Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Do T180 users need the patch?? Does this glitch affect the T180, or only the T270?? Personally, I have had a T180 for about 6 weeks and have not had a headset problem (using either HS headset or a virtually identical Nokia one).
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    But, early adopters are beta testers.
    Then they should say so don't you think? PLUS they should communicate (better) when there ARE beta problems.

No way Handspring or any company could test their products under all posible conditions.
    I have never bought a Sony Or Nokia or Samsung that has gone through ANY of the issues the 180's or 270's have.

So now there seems to be a patch, that hopefully solves this problem for all of you.
    Gotta agree with you, I also hope this will be the LAST problem and all of this is forgoten a few months from now.

Rod
    Last edited by Veloslave; 06/28/2002 at 02:18 PM.
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Veloslave,

Sorry to hear about your continued frustrations. I'm kinda bummed about any problems with a new product. I agree, released products are not betas.

But I had to smile at the irony of your signature quote.

You would think Handspring would've ironed out the bugs with the release of the Treo 180. Aren't the headsets the same??? Forking out $500 for something like that, you'd expect a little more. Some individuals in Europe forked out $825USD for this unit, I would expect it to work 99.9% and not 80%.

Sorry, just depositing my $0.02 here again.

Stan

Originally posted by Felipe
    I understand the disappointment in buying something and it doesn't work (I just bought a motherboard and cpu that I can't install xP or 98 on). But, early adopters are beta testers.

No way Handspring or any company could test their products under all posible conditions.

I didn't read one review or pre-review that mention the hangup problem.

So now there seems to be a patch, that hopefully solves this problem for all of you. I only use the handsfree option one in the 2 1/2 weeks I had the phone so it was never a problem for me.
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    As a small point of consolation, one of the nice features of the Treo series (and future phones like them) is even if there is an unacceptable software "feature," they are readily updated by the phones' users through the installation of a relatively simple patch.

Try THAT with a typical phone - generally you wait for the manufacturer to build a new flash version, have them test it, send it to the service provider, more testing, etc. Then, if you're really lucky, you find out about the new flash version, take your phone to the nearest "convenient" retail outlet for your provider, and drop your phone off for a few days while they flash it.

Handheld-based phones certainly have an advantage over THAT dinosaur of a process.

Kupe
    Originally posted by Kupe
    As a small point of consolation, one of the nice features of the Treo series (and future phones like them) is even if there is an unacceptable software "feature," they are readily updated by the phones' users through the installation of a relatively simple patch.

Try THAT with a typical phone - generally you wait for the manufacturer to build a new flash version, have them test it, send it to the service provider, more testing, etc. Then, if you're really lucky, you find out about the new flash version, take your phone to the nearest "convenient" retail outlet for your provider, and drop your phone off for a few days while they flash it.

Handheld-based phones certainly have an advantage over THAT dinosaur of a process.

Kupe
    And after all that -- you didn't mention that you have to pay for those "Flash updates" unless you know someone in the business.
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by AdamK
    Veloslave,

But I had to smile at the irony of your signature quote.

Yeah, that is pretty funny!

I just wish they would use enough class/sense to say

"Oops! We're sorry. Please hang in there a solution is coming"

I would be the first to say "forgiven"

Just looks like that is not going to happen. I'm begining to think that HS is all Engineer and no Marketeer. No big, time to move on.

Thanks for the Laugh!

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I thought I was buying a ready to use "Treo" "phone" "convergance device" "PDA" whatever we want to call it. I didn't pay $500.00 to be a beta tester, even worse, a beta tester out in the cold when it comes to competent, polite, expediant and Knowledgeable help. If it is good for one... with no preset qualifications, than why restrict it to many?
    Welcome to the club. I've heard the same comments from owners of Compaq, HP, Palm, URThere and other PDAs. HS is not alone in releasing new devices with unexpected problems.

Unfortunately its just not possible to test every situation and catch every single problem.
    Originally posted by dleclair
    And after all that -- you didn't mention that you have to pay for those "Flash updates" unless you know someone in the business.
    I've had two phones flashed by Verizon in the last 2 years - never been charged a penny for it. Are some providers charging customers to fix the inferior phones the customers already purchased?

Kupe
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dleclair

Sounds like you need to change your cellphone dealer!

Nokia 6210 - Updated free at local service centre
    Ericsson R520 - Updated free at local service centre
    Siemens S45 - Updated from free download from Siemens web site.
    The Treo problems appear to be QC problems. It is highly doubtful that Handspring (or any other company for that matter)would release a beta product to market. Think about the all money they are losing replacing the problem units?
    Another thing is that no company is going to admit that there unit has a specific problem unless they have to. This is why we are not getting straight answers from CS. It is much better for the company to keep things under wraps and deal with the problems as fast as they can. Think of the bad publicity that Handspring would get if they come straight out and say that "a batch of our units have backlight problems" or something like that. Think about what it would do to their already battered stock price. At least on boards such as TC and TreoMB the problem can be contained since only a tiny fraction of their customers actually visit these sites.
    Any thoughts on how to remove patch from my 270. Delete and Filez won't work and I think it's now not allowing me to answer the phone with the headset at all.

al
    Originally posted by alawiscious
    Any thoughts on how to remove patch from my 270. Delete and Filez won't work and I think it's now not allowing me to answer the phone with the headset at all.

al
    I don't know if you can remove the patch or not. I did several hard resets on my Treo 270(trying to fight another problem) and the headset patch appears to be on all the time.

You may have to contact Handspring tech support.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Stan,

I think what happens is each time you Sync you device, the patch is restored. You may need to go into your backup directory and delete it so it doesn't get resored. You can always add it again provided you have the patch residing somewhere else.
    Originally posted by ShockSLL

Do a soft reset while holding down the scroll up button. This will disable some system stuff. Now you should be able to delete the PhoneHalLib.prc. Be sure to do a normal soft reset after you deleted it.
    Check out my post on http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=24397
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by alawiscious

al
    I use Filez and I haven't had any conflicts with it and the headset patch. There may be something else you need to look at concerning your problem.

Rob

Oh, Shock's info on removing the patch should work.
    Completely new to this...

How do I download the patch and how do I install it?

Thanks...
    What is a transistor?
    If you have a Treo 270 with the headset handgup problems, contact Handspring to get the patch. You can finc contact information at handspring.com.
    I have installed the patch and it works like a charm.

So far, my Treo 270 is working very well. No problem or whatsoever. Good and stable machine.
  20. kin
    I've read all the notes in this thread and can't figure out what the problem is? Everyone refers to "the problem" but is doesn't say what it is! Something to do with dropped calls? I have difficulty with loud data like noises when using the headset not with dropped calls. Will this patch solve this problem?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast