Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I quote,

"We would appreciate that you not forward, distribute or post this beta version of software anywhere. Thank you."

ap∑pre∑ci∑ate Pronunciation Key (-prsh-t)
    v. ap∑pre∑ci∑at∑ed, ap∑pre∑ci∑at∑ing, ap∑pre∑ci∑ates
    v. tr.
    To recognize the quality, significance, or magnitude of: appreciated their freedom.
    To be fully aware of or sensitive to; realize: I appreciate your problems.
    To be thankful or show gratitude for: I really appreciate your help.
    To admire greatly; value.
    To raise in value or price, especially over time.

v. intr.
    To increase in value or price, especially over time.

Nowhere does it say require, and I don't care to show appreciation at this point.

So the patch is
    HERE

Good luck, and I'm happy you don't have to wait on hold forever to speak with poor customer service.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
  2.    #2  
    I've installed it and it seems to be working great.

Rod

Nice gesture for users distributing the beta, not as nice for HS. I think they were interested in putting out the immediate fire, but tuning and testing a global solution I would guess that is why they asked not to post or distribute thru a source other than them. The code could yet introduce other problems thus is currently in beta status.
    Velo may have done use all a great favor, but an even greater diservice. As George mentions, it is a Beta and it sounds like they wanted to get this out to a much larger and global user base.

I took the chance and it does work great.

Okay, thanks Velo.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Nice gesture for users distributing the beta, not as nice for HS. I think they were interested in putting out the immediate fire, but tuning and testing a global solution I would guess that is why they asked not to post or distribute thru a source other than them. The code could yet introduce other problems thus is currently in beta status.
    George, I respect you, your opinion and position on this. For myself, I thought I was buying a ready to use "Treo" "phone" "convergance device" "PDA" whatever we want to call it. I didn't pay $500.00 to be a beta tester, even worse, a beta tester out in the cold when it comes to competent, polite, expediant and Knowledgeable help. If it is good for one... with no preset qualifications, than why restrict it to many?

Fact is, HS put out a product that was not ready. Granted, maybe they had to do so for the sake of survival, but they sure didn't mention it or warn anybody or give any pats on the back for putting up with it.

I have had many Nokia products and NEVER have I had to download patches, put up with bugs or send it in or wait for a replacement. It got really old with the 180... all 4 of them! I guess I was blinded by the desire for the color model to stick with the brand, hoping they would have their homework done before the 270 would be released.

It is still the best product available on the market at this time, it just was never ready to BE ON the market yet.

They might come out with the 360 with 16 bit, bluetooth, SD, 64mg, OS5 and an ARM400Mz AND I might even buy one if I cannot find a better buy but I'll still be unsatisfied, like I am now, if it hits the streets not ready for prime time.

I feel like the chump that bought 2 Packard Bell computers because they were so cheap on sale, oh wait, I AM that chump! The computers are long gone (Thank GOD!) and so is the company.

I hate to say it, but I'm begining to have my doubts about HS.

Rod

Wow Velo, sounds like you really hate HS now. Other than the headset issue, were there any issues with the device? Let's leave customer support out of this. I'm more interested in the hardware.
    Thanks Velo, Just got off the phone with Handspring, they were suppose to have shipped my replacement but didn't. I guess they were waiting for the patch to be finish. But when I ask about the patch the CSR guy said never heard of such a problem, no such patch is available! Man... their CSR is polite I must say. But one guy I spoke to today sounded drunk or high now something. Anyway thanks Velo, I understand your frustration as I didn't pay to be a beta test either...
    Originally posted by drknucklehead
    Wow Velo, sounds like you really hate HS now. Other than the headset issue, were there any issues with the device? Let's leave customer support out of this. I'm more interested in the hardware.
    There is a huge batch of people having problems with blank screens. Seems like quality control got out of hand.

I too, did not intentionally pay $500 to be a beta tester for Handspring. When they send these stuff out to the mainstream public, wouldn't you expect the unit to work 100% and not 80%?

Handspring should advertise on their website "please expect to hang up parties with your headset button and an occasional blank screen."

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by drknucklehead
    I'm fed up, that seems to be the only way I can describe it. I spent an hour on the phone today and an hour with the first time I called about this issue. I had THREE 180's replaced and MANY hours on the phone for those.

This is not meant to sound the way I'm afraid it will BUT, I own a Bicycle store and I have calculated that the store grosses about $100.00 more per hour when I am there available on the floor. Customers love dealing with the owner and many regulars have come to expect it. When I think of how many HOURS HS has wasted it gets me a little worked up.

Frankly, if I had ANY employees that were as clueless as the average 1st tier HS CSR... well, heads would be rolling.

I'm just fed up, grumpy and tired of running around trying to keep something working that is supposed to be SAVING ME TIME.

I'll stop after this,

What if this were a hardware issue and some poor schmuck that had never even heard of TreoCentral AND didn't notice the problem until three months down the line? HS CSR's love to say you are going to have to pay for frieght because it older than thirty days. OH WAIT! was that a FEW months down the line? they would make him pay for the support call since it is past ninety days.

OK... that is enough for one day (I hope) my wife thinks I was done venting an hour ago

Rod

Thank you so much Velo. I think that fixed it

I couldn't be happier!

Joshua
    It fixed mine as well. However, I did call Handspring early today, and they said it will take 24hrs for me to receive the patch/update.

I still did not get the patch myself, so I downloaded it from Velo.

So far so good, we'll see with the test of time.

Thank you!

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Originally posted by vmah
    Man... their CSR is polite I must say. But one guy I spoke to today sounded drunk or high now something.
    Ah. So when I called to RMA my 270 it wasn't just my imagination...
    Installed the patch and it seems to have worked - time will tell!!

Thanks for distributing it. I think I'm going to call HS support and ask them if they have a solution yet. I'm not going to cancel my replacement unit just yet (which still hasn't come BTW).

I agree with Rod and Stan on this one. I didn't even pay $500 - I paid £549 which is about $823!! So I don't expect to beta test.

I'm a software developer, so I realize that bugs do get through occasionally. And on a device this complex it's going to happen.

But I think they way they are dealing with the problem is wrong - they need to admit the problem to everyone who phones with it and say they are working on a patch. Not give us all a different story. If I knew they were working on a patch, I'd wait for it and be reasonably happy to wait.

Plus, I'm still pissed off by the rude HS support guy I talked to last week...
    Installed the patch and it seems to have worked - time will tell!!

Thanks for distributing it. I think I'm going to call HS support and ask them if they have a solution yet. I'm not going to cancel my replacement unit just yet (which still hasn't come BTW).

I agree with Rod and Stan on this one. I didn't even pay $500 - I paid £549 which is about $823!! So I don't expect to beta test.

I'm a software developer, so I realize that bugs do get through occasionally. And on a device this complex it's going to happen.

But I think they way they are dealing with the problem is wrong - they need to admit the problem to everyone who phones with it and say they are working on a patch. Not give us all a different story. If I knew they were working on a patch, I'd wait for it and be reasonably happy to wait.

Plus, I'm still pissed off by the rude HS support guy I talked to last week...
    I understand the disappointment in buying something and it doesn't work (I just bought a motherboard and cpu that I can't install xP or 98 on). But, early adopters are beta testers.

No way Handspring or any company could test their products under all posible conditions.

I didn't read one review or pre-review that mention the hangup problem.

So now there seems to be a patch, that hopefully solves this problem for all of you. I only use the handsfree option one in the 2 1/2 weeks I had the phone so it was never a problem for me.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Rod you're the best.

Thanks to Rod for allowing us access to this fix. Thanks to Handspring for producing a fix (even though they haven't actually acknowledged the problem in public).

Anyway, I appreciate it.

Rob

once again
    I have to admit, HS didn't handle this very well, however the number of people who have posted regarding this issue versus the installed user base may be something in the order of less then one hundredth of a percentage point. Those affected by this issue are a very small but rather vocal number. It's good to hear that the patch is working. It worked for me too.
    Last edited by drknucklehead; 06/28/2002 at 09:47 AM.
    The patch also seemed to make the buzz in the handsfree adapter go away -- anyone else notice this?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    at least we can all breathe a sigh of relief to know this actually is a software problem and not hardware (as most of us suspected). Now if they can just fix the echo problem, we'll be set.
    Originally posted by Felipe

No way Handspring or any company could test their products under all posible conditions.
    R U KIDDING ME? Something as simple as testing phone calls on a headset is a VERY POSSIBLE condition, in fact a basic one. HS IS JUST LAZY or some moron is in charge of QA.

I am so far very dissapointed in HS and their handling of the 270 launch. A buddy of mine has had twice as many issues with his including waiting for a replacement over a week. He finally ordered a new one Wednesday and it arrived today. Funny thing is, HS support doesn't know when his replacement will ship and that came from a supervisor in the support department.

3 Headsets later and a Beta patch and I still have other bugs that cause multi-party calls to drop or not work at all, I also get "Invalid DataChunk" messages when some calls come in and I to soft reset to recover. And I am still using the virgin apps with the now included beta patch.

Give me a break, this thing is almost a $500 paperweight. BTW, I only get about 2 hours battery life between phone and usage and I may only spend 45 minutes a day on the phone.

Arggggggg, and cut the crap with the early adopter stuff. When you mark something 1.0, then it better be release quality!!!!!!

Bent in Arizona,
    Gary
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast