1.    #1  
    I have a lot of prior experience with many PDAs, but this is my first Treo, so I have a few questions and then a few comments on the 270 for those looking for user impressions.

Questions:
    Handspring seems to have done a lot of effort into making functions on the screen controllable from the keyboard. I think this is the right thing to do, but there seem to be some glaring omissions unless I'm just not finding the info. In the phone application, when you receive a call I can't find anyway to control the on-screen button. My pressing need is that I define extra keys for my voicemail numbers. When you call, it displays a button to play those extra keys (I thought it should have done this automatically), but the only way I see to press that button is tapping the screen. Only the speakerphone button seems to be able to be activated by pressing the space key. Anyone know how to use the keyboard for the other buttons?

In the launcher, both the jog dial and the scroll buttons seem to only scroll by page. There doesn't seem to be any way to select an app to launch except by tapping the screen. On a Sony Clie, the scroll buttons scroll by page, but the jog dial scrolls by app and selects it. It seems the Treo doesn't do this, am I missing something?

On the 270, option + any of the four app buttons will launch pre-defined apps. You can set the normal key mapping in prefs, but no way to control the option key mapping. I know there are a couple of apps out there to let you do this, but why didn't Handspring provide this?

It seems the CD only contains the installers? For example, there's no way to install one-touch without going through the configuration utility? Seems very strange to me. Did I miss something? No other demo software or anything on the CD?

Comments:
    Boy, this screen is bad. I can see if you are coming from a b&w screen this is better, but it's really pathetic for any color Palm today. I can't think of any Palm I've ever seen as bad. Even the 505 was dim, but with a light source it was really good. This screen is close to useless in sunlight and has the most uneven lighting I've ever seen. It's even more outrageous that they are putting this in something with $699 list price.

I just got this yesterday, but it has the handset hang-up problem people are talking about in other threads. I'm willing to cut them some slack but this sort of problem I would have expected to be worked out in the 180 (which as far as I can tell didn't have this problem).

The Treo seems like a pretty good phone, but I'm not yet sold on it being a good PDA too. If you are coming from a lower-end model it's OK, but if you have had a higher-end model, it's a disappointment. It probably is OK on speed, but that screen is very slow to respond as well as being poor and it makes the device just feel slow.

I've only had this for a day. so I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it grows on me. I could live with the limitations if it had an OK screen, but it doesn't so although I love the idea I haven't decided if I can live with the device yet.
    You seem to a lot of complaints and find a lot fo faults with the unit. Why don't you return and get something else?

Here are the answers to your questions:

Question #1

The Reutn button can answer a call and the the backspace button can end a call. The Blue option + Space Bar or Return key= "Yes" "OK" etc. The Blue option + Backspace key = no, cancel etc. Read the manual. Or at the very least, read the keyboard tutorial. They have a good tutotial at handspring.com/support.

Question #2

Well you can't select a program using the Jog Dial. At least not with the Jog Rocker. Tapping is must faster anyways. Type the first letter that the application starts with and tap on it with your finger if you do not want to remove the stylus.

Question #3

Your guess is as good as mine about the option + silver button thing. There are lots of things that PDA manufacturers leave out from their PDA. This is why developers are out there to fill the gap. The third party solutions are usually better than hte built-in solutions anyhow.

Question#4

I am pretty sure that you will find One Touch Mail on your computer if you search for it.It may be in a folder in the Handspring directory.

Couple of comments about your comments:

1. How can they work out a bug that wasn't a bug in the Treo 180?

2. It is outrageous that you spend all that money on a device that you think sucks.

3. The Treo was not meant to be a higher end device in terms of PDA features. It was meant to be a convergent device with drawbacks, limitations, pros and cons. Hybrid devices are usually not as good asif they are separate. A separate VCR and TV would be better than a TV/VCR hybrid for example.
  3.    #3  
    Yardie,

Thanks for your replies. I have read the manual (although it would be more nice if they could have included a printed one also).

In question 1, the biggest thing I'm looking for is a way to start the "extra keys" button like for voicemail without having to pull out the stylus. I still don't see a way to do that.

In question 2, believe it or not I realize you can tap the screen. I don't think it's unreasonable to look for a way to launch an app using the keyboard or a button on a device like this. Both the Sony Clies and the new Treo 90 allow you to do this.

Finally, I wonder why the first reaction of people is to get defensive when someone criticizes a device. If you read what I wrote you'll see I say that I think the screen sucks bigtime, not the whole Treo. I think it really drags down the whole Treo experience unnecessarily and a better screen would improve the whole device in terms of quality and perceived speed. I'm well aware that the best of individual pieces are better than a compromise. I just think they went too far in the compromise that makes it much less attractive tha it should be.
  4.    #4  
    FYI, for anyone interested by trying all the keys, I found that pressing return on the keyboard is the same as pressing the "Extra Digits" key when you have those setup under speed dialing. I couldn't find this in the manual anywhere or the on-screen help.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    I have a lot of prior experience with many PDAs, but this is my first Treo, so I have a few questions and then a few comments on the 270 for those looking for user impressions.

Comments:
    Boy, this screen is bad. I can see if you are coming from a b&w screen this is better, but it's really pathetic for any color Palm today. I can't think of any Palm I've ever seen as bad. Even the 505 was dim, but with a light source it was really good. This screen is close to useless in sunlight and has the most uneven lighting I've ever seen. It's even more outrageous that they are putting this in something with $699 list price.
    This is a surprising comment since I'm quite happy with the Treo 270's screen myself. I also own a Palm IIIc and a Handspring Prism which both have very bright screens and I think that the 270's screen compares favorably to them. The bright spot in the upper right hand corner is annoying I'll grant you but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the screen. Have you tried playing around with the contrast settings (Option+Q)? I've found that with a little tweaking, I can get the Treo screen to look pretty good (or at least usable) in sunlight. Of course, this immediately made me yearn for a way to save preset contrast settings on my Treo 270.
  6.    #6  
    I have played around with the controls and yes you can get the screen better by using them, but then of course you have to keep fiddling for different conditions. I would sum up my problems with the screen as:

1.) Washes out badly in direct sunlight (it's OK but not great in shade). Back when only the IIIc and Prism were out (I used to have both) this would have been acceptable, but today when every other screen is either reflective or transflective I don't think this is acceptable in this expensive a unit (I can understand doing it to cut costs in the Treo 90 unit).

2. Very strong blue tint. You might not notice it as much if you were comparing it to a b&w unit, but hold it next to any other color screen (especially a Sony NR70) and you'll see how blue the whites actually are.

3. Very slow redraw rate. I don't think I've ever seen a color Palm that had such a slow color screen.

4. Uneven lighting with the strong bright spot in the upper right.

It's OK if someone else thinks these are OK or doesn't think they are as big a deal. Personally, I'm very disappointed in the screen. I didn't expect it to be nearly as good as a Sony, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I haven't yet made up my mind on whether to keep the unit yet or not. It's fine as a second PDA, but I want to either consolidate my phone and PDA into one to reduce what I have to carry or just keep my current setup and wait for something better. Certainly I think Handspring has done a better job integrating a phone and PDA than anyone else has yet, I just don't know if it's good enough for my wants.
    Washes out badly in direct sunlight (it's OK but not great in shade).
    I'm already missing the Voice Dial feature on my Samsung 6100 -- it would help with the poor visibility outdoors.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!