1.    #1  
    What other apps should I avoid installing on the 270 (i.e. have been known to cause problems with the 270 in particular)?

I just got the 270 (still being charged), and I'd like to avoid any potential problems with 3rd party software.

While we are at it, what are the must haves, and safe, apps for the Treo 270 (other than those already in the unit)?

I used to have the 180, and it ran buttons-t and matreo with no problem.

Thanks in advance for your time and any response.
    ======================
    Any other Indonesian Treo users out there?
    Originally posted by IndoTreo
    What other apps should I avoid installing on the 270 (i.e. have been known to cause problems with the 270 in particular)?
    What problems has MaTreo supposedly caused on the 270? This is the first I've heard of such problems and I've been using MaTreo on my 270 for about a month.

About the only thing I've noticed about the 270 is that Popnote doesn't play well with BibleReader on it. Popnote causes the 270 to crash when it is closed after being opened from within BibleReader. Otherwise, I'm not really aware of many software problems with the 270.
    What problems with MaTreo? The only problem I have with it is it doesn't offer any color options. It just sits there running as a greyscale app.

Personally, I've installed a lot of stuff on my T270. I'm down to 2MB free.

Here are most of the apps I have installed and running today:

Buttons-T and ColorTheme in Preferences, BackdropGC (unregistered version to see if I like it), TGSSH, ptelnet, Yanoff, Eudora, Action Names (evaluating) Avantgo, Bejeweled, BigClock, Backgammon, SolFree, Classic Pegs, FireViewer, Handyshopper, HoHo, iSilo, Jedi, Yoda, LauncherIII (evaluating), OmniRemote, MaTreo, t-blaster, SplashPhoto, StaBu, ThinkDB2, TreoTools

I had HS Photo program installed without problems but I like SplashPhoto better so HS Photo got the boot last night. Action Names and Launch III are probably going to be kicked off soon since they don't provide any functionality that I want or need.
    I like using NetConnectDA, a desk accessory, to easily connect and disconnect from my ISP, but it crashes my Treo 270 when I use it in certain programs: Phone, Blazer, SMS and the Palm Applications page.

My guess is that it's not compatible with the programs stored in ROM, although I'm not exactly sure which those are. I don't have any trouble in Eudora, Eudora Web, Launch 'Em or any other programs I've tried. It even works in DateBook. Strangely, it crashes when I'm in Contacts (which is now part of the Phone program) but not when I use the old Address program I transferred from my Visor DLX (I preferred the old interface), even though they both use the same database.

Other than that, I haven't had many problems transferring programs. Pop!, a hack, behaves strangely but I don't really need it anymore with the keyboard. That's about it.
  5.    #5  
    I'd like to apologize first to MaTreo's developer. I had read somewhere that hacks might caused problems with the 270, and, that MaTreo is a 'hack.'

I guess my questions was supposed to be: are 'hacks' bad for the 270? Which ones?

I've been running MaTreo on my 270 with no problem. Other than the Screen going blank when I tired to run an old Clubphoto app, the 270 has been OK too.

Thanks again to all.
    ======================
    Any other Indonesian Treo users out there?
    Originally posted by IndoTreo
    I'd like to apologize first to MaTreo's developer. I had read somewhere that hacks might caused problems with the 270, and, that MaTreo is a 'hack.'

I guess my questions was supposed to be: are 'hacks' bad for the 270? Which ones?

I've been running MaTreo on my 270 with no problem. Other than the Screen going blank when I tired to run an old Clubphoto app, the 270 has been OK too.
    First of all, MaTreo is not a "hack." It is a regular PalmOS application that is designed specifically for Treos. It displays an elegant looking clock, fuel gauge, together with the date and signal strength of your Treo.

Hacks are extensions that intercept certain system calls and replace them with their own. Hacks are require a hack manager, like X-Master, to work and change the way the PalmOS behaves on your machine.

McPling for example, is a hack that pops up a list of recently used applications and returns to the last application you were in with the right keyboard command. Other examples include: NoLinesHack which removes the lines from fields in PalmOS applications; Scroll Bar Hack which changes the appearance of the scroll bars in most PalmOS applications, giving them a pleasant gray color; Font Hack 123 which allows you to assign custom fonts to all your applications; Log Data Calls which records data calls in your call history; and Switcheroo which allows you to launch applications by typing in letters. These are "good" hacks in that I can run them on my Treo 270 without any problems.

It will take a while to sort out the "bad" hacks for the Treo 270 since it is a relatively new model. Overclocking hacks like AfterBurner could be problem because they might interfere with the phone part of the 270 but I haven't had a chance to check check it out personally to make sure. A lot of hacks depend on swipes across a PalmOS machine's Graffiti area and are useless on the 270 since it doesn't have a Graffiti area.