Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    OK folks, it's time to quiet those who have criticized the Treo 270 (and the Treo 90) for not having Graffiti. There is now a freeware app that will turn the whole screen into a graffiti pad.

Get if Here >>

Enjoy!

P.S. It looks like it won't do numbers, but useful nonetheless!
    Last edited by jeeter; 06/26/2002 at 12:28 PM.
    Very cool application! And freeware.
    <ignore - I tried to delete, but the system wouldn't let me>
    Last edited by UniPalmer; 06/26/2002 at 02:05 PM.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Do you know if it is truly Graffiti that can support G hack?
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by NetMetro
    Do you know if it is truly Graffiti that can support G hack?
    What is G hack?

I'll go out on a limb and say that it's worth trying. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Graffiti support is still there on a Treo, just no Graffiti area.
    I use RecoEcho and was about to download this utility when I saw the says that you can't use it to enter numbers on a PalmOS 3.5 machine. RecoEcho suffers from a similar problem, it allows you to enter numbers until the first time you use the Shift key and then only enters letters. Anyway, can anyone who has used both these programs provide a comment on their relative quality?
    Would using the pen input disable the keyboard? Has anyone try Jot?
    I use RecoEcho and was about to download this utility when I saw the says that you can't use it to enter numbers on a PalmOS 3.5 machine
    I thought this had been fixed in v0.8 (a new version comes out about every 20 minutes), but sadly, I can not get it to produce numbers on my Treo 270. Once it does, this will be the best of both worlds!

It was kinda cool doing the graffiti command stroke and seeing the command bar appear at the bottom of the screen! It's much prettier than the menus.

I haven't used RecoEcho on the 270.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what this thread is about. In any event, I had Jot on my 180 and transferred it to my 270. I can write on the screen for both letters and numbers, and use the keyboard intermittently while writing on the screen as well.
    a new version comes out about every 20 minutes
    newpen 0.9 is out!
    See!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    I tried it, it's pretty nice. But it still hasn't fixed the problem of not being able to write both numbers and letters. At least it hasn't for me. I went back to RecoEcho. It doesn't need to be activated from within an application the way Newpen does (actually this is a pretty good feature but I would prefer to be able to check off the application where Newpen is always on or off the way I can with TextPlus).

Overall, I think that RecoEcho allows me to handle text better than Newpen but I'm definately going to try version 1.0 when it comes out.
    i am using newpen and have to say its very nice but this "drow stroke" (v 0.9) does not work it never shows what i am entering (not like the Sony Clie nr70v does) But it takes my commands right so for me it works! And thatīs what we want isnīt it?

cu orangebutton
    Slower than my NR70 was but i love my Treo 270......
    Jot works perfectly for me.
    Is anybody getting NewPen to write numbers on the 270 yet? I just tried the latest version -- v 0.92 -- and I still can't get numbers. The documentation claims this was fixed.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    Originally posted by UniPalmer
    Is anybody getting NewPen to write numbers on the 270 yet? I just tried the latest version -- v 0.92 -- and I still can't get numbers. The documentation claims this was fixed.
    NewPen is writing numbers for me as of version 0.92.

One thing that still bothers me about NewPen is that having to activate it after it has been already enabled is kind of annoying. Because NewPen interprets any tap on the screen as the beginning of a stroke, if I want a to move the cursor by tapping on the screen, I have to deactivate NewPen to do so. There is no way to quickly reactivate -- tapping on the screen for two seconds isn't quick.

It's interesting to note that when NewPen is active, a small box appears in the lower right hand corner. This box can also be used to deactivate NewPen. Now if I that little box were always present while NewPen is enabled, it would be a snap to activate and deactivate NewPen quickly. The box could consist of dotted lines when NewPen is deactivated. I could tap on the box to activate NewPen and the box is made of solid lines.

If NewPen could do this, it would be the best on screen Graffiti system bar none!

(The author of ScreenWrite pulled it from the market before I could try it. Talk about a bad sense of timing -- you pull your product as soon a device that makes it practically indispenable for some users. So I'll never get a chance to try it and compare it to NewPen or RecoEcho.)
    Originally posted by UniPalmer
    not working for me either. from what i gather, it's working fine on the 180. (it seems the satisfied users are 180 owners, and it seems only 270 owners are without number-writing capability...) what's strange to me is that there would be a difference at all. hmmm.
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

It's interesting to note that when NewPen is active, a small box appears in the lower right hand corner. This box can also be used to deactivate NewPen. Now if I that little box were always present while NewPen is enabled, it would be a snap to activate and deactivate NewPen quickly. The box could consist of dotted lines when NewPen is deactivated. I could tap on the box to activate NewPen and the box is made of solid lines.
    Well I just tried NewPen for the first time and that feature has been added in version 0.9.3. I like NewPen. Although I just realized how many mistakes I make using graffitti (sp.). I'm not really sure I need graffitti anymore but I do like the command bar support with NewPen.

Later,
    Rob

P.S. On my 270, numbers work fine. You have to use the right side of the screen for numbers and the left side for letters. . . Just like with Silk Screened Graffiti area.
    Newpen 0.9.3 allows the 270 to write #'s, but I can't get the Command Bar Support to show anything in memo or appoinments command bar. Where are the commands (yes, I have it activated in the NewPen icon). Also there is no graffiti cheat sheet on the Treo or in the NewPen .prc. Some extra symbols are tough to remember, like "# or &".
    You can get Graffiti cheat program for free here: http://www.electronhut.com/ghelp/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast