. I'm supposed to be getting a replacement. It was within a week, then within two weeks and I've just been informed that it will now be three weeks (do I believe them?). Current poll here shows 17 units failed and being replaced with 38 working fine after 2 weeks. Wonder how those stats will look after a month.

Go stand at the PDA counter a CompUSA, Best Buy or Walmart. Watch and listen to the customers and sales clerks.
    I'm told three weeks is because there is no stock. Now I know its because they would rather sell new units at CompUSA and get the cash in than fix existing customers problems.

Do you work for Handspring by any chance?
    Well, I had a minor problem and they sent out a replacement within a few days. I think the Treo 270 is definitely worth it. As for the problems with the headset, I've found that if I answer the call by opening the phone rather than pushing the headset button all is fine. It'll be nice when they fix that problem, but until then, the phone is still great.

While we all do seem to be testing these products for them, I guess I don't seem to mind as much as others do. I had four 180 replacements. While that sounds pretty bad, each time they sent out a new one within 2 days. And in the interim (i.e., before they went kaput), they were fine phones.

You could always order one, try it out for a month, and if it has problems, return it before the 30 days is up. Then again, if you have to sign a new phone service contract to get one, keep in mind that you'll be locked in (although I did hear someone who bought through amazon.com say that amazon ensures you can also cancel your phone service contract if you return the Treo within 30 days - perhaps you should check that out).

Regardless, good luck!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Love my Treo 270. I've had it for a little over a week and now I don't know how I did without it before. Sound clarity is excellent and I have had fewer dropped calls on Voicestream than I did on AT&T (better sound quality also). Still need to test it in the mountains to really give it a workout (AT&T drops like every 4-5 minutes in the mountains).

Overall I don't have any complaints. When I purchased the product I did it with my eyes open after seeing some of the issues out here. I haven't had the headset problem because I am aware of it quite honestly and I always answer with the lid up (my car cell holder makes this quite easy). I that don't like the thought of dropped calls with the headset so I just don't answer that way so I am not even sure if I have that problem.

Quality control is apparently an issue although we all SHOULD remember that Handspring doesn't actually MAKE the phones but contracts this out to another company. THAT company is the one at fault and to some degree this is outside Handspring's control. I am sure that they are hammering that company to get them in line now.

The reports I have heard about HS customer support are troublesome but I haven't dealt with them myself. I assume that this small company is just trying to survive and I would put most of this on the manager of the CSRs as not effectively responding to this. Have any of you with problem considered writing a letter to the president of Handspring to make him aware of this (as in one on papyrus)? I know that we all assume he/she knows but sometimes one little letter makes a big difference. Plus for those of you disgruntled this is a great way to officially DOCUMENT your displeasure for future possible actions.

So, my summary is don't be afraid to go for the purchase but do so with your eyes open. Expect to be a little bit on the bleeding edge but overall MOST people are VERY satisfied with their Treos. I am happy I bought mine and while I wish QC was better I don't think that 20% were DOA unlike some people have mentioned. I really think it is more like 1% (if that). The funny thing is you don't see people moaning because they had to take any other consumer product back to Best Buy when they got a bum phone, DVD player, computer, printer, etc.

I'll tell you one story about being on the bleeding edge and then get outa here. Back when DVD first came out (1996/1997) I bought a Toshiba DVD player. Unfortunately in the early days there were disk incompatibilities and odd problems with the players that required you to send back the player and get the ROM updated. Over the course of about 6 months I had to send my player back about 4 times to get a new one. Sometimes it was for a ROM update and a couple of times it was because the player stopped working. I also received a couple DOA units as replacements which was a huge PITA (pain in the a**). However, while I may have moaned to a few people about it I KNEW that it was the cost of being one of the first 10,000 people in North America to have a DVD player. I think we should all keep that in perspective...
    --Denny
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    And beware of those noisemakers who have one faulty Treo but will post every time they switch it on and it fails to work!
    Originally posted by Me2
    And beware of those noisemakers who have one faulty Treo but will post every time they switch it on and it fails to work!
    More like beware of new members that have only made two posts, and they are both rude and picking on another member.

DUDE! Welcome to the boards! It's a great place to make CONSTRUCTIVE REMARKS!

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I'd say go ahead with your purchase! I've had a 180 since it came out (ordered the first night it came out) and I'm very happy. Granted I've had 3 replacements to fix a single problem: device creaked loudly when the left side of the keyboard was used. I finally have a rock-solid unit (no creaks).

Regardless of the creaking, however, I absolutely love the device (I would probably have kept it despite that problem if it wasn't fixable). There is nothing out there that rivals it in functionality, form factor or practicality.

I recommend the 270 because of the superior screen and lit keyboard, but I will personally wait for a couple of months before I get one so that they'll get some of the kinks out (like the creeking cases of the 180). You're always taking a chance when buying one of the first units that come off the assembly line, and I have already done that once. I'm happy enough with the 180 to wait a little more for color. Heck, I could even wait for the next color version after the 270 since the 180 is a great device anyway and it wouldn't hurt to get more out of my money.

Best of luck.
    I guess I'm one of the "Whiners" too...but not because I don't like the 270 - I LOVE it!! I'ts fantastic! I was a Pocket PC devotee for two years until I saw this and I was just blown away!

I'm only whining because my replacement has yet to turn up. As dbasham correctly pointed out, HS aren't phone manufacturers, but they are a PDA manufacturer - I do wonder how they could have got the backlight thing so wrong when they already have experience of producing colour backlit PDA's. That's what's really annoying. If it was a phone related problem, I would cut them more slack.

I would still recommend this unit - and I don't wan't a refund (yet ) because it is THAT good.

Besides, whenever I buy an expensive piece of hardware, I always read up as much as I can beforehand just so I know of any potential pitfalls. Surely these boards are helpful to a potential buyer - or should we just let someone pay 550 for something and snigger to ourselves as they buy something that potentially may fail with a common and well known problem?

Oh well. Another day, another whine out the way....
    Last edited by Gizzer; 06/30/2002 at 02:33 PM.