1.    #1  
    Ok... ordered the Treo 90 from staples this morning for $240!!! great price... couldn't decide on the 90 or the Visor Pro... but... $240 for color!!! too good of a deal to even concider Black and White...

Ok... is the screen the same size on the Treo 90 as the Visor Prism? My mom has a Prism (bought it for her) and it is pretty nice... I just didn't want to get a older style handspring... and pay the same price or more... So, that's why I ordered the Treo 90...

Someone stated that the Treo's are 12 bit color... and the visor is 16 bit color? is this true?

Also, does anyone make a GPS system for the Treo 90 yet?

Did I make the right decission?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Originally posted by spacescape

Ok... is the screen the same size on the Treo 90 as the Visor Prism?
    The Treo screen is smaller than the Prism screen.

Also, does anyone make a GPS system for the Treo 90 yet?
    no GPS for the treo yet. Considering the SD slot doesn't do I/O, there isn't likely to be one either until/unless someone makes one in either a sled form factor or a cable that you can attach to another standalone GPS unit.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Research first, order second. The prism is brighter, bigger, less memory, has springboard.

I think you did the right thing with the Treo, more memory, keyboard, SD slot, lighter, cover. 16meg is a big plus of onboard memory over the prism.
    Argh. Research first, buy second. You're right. Unfortunately I just ordered a 90 from Handspring's site for $299. *sigh* I should have remembered from their Treo 180 fiasco that they always have the highest prices (and no discounts) on their site.
    I'm just about done with the Treo 90 review, and I will say if you are not the power Springboard user, the Treo 90 is most definantly better.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  6.    #6  
    It won't ship for about 4 days... And I did do plenty of research... the problem is, I was told by both my trusty CDW and Handspring that the Treo 90 is replacing the prism... So, why would I get a prism...

I am not 100% sure the usage of "springboard"... and the prism we do have, doesn't have any accessories... I'm just wondering if I should concider canceling the Order and going with a refurbed Prism... or a black and white Visor Pro...

What is the size of the Treo 90 and the Prism? And are the B&W screens hard to read?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Lets see.. it's only 60%? the weight of the prism, much smaller, useable outside, the screen is readable, it uses an awesome keyboard instead of damned graffiti that never works for me.. (sorry venting frustration...)

Trust yourself, it is an AMAZING handheld.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Hmm, an amazing handheld eh? I wonder what kind of review your going to give it...I am thinking of going to the Treo...but I am just not sure...I know the price difference is astronomical, but the NR70 seems SOOOO nice.....or maybe I will just stick to my trusty Neo...it's been so good to me (Except for the graffiti...but I am not sure about the lack of a backlit keyboard...or taking notes on the little keyboard, if they released a stowaway I might....
    Alex (the Great II)

P.S. Never liked how much bigger and bulkier the Prism was than the other visors...I definitly think the Treo is the way to go...
  9.    #9  
    But... Is the "color" the way to go... Especially if you're getting a "smaller" screen?

Thanks!
    Bill
    I think color is the way to go...especially on the smaller screen. Before I purchased my Visor Neo, I bought a m105 from costco merely to try out and return. While I like the Visor better one thing I liked about the smaller screen was that it was the same amount of pixels so it was a lot sharper than my Visor.
    Alex (the Great II)
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by imabug
    no GPS for the treo yet. Considering the SD slot doesn't do I/O, there isn't likely to be one either until/unless someone makes one in either a sled form factor or a cable that you can attach to another standalone GPS unit.
    Or until there's an SDIO driver... and an SD GPS, which I haven't seen yet either.

FWIW, more SDIO peripherals, IMO, will make an SDIO release more likely--HS will get bombarded with comments like "I want to use this with a 90"--especially as long as the 90 is the only Treo with an expansion slot.
    Did I make the right decission?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Yes

I put my Prism on ebay when the Treo90 came out and placed my order with Staples.com. I've had the thing for a couple of weeks now and it's a blast.

It's light enough that it's always in my pocket so I get a huge amount of use out it. I can take meeting notes with it, which I couldn't do with the Prism because I just never got comfy w/Grafiti.

The screen is usable outdoors in the shade or a car--the Prism never was. I never use it to look at photos so I don't care about the reduced colors--for what I do it's fine. Games are better on the Prism in terms of clarity of display. The Prism has a prettier display.

-reed
    I think treo 90 is good decision. I replaced my prism mainly due to weight and size. You'll like the 16mb. Possiblitily to 128mb more in 1 single tiny sd card. Not readable outdoors (at least for me in sunlight) - but this didn't bother me too much. I'm very used to keyboard after a few weeks but I don't enter large amounts of text. I don't miss graffiti. I suggest very strongly remap least used button on bottom to launcher (I selected to do button - and use memo program for my "to dos") Good luck.
    Larry
    OK, so I don't use Springboard modules, so that's not an issue.

I do have a Stowaway, but your review said I can use my Treo with the Stowaway.

So that leaves me with two issues...

- applications

I've got lot's of third party apps, including apps to replace my VDx built in apps, like DateBook+ (I use DateBK4). I'm assuming that virtually none of these are keyboard enabled.

Will I have any problem running standard Visor/Palm apps on the Treo?

- grafitti
    While I was never a really big fan of grafitti, it was mostly effective in terms of getting text in....I'm not sure a thumb keyboard is more effective...maybe less errors, but, having never used one, I don't know how easy it would be to write up a quick outline, jot notes in my daily journal, etc.

I can see how a thumb board would be easy if you're just making appts or quick ToDo's...but I always seem to have to go into the Notes field to add more words.

Comments?
    Originally posted by gandoe

- applications

I've got lot's of third party apps, including apps to replace my VDx built in apps, like DateBook+ (I use DateBK4). I'm assuming that virtually none of these are keyboard enabled.

Will I have any problem running standard Visor/Palm apps on the Treo?

I can see how a thumb board would be easy if you're just making appts or quick ToDo's...but I always seem to have to go into the Notes field to add more words.

Comments?
    I don't use very many 3rd party apps myself but I've never run into one that didn't work. The Treo keyboard smells the same as Grafiti input to any application. So, no special support needed.

re: typing a lot, I've been pleased with how easy it is to get a lot of typing in without much pain. I've recently started playing with the Quartus Forth dev system and writing a lot of Forth code in the memo pad--I can't imagine doing this with Grafiti.

Aside from the small size allowing me to always have my PDA at hand, the keyboard is the second factor which has turned this into a far more serious work tool than my previous Palm devices.

-reed