Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi...

Just posted a significant new beta of Ringo 3, which offers personalised ringtones and caller graphics to Treo users...

Highlights of the new beta release are:
    * Production icon set now included
    * Images automatically cropped to fit into correct space
    * Supports greyscale/16-bit icons and pictures (see note below)

* Fixed: Category name corruption and ordering
    * Fixed: Tempo now saved when composing
    * Fixed: Delete handle crash when exiting compose screen

The only outstanding fix is the reported lid open/shut crash, but I have never seen this, and have very little info on it - if you get it, please email me (iain@electricpocket.com). Likewise any other bugs!

One new 'power user' feature - if you use a tool like Screen Prefs you can use greyscale/16-bit graphics and photos. Ringo respects the screen depth of the Treo, and shows the best image it can.

Also, I should tell people here that Ringo supports TreoCentral ringtones - I dunno if thats obvious or not, but they are perfectly compatible!

I _hope_ this is almost ready for commercial release now... I always get so nervous when I post these new beta announcements though

Cheers,
    Iain
    Did you fix the No Caller ID crash?
    My Treo would crash and require a pin reset (on screen reset button didn't respond) whenever I got a call from my wife while she was at work. Her work apparently blocks her caller ID, so when she calls, my Treo shows "No Caller ID." This seems to confuse Ringo3, and is the only reason I stopped using it. I'd love to try it again, but not if I'm going to have to pin my Treo every time my wife calls (forcing her into voicemail).

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Is there a way for you to add the ability to be able to tak an existing Ringtone or midi file and edit it? I think this would be of great use specially if one could edit the ringtone and somehow make it louder since the Treo ringer sound volume is quite low. Due to this problem I personally am stuck on using only one particular ringtone since only that one I find loud enough, with the others I end up missing the call. The vibrate feature on the Treo is not very great either except when it is in my hands the phone might as well not vibrate.
    Mr. HoHo advocate is here to lend a hand!

I still prefer HoHo for managing my ringtones, and it has a pretty decent ringtone editor. Be sure to install the program plug ins that come with it, in this case you'll need the midi manager and the midi import plug ins. Using HoHo, select the midi database you want to manage, and go to the Midi Manager. If it's not showing the list of ringtones you want to edit, go to the menu and choose one of the other databases. Highlight the ringtone you want to edit (to make it louder) and tap the Import button. HoHo will ask you if you want to change the octave or the note length. It's probably best to stick with whatever is already selected. Chances are the tune will sound slightly different anyway because of the way HoHo has to reformat it to fit with its editing format. Anyway, tap the Start button to hear what it's like. chances are it's still too quiet. Crank the volume slider all the way up, and it's still probably too quiet. It's quiet because whoever made the ringtone didn't make each note play at full volume.
    In the HoHo editing format, the each group of text is a single note that indicates the note, volume, and length of the note. The first number is the volume. If it's not 127, then it's not at full volume. Hopefully, all the notes are of the same volume, though, and you can use the Replace function in the Edit menu. Tell it to replace the low number with 127. If some notes are still quiet, you'll need to go find what number to replace, and do it again, until all the notes are being played at full volume (127).
    Tweak the octave and speed until it sounds good, and then Convert it back to a MIDI Alarm (convert menu). Give it a new name so you can tell it apart from the other one (giving it the same name will just give you a duplicate in the list, but they go to the end of the list by default, so you can always delete the old one and move the new one back to where you want it in the list). Be sure to play your new alarm from the Midi Manager before you call it quits. I've found that after conversion, sometimes a tune will play a little slower or faster than it did in the editor. I think it's because of the note length, and speed settings going through the conversion to standard MIDI, but who knows.
    While this might seem pretty complicated just from reading through my description, it's really not that big of a deal. It's just importing, editing, and saving. And it's a WHOLE lot easier than the other alternative, AlarmMaster, which is a ***** to edit long tunes, and can crash with tunes not created by AlarmMaster itself.

Hope that helps.
    -Greg
    Thanks Gregbaub. Will install HoHo and try it.
    By the way, the new Beta of Ringo3 appears to fix the crash I was having with calls from caller ID blocked calls (my wife). The grayscale image dithering problem I mentioned in a previous thread is gone as well, but that might be a factor of setting the default screen color depth to 4bits (using Toggle). After I set the bit depth to 4, I could select from the grayscale images in Ringo, and the look just fine when a call comes in.

Thanks!
    -Greg
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Hey Greg, how safe is Ringo? I care more about pictures than ringtones, but I really don't like installing apps that interfere with the main operations of the treo, like the phone. Is ringo a hack, or a regular application? Is it clean or does it scatter installation files everywhere? Is it easy to remove?

I like the way ringo looks better than treopicturecallerid (or whatever it's called). I'd rather have a small picture with the default "thumb-sized" buttons than a full-screen pic with tiny stylus buttons. ringo just looks cleaner, like it belongs with the treo.

- Matt

PS - also, why does it require ScreenPrefs to display 16-bit color?
  8.    #8  
    ...how safe is Ringo? I care more about pictures than ringtones, but I really don't like installing apps that interfere with the main operations of the treo, like the phone. Is ringo a hack, or a regular application? Is it clean or does it scatter installation files everywhere? Is it easy to remove?
    99% of the time Ringo is a normal application, but when the phone rings it becomes a "hack" (in that it traps an OS call and does its own work too) - this is how it manages to change the tone and add the picture. Once the call is answered or ignored the "hack" is removed and all is normal again.

The goal, of course, is to get this to work seamlessly so that there is no danger to incoming calls, and the current beta is just about there (from what I have heard, anyway!).

Ringo creates a few databases along the way, but these will be deleted if you delete the application. The exception to this is any picture databases that you use, as they actually 'belong' to another application.

PS - also, why does it require ScreenPrefs to display 16-bit color?
    This is required because the Treo needs to be in 16-bit mode to display photos well, but switching in and out of 16-bit mode while the call dialog is displayed is a bit dodgy, and can mess up the app that was running when the call came in. By using ScreenPrefs you are setting the Treo to always run in 16-bit mode, avoiding this issue. I could roll the ScreenPrefs functionality into Ringo, so that Ringo forces the Treo to 16-bit mode and leaves it there. I'm still working out the implications of this, and whether it is a 'good thing' or not. Would welcome the thoughts of folks here on that...

Finally, this seems a good place to mention the new Ringo 3B6 version, which now lets you show full-sized (160x160) photos on the call display if you want to. I'm not overkeen on this, as the buttons get a bit messed up - but heck, you're the customers! You can (of course) continue to use small pictures and icons.
    This beta is at electricpocket.com/ringo3.zip

Hope this helps,
    Iain
    Ringo Author
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Hi Iain, thanks for the info! I may give ringo a whirl this weekend. I'm going to register SplashPhoto as well, so I'm glad to hear ringo works with those images.

>I could roll the ScreenPrefs functionality into Ringo, so that Ringo forces the Treo to 16-bit mode and leaves it there.

I would love to see this. I didn't realize the Treo's native color mode was 8-bit.

However - would running in 16-bit all the time slow it down at all, or eat up the battery faster?

- Matt
    Originally posted by iainb

99% of the time Ringo is a normal application, but when the phone rings it becomes a "hack" (in that it traps an OS call and does its own work too) - this is how it manages to change the tone and add the picture. Once the call is answered or ignored the "hack" is removed and all is normal again.
    Ouch...TC Ringer uses 0 hacks. While I can sort of understand that Ringo needs to use a hack for adding the picture, it definitely does not need to use one for the sound (actually there are other ways to handle the picture that wouldn't require hacks).
    Well, isn't it more accurate to say that YES, Ringo3 patches a system call or two. It's always "installed" by virtue of the fact that Ringo does make those patches, and it IS in RAM. you can't turn off Ringo's ability to patch those calls without deleting the program.
    But, yes, that's all it does. It shouldn't interfere with any other programs... but don't install other programs that patch the incoming call system functions and expect them to happily co-exist. I.E. don't install Ringo3 and TreoPictureCallerID (or TC Ringer, I'm guessing).

This is required because the Treo needs to be in 16-bit mode to display photos well, but switching in and out of 16-bit mode while the call dialog is displayed is a bit dodgy, and can mess up the app that was running when the call came in. By using ScreenPrefs you are setting the Treo to always run in 16-bit mode, avoiding this issue. I could roll the ScreenPrefs functionality into Ringo, so that Ringo forces the Treo to 16-bit mode and leaves it there. I'm still working out the implications of this, and whether it is a 'good thing' or not. Would welcome the thoughts of folks here on that...
    In the past, this was not a good idea because of certain hardware not acting well with 4bit grayscale (like the IIIx, I think). But, since this program is only meant for the Treo, or at the most, other smartphones, there's much less fear of adverse effects on the display by switching the default depth to 4bit grays on the 180. I'm not sure if the 270 CAN be switched to 16bit color, but I don't think that's an issue as much as making sure the 180 is at 4bit.

There's the possibility of some programs not working well at 4bits, but I haven't seen one where the problem was screen depth as opposed to hardware limitations (IIIx again). Most of the time, when a program "supports" grayscale, it means they set the bit depth themselves when you run the program.

What about slapping in a preference for "set system screen depth to: 1bit, 2bit, 4bit, 8bit, 12bit, 16bit" (in a pull down list of course) with a default to the proper depth of the device in use (4bit for the 180, and whatever else for the 270). That way, if people don't use the picture part, and prefer not to meddle with the screen depth, they aren't forced to, but people who DO want good looking pics, and aren't worried about old software that *might* not like higher screen depth, can turn it on without having to track down, download, install, and use some other app (Toggle is the only free one I know of).

-Greg
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Hi Iain,

I'm sitting here messing around with Ringo 3B6, and it's a lot of fun except for one thing - There is a major lag while the picture loads during an incoming call. I made a few 8-bit pics in splashphoto, and the bigger the picture, the longer the lag. What's worse, ringo seems to be reloading the picture after each ring - not just the first. On my biggest picture (full 160x160) there was almost 4 seconds between each ring.

Has Ringo always been like this, or is this problem unique to 3B6?

- Matt
    On Ringo 3b6, I've deleted a category in my address book. But now when I go to ringo it says there are two Unknown Numbers categories. What do I need to do to get Ringo to refresh the category list. Also, is there a way to have ringo save the picture/ringtone information even after I make changes to the categories? I've noticed that if I make a change to the categories then all my category settings in ringo are reset. Thanks. Great software, I LOVE IT.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    I'm using Ringo 3b6. When my Treo 270 is set to silent mode, alarms and SMS messages cause some artifacts of pictures from the Picture ID feature to appear. So far, it hasn't crashed anything yet, but I'm worried that something is not being handled properly or completely in regards to silent mode tones.

Anyway, I love the program and I can't wait until the finalized version is released. The easier implementation of group ringtones is terrific!

Thanks,
    Rob
    I've been using 3b5 and now 3b6 since the updates came out. Here are some issues I've had, although I'm not sure they're all due to Ringo:

1. I have a pic. that ends right where the "Open Lid" or "Press Scrolll.." buttons are. The Icon for "Open Lid" get's partially covered by the picture while the "Press Scroll..." Icon is intact. It would look much better to keep both the Icon's intact.

2. It seems that upon installation and adding a few links to numbers, the pics didn't always show up on the initial incoming calls. After a call or two, I think things stabilize. Has anybody seen this ?

3. I've also had a couple of fatal crashes on incoming calls ... I think one said something about MemChunk ? This may not be a Ringo issue.

Just a couple of would-be-nice comments:

1. Is it possible to move the incoming call info to the very top ? With full pics it ends up right in the middle which, depending on the pic, sometimes looks odd.

2. It would be great if you could attach the same settings to multiple numbers on the same page, such as TreoPictureID does. I like having the same ringtone and pic for the same individual, whether or not they call from their mobile or home. I've been doing this w/individual prefs but it would be eassier entry if they were combined.

3. I'd like to add my vote for the 16-bit integration if possible, rather than requiring ScreenPrefs.

These are intended to be constructive comments. I love the program so far, and have already registered.
    Originally posted by TreoDude

2. It seems that upon installation and adding a few links to numbers, the pics didn't always show up on the initial incoming calls. After a call or two, I think things stabilize. Has anybody seen this ?

These are intended to be constructive comments. I love the program so far, and have already registered.
    Yep, I've seen this same issue. Seems to work fine after a few calls. I too have already registered Ringo 2.0 and looking forward to v3 getting finalized (and bug-free).

Later,
    Rob
    3. I've also had a couple of fatal crashes on incoming calls ... I think one said something about MemChunk ? This may not be a Ringo issue.
    I have had the same problem with Ringo3b6
    I too, have had the same probblem with 3b6
    I had a couple more crashes today. On at last one the picture came up and the phone was ringing. The crash happened when I flipped open the lid. No error message, just a frozen device. Funny how disturbing resets can be when they involve incoming calls.

Ian, in case it helps in debugging I'm using an 11 entry list in Ringo, all pointing to various sizes of 16-bit images (with ScreenPrefs on 16 bit).
    I believe the Treo 270's display is 12 bit..but it can show 16 bit images etc.

Originally posted by mportune
    Hi Iain, thanks for the info! I may give ringo a whirl this weekend. I'm going to register SplashPhoto as well, so I'm glad to hear ringo works with those images.

>I could roll the ScreenPrefs functionality into Ringo, so that Ringo forces the Treo to 16-bit mode and leaves it there.

I would love to see this. I didn't realize the Treo's native color mode was 8-bit.

However - would running in 16-bit all the time slow it down at all, or eat up the battery faster?

- Matt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast