1.    #1  
    Hi,

i'm looking for the Treo 180 ROM to use with HandSpring's POSE 3.1
    POSE can download ROM from handled but only using serial port and, of course, Treo is delivered with USB cable. :angry:

Anyone can help me ?
    Hacking FreeMax
    <I><a href="http://groups.msn.com/TreoFrance">TreoFrance</a> , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo</i>
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Good Luck,
    I've been waiting on a ROM image from Handspring since just after the device (180) shipped. We need it to fix a problem with one of our PQA's on the treo. I've heard nothing from Handspring after repeated emails and we are developers.
    It's pretty sad, I bought a treo so I could demonstrate how much better the product was than a RIM (blackberry) device. But I can't get them to send me a ROM so we can demo a functioning PQA.

As a result we demo using iPaq's instead.

If you manage to get a good 180 ROM, I'd like a copy, obviously Handspring is not going to bother. Guess I know what the springboard developers feel like.
    Don't the standard techniques of sucking one out of your own device work for Treo?
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The POSE tool only works with a serial connection, so it can't be used on the TREO.

So you have to get it from Handspring, but they haven't bothered to respond, thus compounding the issue.

no wonder the stock is in the dumper, they have great tech, but can't run the business side properly.

Sony is Palm's last hope.
    There is a way to do it through USB and POSE. I think it involved copying some USB DLL into the POSE directory.

Can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure I read about it in a thread over at PDABuzz.

The discussion was about extracting ROMS through POSE for Palm Mxxx series PDAS. No idea if it would work for Treos.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
  6.    #6  
    I 've tried to copy USB DLL into the POSE directory but it didn't work (i think the possible ports - COM1 & COM2) are hard coded in POSE and the fact you copy USB DLL into the POSE directory changes nothing).

BUT...
    ... i've succed in donwloading ROM image from my Treo 180 using SyncWizard (great tool !).
    So now i have a ROM image of Treo 180k !
    It runs with HS POSE 3.1 (choose Treo 180 device but not Treo 270 as POSE proposes by default)

If someone needs it, no prob, email me.
    Hacking FreeMax
    <I><a href="http://groups.msn.com/TreoFrance">TreoFrance</a> , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo</i>
  7.    #7  
    It would be great if someone could do the same with a Treo 270 ROM !
    Hacking FreeMax
    I downloaded the 270 rom from my Treo using the article described on Falch.net (http://www.falch.net/Articles/?art=166)

But... it won't work with Handspring's POSE 3.1h5. I get the following error when I try to run it:

Unable to determine an appropriate device emulation for this ROM file.

Palm Computing does not support the use of this ROM. Use it with caution, as the operation of a ROM with an incorrect device emulation will certainly cause the ROM to crash, and may crash the Palm OS Emulator.

I then click OK, and get the following error:

"Unhandled exception caught in WinMain.
    Dying like a log..."

Any ideas? Perhaps the Treo270's rom is bigger than 2048K? Perhaps I need to download more of the memory range?
    FreeMax,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding SyncWizard!
    I used it to succesfully download the ROM from my handheld, and now it works perfectly in POSE. I am a happy camper!
    Last edited by johnhamm; 06/25/2002 at 11:43 PM.