1.    #1  
    I've been following the 'best backup software' thread and had a thought.

As most of us were already Visor/Palm users prior to getting a Treo, is there a method or program to do a back via IR from my Treo to an older Visor?

As my Treo has double the memory of my Platinum it would be nice to only sync/backup certain key data, like calendar and phone book data.

It would be EASY, when traveling, to just keep the Platinum in my luggage and sync every night at the hotel.

Is there a way/program?

Thanks /Tim
    Originally posted by Timboyd
    I've been following the 'best backup software' thread and had a thought.

As most of us were already Visor/Palm users prior to getting a Treo, is there a method or program to do a back via IR from my Treo to an older Visor?

As my Treo has double the memory of my Platinum it would be nice to only sync/backup certain key data, like calendar and phone book data.

It would be EASY, when traveling, to just keep the Platinum in my luggage and sync every night at the hotel.

Is there a way/program?

Thanks /Tim
    I'm not a Treo owner because of this issue - not being able to perform an external backup except through the HotSync process. This idea intrigued me, however.

The high-speed standards for IrDA starts at about 115-Kbits/sec (Kbps) to about 4-Mbps (reference). With 8-bits per 1-byte, depending on whom you speak to, it's about 14-Kbytes/sec to 500-Kbytes/sec. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Platinum is capable of only 57-Kbps of data-transfer. Let's assume that 8-Mbytes of data from the Treo is prime for a backup session. Since the Platinum (I don't think) can not receive faster than 57-Kbps, the total time to backup 8-Mbytes of data is about 18 minutes! Of course, this assumes a line-of-sight, uninterrupted connection, on a blue-moon in the month ending in 'r'. 18 minutes would be fine, except that the Treo and Platinum would need to be plugged in so the Ir process doesn't suck all the battery power.

As far as software is concerned, I don't know of any...yet.
    Experience is what happens when something unexpected comes up.