Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I waited 18 days and my 270 finally came this am. I dutifully charged it.. inserted my SIM and ... it can't find service.. I ran the configure program and it is apparently unable to recognize my Cingular SIM card (or my wife's) which works just fine with our Nokia phones. Called HS and they sent a "reset radio" patch which did nothing and now another unit is on the way.

One thing I noticed (and someone else mentioned this in another thread...) is that the SIM door doesn't really SNAP shut. I kind of press it and it stays but it did actually fall off at one point. Does everyone else's door close with a snap? Anyone else have the same experience? Any ideas? The last thing I want to do is wait around for the Airborne guy again...
    Chris, I've heard of this issue on other devices. If you bend the little SIM door hook out a bit, reinstall it, you will hear it click and fully engage. Beats waiting 18 days.
  3.    #3  
    Well, I bent the plastic hook out a bit but no go... The click was there, but the service wasn't. I called Cingular (per your other post) and they said the SIM itself shouldn't be an issue. My wife and I use them on our Nokia 3390's and this should be directly transferrable to any new phone (per Cingular). They work in our phones...but while the 270 can recognize a SIM is in place.. it states "can not recognize name of wireless carrier on the SIM - please contact HS for support."

I guess I'm the only one this has happened to.. and here I was perparing for the headset/blank screen problems... I guess we'll see what happens with the next phone... if anyone has any other thoughts... I've got nothing but time to try 'em out!
    Chris,

Here's a link to the Handspring support site regarding Subsidy Lock. Maybe it is a carrier issue as you purchased your Treo's w/o service and plan to use your existing service plan.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

Hope this helps.
    The other possability is that your SIM does not have your carrier information on it. My SIM Card originally came with my VisorPhone, carrier VoiceStream. I checked the Phone Information found in Preferences and saw that no phone number was on the SIM card. I tried the SIM in my wife's phone and got the error message. It took Voicestream three weeks and numerous calls to CS (while I like the service nobody in CS has ever heard of a Visorphone) before they finally sent an SMS which flashed the SIM. Had no problem when the TREO arrived six months later.
  6.    #6  
    How would the SIM work in the Nokia without that info? And explain the SMS thing... Can Cingular "flash" some kind of match via SMS that puts thats info on the SIM? Sounds like you're doubting that it's a 270 thing and more of a Cingular thing?
    The only reason I think it is a possability is that the SIM worked in the Visorphone which was the original activation, but not in any other GSM phone until the phone number and service imformation had been flashed onto the SIM. If you go to "Phone Info" which can be found in the "Options Menu" in any of the Phone menus (speed dial, dial pad, history) it should have the following:

Number: your phone number
    IMEI: long number
    SA: another long number
    Firmware Rev: shorter number

These were not there when I first got the VisorPhone. Once VS flashed the card it worked in any GSM phone I tried.

Eric
  8.    #8  
    So here's a question for everyone... Does HS configure the 270 for VoiceStream activation and Cingular activaiton in the same way? CINGULAR seems to think that HS sent me a phone that was not configured for their service.. i.e. it can't read the SIM card because it is a "VoiceStream configured phone." Is that how it works? I guess I thought a SIM is a SIM and that the 270's were otherwise generic... can someone edyecate me on this?
    Where did you buy your phone? Some providers have a "subsidy lock" -- in that the retail price is reduced because the carrier (Cingular, Voicestream, etc.) has paid some of the price of it knowing that you are going to be paying a monthly fee for their service. If you order a phone through say Amazon (who is partnered with Voicestream I think) that phone would ONLY work on the VS network. You would not be able to use your Cingular sim card unless the phone was "unlocked". I bought an unlocked Treo from Handspring [more expensive] but you have the flexibility of changing providers, or selling the unit to someone else on a different network.
    Originally posted by ChrisInDiego
    I kind of press it and it stays but it did actually fall off at one point. Does everyone else's door close with a snap? Anyone else have the same experience? Any ideas?
    Sounds to me like the SIM is not installed in the door correctly if the door will not snap shut. Triple check it.
  11.    #11  
    I bought the phone directly form HS with an extended warranty (already had Cingular Svc). When I hold down the button to go into wireless... it doesn't even get far enough to ask for any unlocking code... it simply freezes for a couple of minutes with the red LED flashing. "No Service" is what I end up with. When I run configure... it can't even read "the name of the wireless service provider" let alone ask for any codes... I'm starting to think Cingular is right and that this phone isn't compatible with Cingular. I don't know what's going on... (One more thing.. I've already switched this very SIM from an Ericsson to this Nokia without any issues whatsoever.. no codes, no nothing). Are the 270's configured differently for different service providers?
  12.    #12  
    I did get it to snap (thanks to DrKnuckle..) and even adjusted to spring to get it to fully press against the contacts.. still no go...
    I bought the phone directly form HS with an extended warranty (already had Cingular Svc). When I hold down the button to go into wireless... it doesn't even get far enough to ask for any unlocking code... it simply freezes for a couple of minutes with the red LED flashing. "No Service" is what I end up with. When I run configure... it can't even read "the name of the wireless service provider" let alone ask for any codes... I'm starting to think Cingular is right and that this phone isn't compatible with Cingular. I don't know what's going on... (One more thing.. I've already switched this very SIM from an Ericsson to this Nokia without any issues whatsoever.. no codes, no nothing). Are the 270's configured differently for different service providers?
    Sounds like if the problem isn't the sim card it is probably the unit itself. I'd try going to a local electronics store -- Fry's Electronics in San Diego has it on display, you can pop in your sim card and verify if it is the unit or the card, and thereby possibly saving a return and hassles.
    Take it from me it could be a sim problem too. I personally kept getting a message saying No sim or Insert Sim (can't exactly remember) or something like that with my sim which worked fine on other phones. It was only when I got a new sim from my service provider that the phone finally worked. I was told it has something to do with old & new types of Sims. A lot of the newer phones don't work with the older sim cards and you have to get a new one. Anyhow that was my personal experience, you might want to check out this aspect too.
  15.    #15  
    Are you aure they are displaying the 270? That's a great idea...
    Even try it in a 180, your just trying to rule out the SIM
  17.    #17  
    I'll try it this afternoon and let eneryone know.. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts...
  18.    #18  
    Well guys... I went to Fry's and slipped the SIM into one of the 180's and it worked like a charm. I saw the dancing Handspring sign and everything! (My 270 just froze up and never got that far..) So, while I'm a bit frustrated that my 270 was defective (after waiting since June 7th!) I am happy that it sounds as though mine is an isolated problem. I just hope the one I'm sending back isn't the one with the "good" screen and headset! LOL.
    Well guys... I went to Fry's and slipped the SIM into one of the 180's and it worked like a charm. I saw the dancing Handspring sign and everything! (My 270 just froze up and never got that far..) So, while I'm a bit frustrated that my 270 was defective (after waiting since June 7th!) I am happy that it sounds as though mine is an isolated problem. I just hope the one I'm sending back isn't the one with the "good" screen and headset! LOL.
    Did you try hard resetting the Treo 270? Push the reset button in the back and hold the power button when you see the Palm icon let go of the power button and press up for "Yes".
  20.    #20  
    You can bet this was done in the first 5 minutes... certainly before I reset the internal cell radio, adjusted the SIM contacts, and drove to Fry's to run my SIM in the 180. I'd be looking pretty stupid if I went through all this and didn't even think about dong a hard reset... besides, I think at this point, judging my the number of posts illustrating the many 270 defects to date, knowing how to do a HARD RESET is prerequisite to owning the 270...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast