Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hi Everybody,

I wonder i someone could take the time to help me out. I'm new to handhelds and not very hip to connectivity issues. I have 2 main questions. Please excuse if they sound retarded..

1.) What is the main difference between the 270 and the 300? I guess the heart of that query is what is the difference between GPRS & CDMA, right?

2.) Is there any way to sent and recieive attachments on the Treos?

Thanks in advance....
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Please???
    1.) What is the main difference between the 270 and the 300? I guess the heart of that query is what is the difference between GPRS & CDMA, right?
    The main difference between the two is that GPRS works on the GSM networks of (in US) Cingular and Voicestream networks. And the new CDMA phone will work on Sprint's PCS 3G network.
    These networks vary in performance around the country, so you could be in an area where GSM is better than the new 3G network and vice-versa.
    It isn't a very technical explanation, but I'm sure someone else can offer you one. (more qualified than me

Hopefully, it answers your question and it's correct.....

As far as #2, hopefully someone who actually has the Treo and has done this can help.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks R, I'll take any help I can get...
    I believe MultiMail Pro and Iambic mail allow you to send and receive attachments. It has nothing to do with the device (Treo). You can use any Palm OS mail client with the unit. There are a couple of them out there.
    Your question is actually...what is the difference between GSM and CDMA. The easy answer is...they are two differnt cellular networks. GSM is the european standard. GSM is not as popular here but is quickly on the rise and most carriers will probably switch in the years to come. GSM carriers in the US include VoiceStream and Cingular. (Cingular is GSM in California).

CDMA carriers in the US include Sprint, Verizon and Cingular among a few others.

GSM phones use the GPRS standard for higher speed data transmissions. CDMA phones use the 3G services CDPD.

Which is better? I don't know. Like the previous reply..It depends what service is better in your area. I live in the philadelphia and I'd say Verizon's Service (CDMA) is the best here...although I had to switch to Voicestream (GSM) so I could buy the Treo. Let's hope our country picks a standard so we all win in the end.

Here is a great explanation of What is GSM from Ask.com
    http://www.ask.com/main/followup.asp...Jeeves%26kbid%
    --NickC--
    I live in the philadelphia and I'd say Verizon's Service (CDMA) is the best here...although I had to switch to Voicestream (GSM) so I could buy the Treo. Let's hope our country picks a standard so we all win in the end.
    Nick - Sounds like you live in the same area as me (South Jersey). I agree with you that Verizon is the best in our area, but I also have Verizon (till I get my 270). After you used it for awhile, please post back how you like the Voicestream service. Thanks....
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks, everyone! - very helpful!
    Robertruelan....you asked of my impressions of Voicestream in the Mount Laurel, NJ Area.

I live near 38 & Larchmont if that helps you understand exactly which side of Mt. Laurel I live near.

First...It's certainly not Verizon. I lose reception if I walk too far into my condo. Outdoors is usually always fine. Data service in the area has been non-existent (thru Earthlink) except when I call the ISDN number which works 75% of the time. I did go down the shore last weekend and the phone worked fine. I hear Voicestream just bumpped-up ther service down there based on their website news. My service gripes are usually always to do with the indoors.

I usually travel to Cincinatti, Atlanta, North Jersey, and Winston Salem, NC. I havn't been to any of these places since I received the Treo, but they all appear to have coverage according to the VS Coverage maps. I'll let you know how it works there as well when I do travel again. Note that reception through Verizon works everywhere I go except near exit 7 or 7A on the turnpike where I lose coverage for about 1 minute. I never dropped a call with them.

As far as local coverage where I give Verizon 5 out of 5 stars...I'll only give Voicestream 3 out of 5.

But the nice little piece of hardware I now own makes up for another one of those stars.

-NickC-

PS - I friend of mine at work just bought a Kyrocera(sp?) palm phone for about $100 from Verizon. I was 'almost' alittle jealous for a minute. That is until I felt it. It feels like it weighs 10 pounds compared to the Treo. Compared to my hardware choices out today...I'll still stick with the Treo. But I'm sure something new will be out tomorrow.
    --NickC--