1.    #1  
    Well I was using my Treo 270 today to surf with Blazer, when suddenly it turned off. No screen light, no blinking network light, nothing. Closing and opening the lid nothing. Pressing power button , nothing. Pressing reset button for soft reset, nothing. Finally plugged into AC adaptor and after a few seconds the Palm OS startup screen. The battery was almost full when it crashed, so it's not low power. When it came back on, everything was gone as if it had done a hard reset! The only hack I had in there was a datacallhack for Cell Plan tracker 1.2 using X-Master.

I've been complaining about the screen (and I still am), but functionally the unit has been working fine for the past four days until now. Anyone else seen anything like this? Of course with no backup slot, I've lost everything I've entered for the past day or so. From what I'm reading on these boards seems like an abnormally high failure rate right now.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Well I was using my Treo 270 today to surf with Blazer, when suddenly it turned off. No screen light, no blinking network light, nothing. Closing and opening the lid nothing. Pressing power button , nothing. Pressing reset button for soft reset, nothing. Finally plugged into AC adaptor and after a few seconds the Palm OS startup screen. The battery was almost full when it crashed, so it's not low power. When it came back on, everything was gone as if it had done a hard reset! The only hack I had in there was a datacallhack for Cell Plan tracker 1.2 using X-Master.

I've been complaining about the screen (and I still am), but functionally the unit has been working fine for the past four days until now. Anyone else seen anything like this? Of course with no backup slot, I've lost everything I've entered for the past day or so. From what I'm reading on these boards seems like an abnormally high failure rate right now.
    Sounds like it could be a power problem [inside the unit]. The unit would only hard reset if it had absolutely no power, so either the battery was run down to the very bottom, or an electrical connection is bad, or the battery is defective.

I think failures are inevitable especially on a brand spanding new device built from the ground up -- you don't see a lot of problems on devices like the Palm m515, because they change 1 thing on the device and jack the price up another $50. You have to give Handspring credit for packing in the features and having a software-stable device. I think a lot of people in general *aren't* having problems. They just aren't posting so it seems skewed or people are making big problems out of little things (the brighter upper right corner -- which I hardly notice anymore).

Doug
  3.    #3  
    After I got it working, I did a couple of hotsyncs with just the cable, so the battery seems like it's OK. Could be a connection problem internally, but I don't know yet. Does the sim card cover push out a bit on yours? It's not a big deal, but when using the keyboard if you push on the back I'm pushing on the cover and it feels almost like it doesn't fit quite right. I'm only wondering if this is normal or if it could be related.
    I had the same thing happen twice, right after I got my unit about 5 days ago.

On a hunch, I cleaned the SIM card contacts with an eraser, and haven't seen the problem since.

I had an existing SIM card, from my previous phone, and the contacts were a bit corroded looking. Anyway, my behavior was exactly the same as yours. Knock on wood, haven't seen it since.
    socaldrummer/Treo 270 user
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info. I looked at the SIM card and it looks fine and clean, but I brushed it off with a clean cloth just in case. However, tonight it did it again, the same thing as last time, I was using Blazer and then pow! Powered off, no lights no response. Plug into AC and it powers on with everything gone. Guess it's time to call Handspring.

Originally posted by socaldrummer
    I had the same thing happen twice, right after I got my unit about 5 days ago.

On a hunch, I cleaned the SIM card contacts with an eraser, and haven't seen the problem since.

I had an existing SIM card, from my previous phone, and the contacts were a bit corroded looking. Anyway, my behavior was exactly the same as yours. Knock on wood, haven't seen it since.
    Hi , bcaslis
    I have had this same problem too ! but it happened with my 180g. However I already return this unit to handspring with the speaker shut off problem instead of the power's problem because it only happen to me one time but my speaker problem is more seriously.
    Hope you get a good luck this time with your new replacement unit.