1.    #1  
    I love the Treo 300... BUT, now that the specs are out on the Kyocera 7135, I'm (probably) jumping ship. You have to read the full specs on the 7135, but here are some highlights... expansion card slot, 65,000 color screen, MP3 player, caller ID at top, media player, Palm OS 4.1, GPS, etc. Those are ALL things that the Treo lacks. I don't think I can resist its charms. Kyo, you had me at hello

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/show..._soon_7135.htm

It also says "high resolution" display, but doesn't specify... but I would think that means something greater than 180x180?
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I'm definitely switching. I'll take graffiti + phone keypad + full-size folding keyboard anyday over Treo's take it or leave it thumboard.
    I'm not sold yet on either one. We really don't know anything yet. Perhaps the Treo 300 will have an optional keyboard as well. As for the Keyocera, does anybody know when IT will be released? What carriers will work with it? I'm assuming that since it's a CDMA phone that it will work with Sprint's new network whenever that comes out.
    Anybody?
    The Kyocera is scheduled for a 4th quarter 2002 release. It will likely be offered by both Sprint and Verizon and will be able to take advantage of their 1xRTT networks.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Robert, I've jumped already. I am skipping the treo 300 and waiting for this phone. Man, it is everything that I'm looking for: hi res (hopefully true) 16 bit color display, SD expansion, normal phone keys+graffiti, mp3s, flip design, external caller ID, 3G, etc. 3-6 months is going to seem like 3-6 years.
    I think that something better will come along by the time this device is released. There will always be something better, so folks need to decide what exactly they need and make a final decision. Otherwise, 10 years from now you will still be waiting for the next big thing.
    yardie, couldn't have said it any better.....
    I think the big differences we're seeing between this phone and the Treo rest in the two companies backgrounds.

TREO: Handspring - PDA builder. Key features: thumbboard built in (and backlit) for easier input, transparent clamshell lid for schedule alert viewing.

7135: Kyocer - Phone maker. Key features: Numeric keypad for easier (and blind) dialing, caller ID at the top (like a pager).

Other features have me leaning toward the phonemaker - after all, these devices are COMMUNICATORS first. The biggest irony? Handspring, the company that brought you the first truly expandable Palm device, is aced out in the expansion arena by a phonemaker!

Kupe
  9.    #10  
    iJITSU, I was wondering what you were going to have to say on this subject. I saw your post on another forum where it looked like you were ready to go for either the Kyo or Samsung over the Treo... and that was before they released the Kyo's specs. The 7135 has so much more than the 300 that I just can't see a good reason (for me) to go for the 300. I've never even used a thumb keyboard anyway, and one of the options listed for the 7135 is a fold up keyboard. The expansion card slot is the biggest feature to me. The 7135 is pretty much a laptop computer that is the size of a small phone.

Yardie... yep, something better always comes along at some point. The thing we've all got going for us now is that NOTHING is available yet... so it's fun to speculate as each new tidbit of info comes out. Unless I know about something better before the 7135 is released it will take me 10 seconds, not years, to make a decision
    Robert
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I think the one thing people seem to be missing here about the Kyo vs. Treo thing is One-handed operation. For me, that's the factor that kills the Kyo altogether.

Think about the situation when you want to dial one of the thousand people in your contact list who don't happen to be programmed in speed dial. With the Treo, you use your right (or left in my case) thumb to type the first initial followed by the last initial on the keyboard, use the rocker to choose from that person's numbers, and press the rocker to dial. Unless I'm missing something here, on the Kyo, you're reaching for the stylus, which immediately requires two hands, which makes dialing while driving (or carrying anything) a major pain in the ****.

And I keep hearing people complain that in order to dial a random number on the Treo, you have to use your finger on the screen. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you look at the keyboard, you'll see that it has a standard-layout number pad, just like any other phone. Sure, the buttons are a bit smaller, but in about two days you'll find it easy to dial without looking. If you start dialing numbers, it immediately switches to the keypad screen, which has people mistakenly thinking that you have to dial on the screen. This was true of VisorPhone, but not Treo.

SMS and email are two more advantages that the Treo has over the Kyocera, again because of the keyboard.

Handspring went through a lot of trouble to program the keyboard in such a way to make using the stylus a very rare thing. They don't do a great job necessarily of documenting all of the hidden keystrokes, which has resulted in a lot of people getting the wrong idea about just how easy Treo is to use in day to day operations. I'd be curious to see if Kyocera makes similar shortcuts available on this new device. Otherwise, the only advantage I see with the Kyo is a hi-res screen and memory expansion, two things that are important for PDA übergeeks, but not people who just want to be connected. At that point, you might as well go Sony, or PocketPC, who both lead the way in Multimedia laptop wannabes.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    I think the one thing people seem to be missing here about the Kyo vs. Treo thing is One-handed operation. For me, that's the factor that kills the Kyo altogether.

Think about the situation when you want to dial one of the thousand people in your contact list who don't happen to be programmed in speed dial. With the Treo, you use your right (or left in my case) thumb to type the first initial followed by the last initial on the keyboard, use the rocker to choose from that person's numbers, and press the rocker to dial. Unless I'm missing something here, on the Kyo, you're reaching for the stylus, which immediately requires two hands, which makes dialing while driving (or carrying anything) a major pain in the ****.
    Aside from the 7135's voicedial capabilities, it will likely have the ability to dial from the address book like all the other PalmOS smartphones using one hand. With my I300, using one hand, I simply hit the address book key, scroll until I reach my contact, select it with the voicedial key, use the volume keys to select my number, then hit the voicedial key to dial it. I imagine the 7135 will use a similar approach. I think most of these PalmOS smartphone manufacturers realize the importance of one-handed operation, for phone use anyways. Samsung included several options on the I300 to overcome the lack of a hard keypad for dialing purposes...judging from the specs and design of the 7135, it looks like Kyocera put a lot of development time into this device and I don't think they would overlook something as crucial as one-handed phone operation using the address book.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I really wanted to get a Treo 300. But when I look over at the Treo 270 Boards, all is see is people returning their Treos and talking about the poor screen and disconnect. I hope the 300 fixes those problems and comes out soon! If not, it might be worth suffering for another 3 months and waiting for the Kyocera.
    I think the improved screen, expansion slot and MP3 player are huge! It's like the best of a Sony and a Treo!
  13.    #14  
    With my Kyo 6035 it is very easy to dial from the address book with one hand (using the jog dial button on the side). All of the important phone related functions can be easily accessed without opening the flip. The 6035 is definitely phone first, PDA second. So since Kyocera got it right with the 6035 I am confident that they will get it right with the 7135.

Actually, I rarely use the dial pad or address book to dial calls anyway. Sprint PCS's voice-command service (included in my plan) is awesome (you can import your entire address book at their website).
    Robert
    Keyboard versus Graffitti ---

I find both a pain in the **** to use. So do I want "keyboard thumbs" aka "game controller thumbs" or do I want to play "where the $&#* is my stylus" with a rowdy round of "how the $&#* do I make an "x"". Since massive amounts of data entry on a handheld is really only for geeks with taped glasses it becomes a rather moot point. Really, I am waiting for someone to brag about entering the entire Russian version of "War and Peace", just to see how long it takes.

What it boils down to for me is:

1. Reliability. HS has problems and Kyocer is not available, but the 6035 is getting rave reviews and I have heard of no hardware issues with it.

2. Price. I already have Sprint, so if I have to pay full price for the 300 or the 7135 --- I'll probably wrap my kilt around me self and get the 6035.

3. Compatability. I have an m105 with QuickOffice, ProCalc Mega, AvantGo, and SpalshId. I doubt if those will be problems.

4. Nice. 7135 --- Voice commands and memos. SD slot. External caller ID. 300 --- I'm trying ... unnnnggghhh!!!! Oh Treo Mail (???)

Gary
    Originally posted by Gary G. Little

2. Price. I already have Sprint, so if I have to pay full price for the 300 or the 7135
    Sprint will often give you the discounted price if you agree to renew your annual contract with them.
    Don't get too excited about the 7135 yet. Sprint has not made any plans to carry this phone.

Kyocera has not brought any of hese phones to the Sprint lab to test yet, and once everything is said and done, the phone won't launch until 1-2nd Q of 03. That might be too late to get into this market with so many new "Smart Devices" coming out sooner. It might just price itself too high.

But who knows. It is a great device.

homer
    The Kyocera looks to be an impressive piece of hardware, but it really comes down to form over function. I don't download MP3s, so that aspect is not attractive to me. The keyboard on the treo is very attractive. I've played with the Treo 90 in the store, and the keyboard was a winner. The lack of a keyboard on the Kyocera is a minus for me. I don't want to pay extra for a keyboard, when it come ingrained in the treo. Grafiti, hey i get a free program for that as well.

Expansion, for me I've only used at best 5mb on my visor neo (that was with the minstrel S modem) at one give time. The 16mb on the treo will be enough for me, but not for all.

In closing, is not really about what device is the best, its about what device is best for you. Quit complaining about what a device lacks, and buy the device that has what you want!

EWHJ02

PS. Waiting for the Treo 300. August here I come.
    "Try Not! Do or Do Not! There is no try! Yoda