1.    #1  
    I found an older site where this guy synch's his palm to his home PC by dialing up his ISP then synching to the IP address of his DSL connection. Has anyone ever tried something like this on a Treo? It would be cool!!

a

Here's the URL:

http://www.geocities.com/daveinfopag...ethotsync.html
    I haven't done it on the treo, but used to do it on the prism and visor phone.

I do have broadband access, so it was a little quicker.

Visor central probable still has instruction on how to accomplish this.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    cool. I have a dsl connection but I'm passing through a router/firewall. Do you know what ports would need to be open in order to access that particular PC?

Thanks,
    a
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    There are a bunch of posts related to this on an old thread somewhere in VisorCentral. I was able to set it up to run on my computer - almost. Basically you just have to enable network hotsync on the desktop client, add your IP info to modem hotsync on the treo (or other palm) and select a dial up connection.

Now - that's more complicated then it soudns, especially when you're sharing internet connections. In fact, I got it working when I plugged my computer directly into the cable modem. However, when I restored the setup we usually use, with my computer plugged into a hib using Internet Connection Sharing, using XP, I can't get the treo to find my desktop. I think it has to do with the firewall or perhaps ports that I need to open or maybe the computer just can't SEE anything happening when I ping the gateway. Anyway, it IS possible under certian circumstances....
    sck18,

what is your router?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I don't have a router per se, but rather one computer acting as the 'gateway' , connected to both the cable modem and the hub via separate network cards, with the second computer(mine) connected to the hub as well.

Does that answer your question?
    Why would someone want to do this? At 9.6 kbps, the hotsync would take forever and the battery drain would be enormous. GPRS would speed things up, but you would use up your MB alottment in no time.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I'm not saying it's necessarily the best idea in all cases (e.g. when you're physically next to your computer...) - but - what if you're only really interested in restoring your datebook and phonebook, perhaps after a catastophic hard reset?

If your home pc is still on, it's syncable if this works.

(Not that I've ever had to do a hard reset while away - but others might...)